Sponsored

Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin?

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I would want at least a Ford Supercab to gain the storage space inside the cab. I have gone this way with every truck where this was an option. I never want to have to inside my slide in camper to get something like a water bottle or a jacket or minor tools or a fire extinguisher or flares. I had regular cab trucks for 20 years when the only option was a crew cab pickup with a much longer wheelbase.
Sponsored

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Your set up is clean and simple, really like this. What made you get the bars instead of the rack from RCI ?
Cheaper, lighter, easier to remove and store. I only mount them up for camping trips. Very happy with the setup

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
My suggestions that work for me and our overland group so far, research first then :
Safety, reliability, performance then fun stuff.

1. Min required: first aid kit, fire extinguisher, recovery points, static recovery strap 20', shackles bow or soft, tools, air down air up compressor, handheld radio, Gaia GPS or On X navigation pre loaded routes for offline use, start with OnX, another rig or group. no solo yet

2. Food water shelter: Skip rack n RTT for now ($$) just get a tent n go, (coleman sundome 2P or 3P $45-$65) medium sized bins, (steriilite with gasket, water n racoon proof) chair costco rifdgeline aluminum directors chair $39, walmaet quad chair $8, Ozark Trail 10 deg bag $40, Ozark folding pad $40 , Intex air matress and a DC pump, water jug (reliance), single burner butane stove $30, good coffee, stanley stainless french press $25 , real shovel (4' garden Home Depot) and biodegradable toilet paper, LOL
Walmart and Amazon are your friends. Do a gear test trip at a local camp site.

Rig:
3. At a Min level kit with Fox or Icon then can fit tires ie 35x11.5 17 or 18 R (33-34's could work for now)
4. Must have real AT tires, BFG KO2 or Nitto ridge grappler and a full size spare OEM good enough for now. get a better jack later
5. fab n weld your own sliders, later
6. Full Skids, (RCI or Ford OEM), bumper n winch, later
7. lights later, amozon nilight, cheap and good, will save you hundreds, replaceable

8. Find buddy or local group to go with and just get out there and have fun. So many great easy trails in Socal to start with. Don't solo yet

FYI: your shorter wheelbase should be better on tight trails .

Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? 20231005_154546

Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? 20231006_100004
Ford F-150 Regular Cab Overland Build - Where to Begin? 20240303_074426

Last edited:
OP
OP
Domsz

Domsz

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Welder
Thank you for all that information man, really appreciate it!! I also got the avalanche color, nice to see it with the steel bumper

RevanSTX23

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XL STX 5.0L
Occupation
Federal DES
Hey, I’m new here. I have a 2023 150 XL STX with factory 33’s really 33.9oal but my issue is that it is only rwd. I understand 4wd is more practical so I will have to get things down the road to compensate. My truck came with 3.15open diff rear, my plan is to get Yukon Posi Lock LSD which requires a gear upgrade. I’m looking at running 4.10 gears with my 5.0L. Had a similar setup on a 76 F100 with a BB 390 which was similar power rating. I was wanting to add a leaf to it which adds 950lbs of cargo and an extra 1.5” of rear height and then a 3” front suspension lift as well. Does this sound feasible for Central Texas around the Ft Cavazos(Hood) area? I also want to use my truck occasionally for towing since it’s rated at 14,800lbs from the factory.
Sponsored