• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Read before you order! Expect 50% range loss in winter in Northern states.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Definite range anxiety, I just would feel more comfortable with 400miles so there’s a buffer. I get it’s 150 but I don’t want the anxiety either that I need to go straight home to charge and no stops can happen. Charge network is coming but not there yet for me. I’m watching trust me, I’m ready to convert to the Ev side but again from my first post here I just feel the tech is still lacking. At least from ford range options. I’m on my 3rd ford, always be a ford fan I think but I feel I need model s mileage in a truck. I know asking for a lot.
Please note that Tesla overstates range and Ford understates it (based on the Mach-e). I would bet that the Lightning ER is pretty close in real world conditions.
Sponsored

KniceHit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L
Definite range anxiety, I just would feel more comfortable with 400miles so there’s a buffer. I get it’s 150 but I don’t want the anxiety either that I need to go straight home to charge and no stops can happen. Charge network is coming but not there yet for me. I’m watching trust me, I’m ready to convert to the Ev side but again from my first post here I just feel the tech is still lacking. At least from ford range options. I’m on my 3rd ford, always be a ford fan I think but I feel I need model s mileage in a truck. I know asking for a lot.
My 5.0L F-150 doesn't get me 400 miles a tank. Best case I'm getting 380.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Please note that Tesla overstates range and Ford understates it (based on the Mach-e). I would bet that the Lightning ER is pretty close in real world conditions.
Ford does not understate the Mach-e range. This is highly deponent on how the car is driven, and the environment. There is a persuasive myth that Mach-e manages to blow away it's EPA numbers, then people apply that to the Lightning.

Mach-e does do better than most of these range tests, but it's not "understated."

InsideEVs 70mph range tests are:

-6% EPA Range
+5.5% EPA
+7.1% EPA

Mixed results.

Another range test:

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ge-test-at-70-mph-true-to-epa-highway-results

-17% EPA range

The F150 is a brick, so anyone driving over 70mph is going to see a notable range drop due to the aero penalty. Mix in some winter driving, and people with unrealistic range expectations are going to be disappointed.

Powerboost22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost
Ford does not understate the Mach-e range. This is highly deponent on how the car is driven, and the environment. There is a persuasive myth that Mach-e manages to blow away it's EPA numbers, then people apply that to the Lightning.

Mach-e does do better than most of these range tests, but it's not "understated."

InsideEVs 70mph range tests are:

-6% EPA Range
+5.5% EPA
+7.1% EPA

Mixed results.

Another range test:

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ge-test-at-70-mph-true-to-epa-highway-results

-17% EPA range

The F150 is a brick, so anyone driving over 70mph is going to see a notable range drop due to the aero penalty. Mix in some winter driving, and people with unrealistic range expectations are going to be disappointed.
Don’t forget throwing some winter tires on? . Battery cost needs to come down and need more range! @Ford Motor Company

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
There is a persuasive myth that Mach-e manages to blow away it's EPA numbers, then people apply that to the Lightning.
I don't think anyone (including @sotek2345) is arguing that Ford "blow(s) away" the EPA numbers so that's a straw man argument. They do have a pretty good track record of meeting or exceeding the numbers in the InsideEVs range tests relative to other manufacturers. The GreenCar test is an important data point because it demonstrates the impact that wet conditions can have on efficiency.

EPA ratings take road load (including aero drag at different speeds) into account in their ratings, so I'm not sure that your brick argument makes a lot of sense.

Your mileage will literally vary depending on road conditions ambient temperature and driving style in an EV. They obey the laws of physics just like ICE vehicles do, although there probably needs to be some education about how cold weather affects EVs....

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I am a forum moderator for the Honda Clarity (EV, FCV, PHEV) and every winter I see lots of posts of reduced range per charge due to the cold temps.

Many complain saying it's a defect and wants Honda to fix it.

Of course Honda does not find anything wrong with the car or the batteries.

This issue will come up every winter on this forum - guaranteed.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This thread has me LMAO. Who didn't know that a BEV takes a huge hit in winter?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
This thread has me LMAO. Who didn't know that a BEV takes a huge hit in winter?
LOTS of people who have no idea how battery chemistry and cold coupled with use of EV battery sucking cabin heating has a dramatic effect on range.....

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LOTS of people who have no idea how battery chemistry and cold coupled with use of EV battery sucking cabin heating has a dramatic effect on range.....
Then they shouldn't buy one. Ever model does this.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Agree, but people buy things because it's a new technology, gas alternative or to be the first on their block to have one....

What I get irritated is that people will claim that miles per range is false for their situation and threaten lawsuits.

I am very lucky to be in a warm climate zone and get 100%-140% of range per charge all year around.

Guess I think the range per charge for my situation is understated....

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
But who has educated them? Obviously not the salesmen or companies selling them. Not everyone is going to understand battery chemistry and the effects of cold on them. They don't see a 50% reduction in mpg in an ice vehicle, why would they expect it in an EV if no one has ever told them?

Perhaps the auto makers need to find a good way of educating new owners on items like this so there are no surprises.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But who has educated them? Obviously not the salesmen or companies selling them. Not everyone is going to understand battery chemistry and the effects of cold on them. They don't see a 50% reduction in mpg in an ice vehicle, why would they expect it in an EV if no one has ever told them?

Perhaps the auto makers need to find a good way of educating new owners on items like this so there are no surprises.
Every ICE vehicle gets lower mpg during winter, due to winter gas, cold temperatures, and engine warmup. Many lose 20% or more. Many consumers aren't aware of that either, or even know that winter gas exists.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Agreed. It would really help if automakers displayed the battery temperature on the instrument panel and had some sort of information about how this affects range and charging speeds on the infotainment screen. They talked about this on one of the InsideEVs podcasts and I think it's a good idea.

I think the F150L will have battery and motor temperature displays on the instrument panel so maybe other automakers will follow suit. I think the Taycan is the only other one that does this right now.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Tesla loses a lot of range in the cold, all EV's do. They'll gain it back as battery heats up with use. The heat pumps some have help when you drive over 30 miles and there is waste heat to use to heat battery.

But the 40% estimate is a good one.

Got to work one day (50 mile one way) with 50 miles left, plenty to get to charger 18 miles away. Cold day in the 20's, come out and I have 8 miles of range...Yikes. Saved by Chademo and newly built EA station a mile away.

That was more on me for bad management and not getting a charge on the way home the previous day (lived on fast DC charging first two years).

With the 300 mile F150 and home charging, people won't be afflicted by the cold/EV issues on a day to day basis but longer trips they'll need to plan on the 40% range hit to be safe.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
so I'm not sure that your brick argument makes a lot of sense.

The argument makes sense because the bigger the car, the less efficient it becomes at greater speeds compared to smaller cars.

Not real numbers. But if the mach-e gets a 5% penatly driving at 75 vs 70mph, then the Lightning is going to get a 10% penalty.
Sponsored