Sponsored

RAMCharger has been announced. The Hybrid Ford should be building.....

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I suppose I'm puzzled how you correlated the 3 to the PB similar to, but if it meets your needs cool, Glad it works for you!
Kinda leaped there didn’t I? lol
Both the PB and RC are trying to fill dual roles or at least succeed in two areas. Around town efficiency, and long haul capability. The PB gets mid to upper twenties around town, and despite cooling and payload criticism, is a wonderful long trip tow vehicle with as yet unsurpassed utility features like 7.2 kW of 240/30 power available, and it’s idling capability doesn’t get near the praise it deserves. It’s a serious quality of life improvement for those who work out of their vehicles often.
I think the RC has a chance to surpass the PB in some ways and hopefully at least match it in others. All electric around town destroys my upper twenties efficiency, but can it turn a freaking corner without a spotter, or park anywhere but the rear of the lot? We shall see. Can it actually go anywhere close to its claimed distances while pulling a load, or does it bleed current as if its battery pack was stabbed in the jugular? We shall see.
I hope it nails every mark even though my Dodge buddies already never shut up about that Cummins lol.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
My bet is Sandy didn't include fuel. A solid concern, but as you add as much range as you want I'm not sure I consider that part of the weight penalty. You may prefer otherwise!
One caveat with Sandy is that anything they've worked on is automatically given a 'kudo' bump in his mind. You'd have to watch enough of him specifically to see it come to light (vs the channel as a whole which has given his company a lot of attention and caused his presence as presenter to diminish considerably) . There's some truth in it assuming what they did has enough of impact on the platform. Simply redesigning a battery tray or fuel tank doesn't translate to the platform as a whole, and it also contractually limits what can be said about it from him and his company.

Another factor regarding their design, is in their name itself, "lean design". They'd much rather glue everything together to make the out-the-door cost minimal while forgoing any consideration for future reparability. They've done some work with tesla, and a potential outcome of it is their EV batteries have 0.0% potential for servicing. Everything in them is completely glued together with some type of fire suppressing polyurethane foam and even tearing them down for dissection takes weeks of work. Simply opening the pack is destructive (pic). If he truly had his way all plastics would be sonically welded and even the seat-to-body interface would be laser welded.

Ford F-150 RAMCharger has been announced. The Hybrid Ford should be building..... 1699882513902

Sandy says the generator in the ram with its cooling costs 550lbs excluding the gasoline side of things. As a package it will likely be at or just under 7klbs depending on what they do with the frame. Given that's also the mass of cybertruck which has full air suspension, I'd expect it to be a well-balanced towing platform, while empty leaving a little to be desired. With batt and engine in the front half of the vehicle, it's mass is going to be quite front heavy like a 7.3l steel bodied 250 power stroke within a 150 crew short bed footprint.

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
Didn't I see the batteries more midship? I thought?

Thanks for the insights on Sandy. I don't watch him much, hadn't picked up in it.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Didn't I see the batteries more midship? I thought?

Thanks for the insights on Sandy. I don't watch him much, hadn't picked up in it.
Marked it up a little bit with a wheelbase mid-point. Imagine it w/ ~400lbs of passengers in the front seat and nearly 4klb on the front wheels especially with the engine and cooling package ahead of the front axle. Almost nothing in the rear of it. Hell my piggyboost w/ 2 adults has ~3600lbs on the front axle with my typical loadout onboard. That's only with ~420lbs of trans / xfer case. That batt is going to be 1.2klbs and under that V6 on the ram, there's another electric motor / inverter.

That silver box in the middle is likely the OBCC (HVB charger when connected to 240v ac) and those are pretty damn hefty. Gonna be a bit heavy up front. Will probably ride best with 1klb in the bed.

Ford F-150 RAMCharger has been announced. The Hybrid Ford should be building..... 1699923356752

Last edited:

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
Marked it up a little bit with a wheelbase mid-point. Imagine it w/ ~400lbs of passengers in the front seat and nearly 4klb on the front wheels especially with the engine and cooling package ahead of the front axle. Almost nothing in the rear of it. Hell my piggyboost w/ 2 adults has ~3600lbs on the front axle with my typical loadout onboard. That's only with ~420lbs of trans / xfer case. That batt is going to be 1.2klbs and under that V6 on the ram, there's another electric motor / inverter.

That silver box in the middle is likely the OBCC (HVB charger when connected to 240v ac) and those are pretty damn hefty. Gonna be a bit heavy up front. Will probably ride best with 1klb in the bed.

1699923356752.png
Yep, nicely pointed out. For some reason I recalled the batter back quite a bit more.

On the other hand it does suggest we'll have good rear axle weight headroom... :)

Shane150

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction
I like what Ford has done with the PowerBoost and the next step up should be a Plug-in-Hybrid with bigger battery and longer EV range. A generator hauling EV is not necessary!
Sponsored