Question, To lend my truck or not

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I would say yes if it wasn’t a 5 hour trip. Also depends on the person. I have about 1 friend that I’d actually let take my truck to tow and maybe 2 family members that I could trust with it. This seems like an unreasonable ask to me. To help move the boat locally? Sure why not, but that’s an awful long trip.
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
all kidding aside

either answer could be bad in the family
we dont know how good your family relationships are or ARE NOT

5hr trip , spring break , 22 year olds, new orleans, slick boat ramps.
imo
it pretty much answers itself.

oh.. i have a nephew that is one of those high tonnage captains drives all over the gulf delivering stuff to rigs
no way would i loan him my truck....

Last edited:

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I'm in for the rental option, the safest option in my opinion
Just a thought. U haul van. Room for coolers, people and alternate sleeping area. W

Sponsored

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat 502A FX4 5.0
Your BIL's truck is out of action for 6 weeks to move the nephew? Why is that?

I'd suggest regardless of how far out of state the nephew (and the BIL's truck) is, if he's really all about towing a boat for spring break then he could just drive the moving truck down, tow the boat for his fun and drive it back... If it's too far away then it sounds like you are more of a convenience?

My 20yr old son has ocean racing experience and is a very responsible driver... yet even though he's my son, there is no way he would be using my truck to tow a boat across the country for a holiday with his mates.... let alone asking another family member for a loaner....

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
My insurance has an exclusion for any drivers 25 and under. That might be a way out for you

Sponsored

WiscoFord

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT Screw 302A BAP
No

RobertD

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 King Ranch
When I loan something out, even my truck and tractor, I never expect it back. This is what my dad taught me. People and relationships are more important than objects. So that is the basis I start with when I loan things.

If I loan out my pickup and someone totals it - I would pay all deductibles and cover all losses and never ask for reimbursement. While sincerely letting the other person know they are far more important and valuable to me than a truck will ever be.

So are you ready to take the financial and convenience hit yourself? No matter what you go over with them as far as responsibility you need to be willing and able to take the hit all on your own. If not, then politely decline the use of the truck.

FYI Car thefts are on the rise in New Orleans.

knpstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 2.7
A big ask, but he should get points for responsibility as being a licensed captain means he is certified to be responsible for people's lives on the ocean.

B17drvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 F150,14Fiesta ST,15 GT350,13 Boss 302,21Mach 1
Occupation
Pilot
I loaned my F-150 to a close friend a few years ago. He need to pull a car trailer a few hundred miles. He rear ended another vehicle. He said “don’t worry, I won’t put it on your insurance.” He did have my truck fixed and he paid cash for it (about 2k). However the people he hit sued me since I was the owner.
My insurance company dropped me because if that. When I was shopping for me insurance, they all said that I had a claim in my record for an at fault accident. I would explain that I had loaned it and it wasn’t me driving. They said that didn’t matter. My insurance cost went way up.
Sponsored