Question: Ford Auto Park Feature

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I recently saw a video showing the 2021 Ford F-150 and how it’s shifter works.

The video showed the truck stationary, but with the gear shift and transmission in “D”/drive. When the user opened the door, the truck automatically placed itself in park.

Apparently, from what I’ve read this is a feature Ford has used on several vehicles. Does anyone have any experience with how this feature reacts if a door were to open while the truck is in motion? If it activates, it seems like a one way ticket to a jacked up transmission...
Sponsored

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR

The video showed the truck stationary, but with the gear shift and transmission in “D”/drive. When the user opened the door, the truck automatically placed itself in park.

Apparently, from what I’ve read this is a feature Ford has used on several vehicles. Does anyone have any experience with how this feature reacts if a door were to open while the truck is in motion? If it activates, it seems like a one way ticket to a jacked up transmission...
My 2019 Honda Accord is shift by wire, without the shift knob just a buttons for P,N,R,D. I have a brake hold feature where when enabled, at a stop light or stopped in general it will hold the brakes for you while still in drive. When you tap the gas, it releases. I noticed when that's enabled and I park in my driveway sometimes I forget to put it in PARK and shut off the car, it puts it in PARK when the car shuts off. So it may work the same. From what I've read about my accord, these new transmisions are smart enough to not let you ruin it like park it while moving.... or put in reverse if going forward too fast...

Also still waiting my VIN!!!

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150

I’m sure the transmission has a fail safe feature for situations like this and more than likely it has something to do with the actual speed of the vehicle.

Also you have to remember something.......modern automatic transmissions are electronic.......not mechanical even with a mechanical acting shift lever.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My 2019 Honda Accord is shift by wire, without the shift knob just a buttons for P,N,R,D. I have a brake hold feature where when enabled, at a stop light or stopped in general it will hold the brakes for you while still in drive. When you tap the gas, it releases. I noticed when that's enabled and I park in my driveway sometimes I forget to put it in PARK and shut off the car, it puts it in PARK when the car shuts off. So it may work the same. From what I've read about my accord, these new transmisions are smart enough to not let you ruin it like park it while moving.... or put in reverse if going forward too fast...

Also still waiting my VIN!!!
Yes, the new 2021 F-150s have that brake hold feature. I think I’ll really like that once I get used to it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m sure the transmission has a fail safe feature for situations like this and more than likely it has something to do with the actual speed of the vehicle.

Also you have to remember something.......modern automatic transmissions are electronic.......not mechanical even with a mechanical acting shift lever.
That’s true. Sometimes it’s for the better, but all of this electronic stuff keeps removing us further and further from being “in tune” with the vehicle.

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
Just tested the car in Drive stationary and opened door
That’s true. Sometimes it’s for the better, but all of this electronic stuff keeps removing us further and further from being “in tune” with the vehicle.
The brake hold is awesome in city driving not recommended on the highway at all. Had it on everywhere when I first got it, ran into stop/go on the highway and had to hard brake, the brake hold kicked in and locked up my rear brakes.... was a bit scary. Had to completely stop and hit the gas to disengage but now thinking about it I could have hit the button to disable it.

Tested my car stationary with engine on in drive with brake hold on, the minute I took my seat belt off, parking brakes engaged, opened door and it went to park.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Yes, the new 2021 F-150s have that brake hold feature. I think I’ll really like that once I get used to it.
Once you use it, you ask how you lived without it. Especially for city driving and stoplights.
Sponsored