Sponsored

Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin?

Domsz

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Welder
Hey Everyone, want to start building my truck up to start going over landing. Haven’t really seen many options for the regular cabs. If anyone has some info on where should I begin, would be really awesome and helpful. Also if you have an overlanding rig, drop some pics. Would like to get some inspiration
Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Hey Everyone, want to start building my truck up to start going over landing. Haven’t really seen many options for the regular cabs. If anyone has some info on where should I begin, would be really awesome and helpful. Also if you have an overlanding rig, drop some pics. Would like to get some inspiration
I've been pretty impressed with what I see coming from Falcon.
https://www.falconshocks.com/

I'm waiting for my warranty to expire and my last payment before I start moding but once I do, that's going to be my 1st upgrade.

It's nice to see that "I'm" not the only one NOT slamming their F150 RCSB 4x4 for "racing". Although I'm sure the 5.0 in a little tiny truck like ours makes a HELL OF A race truck!

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Domsz

Domsz

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Welder
Yeah have been debating for if I wanted to drop it and do that whole “race” look. But more adventures off roading. Just hard to see what people offer, not much for regular cabs. Good luck in your build !

Jean Deaux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 5.0
It's nice to see that "I'm" not the only one NOT slamming their F150 RCSB 4x4 for "racing". Although I'm sure the 5.0 in a little tiny truck like ours makes a HELL OF A race truck!

Good luck!
In my very humble opinion, the worst thing you can do to your truck is slamming it. Slammed trucks remind me baggy pants "I proudly shat myself" with belt line below underwear - esthetically and practically. I know that many people find them attractive and I respect their choice. But when I see those poor slammed trucks, my heart can't stop bleeding.

krist

First Name
Krist
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 RCSB
Occupation
Field Service Engineer
Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? 1000001999

What overlanding gear are you looking for that won't work on a regular cab? I have some Husky tubs from Home Depot to put my camping gear in. Done-zo...
Let the Tacoma bros clutter up the exterior of their trucks with maxtrax and rotopax. 99.9% of that stuff will never see any use. It's peacock feathers, man.
Just my opinion, tho.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Domsz

Domsz

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Welder
1000001999.jpg

What overlanding gear are you looking for that won't work on a regular cab? I have some Husky tubs from Home Depot to put my camping gear in. Done-zo...
Let the Tacoma bros clutter up the exterior of their trucks with maxtrax and rotopax. 99.9% of that stuff will never see any use. It's peacock feathers, man.
Just my opinion, tho.
Wow nice truck, what tire size are you running ? I was looking to get a bed rack for the truck just not sure which one. Thinking of the Mid XTR1

krist

First Name
Krist
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 RCSB
Occupation
Field Service Engineer
Tires are 315/70r17 Falken Rubitreks, I think. About 34.5" tall.

I have the Yakima Overhaul rack, I think. It's remarkably stout. I use it for transporting my canoes, primarily. Lower options are available in the same product line for rooftop tents and the like.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
In my very humble opinion, the worst thing you can do to your truck is slamming it. Slammed trucks remind me baggy pants "I proudly shat myself" with belt line below underwear - esthetically and practically. I know that many people find them attractive and I respect their choice. But when I see those poor slammed trucks, my heart can't stop bleeding.
I don't know man... some of the "slammed" F150 RCSB 4x4 5.0 trucks posted here look like a HELL OF A LOT of "fun too me!

..but DAMN!

What a waste of a perfectly good "off-road" MONSTER!

4x2... sure. I "get it".

But a 4x4?
:cautious:

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I've got a few thousand miles under my belt driving trails between this truck and my last excursion. In my opinion, you're not limited at all with a regular cab. I also throw all my gear in those yellow top plastic totes and hit the road. I mount some RCI bed bars for trips that my Roofnest Sparrow goes on, but that's about it as far as the "overland" stuff.
have quite a bit of gear that comes with me in the bed as well. If you plan on doing any decent off-roading I would invest in suspension and decent tires (including a matching spare) before anything else. The traction boards are cheap amazon knock off's and work fine.

My setup:
Fox 2.0's with Camburg billet upper control arms
BFG KO2 (285 70 17's)
Method 316's (17x8.5)
WeBoost Cell signal booster
Rugged RDM-DB Radio with a bulletproof diesel 3rd brake light antenna mount
RCI Skid plates

Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? 1
Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? 69522947604__72F4CE62-F07A-4ABA-A414-08B775A7649A.fullsizerender
Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? IMG_7206
Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? IMG_6232
I

Sponsored

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat 502A FX4 5.0
another alternative that's very popular in Australia for the serious overlanders is to remove the bed entirely and replace it with a full camper set up...

Here are a couple of ideas...

Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? American-truck-single-cab

Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? Insane-ute-canopy

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
Here is my setup:
Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? 1kyl6Tsy-5SUP8fYQSyu8bbWxJuXynpzMP7mT_Clc6pm=w2400

Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? I74mqpD-kAJQlY5woNUbdXAm4WmsWcxSf5HwG4PriuVC=w2400

Bak MX4 rolling tonneau
Adarac aluminum mid height rack
Freespirit RTT (similar to the Roofnest above, I didn't want flappy window shades)
12v fridge in passenger rear, 12v Dr. Prepare battery (see my other posts), 12v electric blanket for winter use, inflatable 4in air/foam mattress to replace RTT mattress - when deflated makes enough room to store bedding in the tent; chairs, traction board, air compressor, tow straps, etc live in or under the Bak box in the bed

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I like your tent! My roofnest was perfect for me but a little tight with the GF. Definitely would like to upgrade to a side opening, larger tent.

OP
OP
Domsz

Domsz

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Welder
I've got a few thousand miles under my belt driving trails between this truck and my last excursion. In my opinion, you're not limited at all with a regular cab. I also throw all my gear in those yellow top plastic totes and hit the road. I mount some RCI bed bars for trips that my Roofnest Sparrow goes on, but that's about it as far as the "overland" stuff.
have quite a bit of gear that comes with me in the bed as well. If you plan on doing any decent off-roading I would invest in suspension and decent tires (including a matching spare) before anything else. The traction boards are cheap amazon knock off's and work fine.

My setup:
Fox 2.0's with Camburg billet upper control arms
BFG KO2 (285 70 17's)
Method 316's (17x8.5)
WeBoost Cell signal booster
Rugged RDM-DB Radio with a bulletproof diesel 3rd brake light antenna mount
RCI Skid plates

1.png
69522947604__72F4CE62-F07A-4ABA-A414-08B775A7649A.fullsizerender.png
IMG_7206.png
IMG_6232.png
I
Your set up is clean and simple, really like this. What made you get the bars instead of the rack from RCI ?
Sponsored