Sponsored

Ford removing Park Assist from all vehicles

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
My truck came with "Active Park Assist 2.0" Delete. It's annoying because they left the useless hard |P| button on the dash above the Sync4 screen and they left the useless outermost sensors on the front and back bumpers.
Pretty sure I saw somewhere on here replacing that with a useful functioning button.

Never had park assist and if I did I would probably use it once or twice. Those Buick commercials make a big deal of it. I wonder if GM will follow with dropping it.

I have the 360 cameras because I thought that would be more useful to me for getting in and out of tight spots.
Sponsored

PowerBoostSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet Powerboost
I have a snarky response ... if you are going to drive a vehicle, then just drive it! But the tech is pretty cool ... I have yet to use trailer back up assist, of course I don't have a trailer either so there's that ... happy Super Bowl everyone!

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I’m pretty sure those sensors are still used for other functions, like BLIS and proximity warnings. Though I’m with you on the lPl button—I’m guessing that they kept that one in place because the delete was a rapid response to parts shortages, and they likely didn’t have parts that would otherwise fill that hole.
Those sensors are not used in any capacity due to the LIN chip that communicates with them not being present. BLIS uses the radar units in the tail lights. Pretty crazy that for 2 years ford kept installing the wiring and the sensors despite them not actually having any means to communicate with the vehicle itself.

mau47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 502A Powerboost FX4
Those sensors are not used in any capacity due to the LIN chip that communicates with them not being present. BLIS uses the radar units in the tail lights. Pretty crazy that for 2 years ford kept installing the wiring and the sensors despite them not actually having any means to communicate with the vehicle itself.
Aren't they still used when parking for proximity detection? I don't have park assist but I have the sensors and they detect objects at low speeds and the screen indicates which sensor is picking up the object etc. or are you referring to just the two extras at the front and back?

Sponsored

Abraham5G

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum BAP Star White EcoBoost
I’m pretty sure those sensors are still used for other functions, like BLIS and proximity warnings. Though I’m with you on the lPl button—I’m guessing that they kept that one in place because the delete was a rapid response to parts shortages, and they likely didn’t have parts that would otherwise fill that hole.
My outer sensors don't work. They detect obstructions that aren't there. They constantly beep when in reverse. Dealer says they don't have a fix so going to try a different dealer. The sensors don't do any emergency stopping and not related/integrated with BLIS or crosstraffic alert, all they do is beep.

Ford F-150 Ford removing Park Assist from all vehicles 20240109_190212

Last edited:

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
When I got an XLT, I had wished the front sensors and self-parking had been available.
But with 360cameras, I’ve found I don’t need the sensors at all!
And ITO parallel parking, my truck doesn’t fit in any of the spaces in my town anyway! lol

ghostbit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 402A
What the people wanted! Less features and higher prices

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Aren't they still used when parking for proximity detection? I don't have park assist but I have the sensors and they detect objects at low speeds and the screen indicates which sensor is picking up the object etc. or are you referring to just the two extras at the front and back?
For all intents and purposes, as far as the electronics are concerned, they're not there. They're for show essentially.

Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Those outer sensors aren’t useless. They help cover the truck when you’re parking or moving in tight spots. They let you know if you’re close to hitting something.

Walter Townsend

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Off Road Fishing Edition 5.0
Occupation
Owner Operator Starlight Tool Services Ltd Millwright/Welder/Machinist/Electronics tech
Or you can do what I do..... park someplace else. I have even parked on the edge of the city and taken a bus because I know parking where I have to go sucks...just saying.
I always aim for the middle of the mall parking lot, that is the least used section and far enough away for the anchor stores to avoid the crowded masses. Yup have to push my buggy a bit further, but less chances of getting boxed in. Never used or wanted the park assist, but I'm sure that Ford has every intention of reducing the MSRP of the vehicles that they leave it off of, LOL, NOT!

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
I have this feature and i dont think ive ever used it. having 360 cameras help tremendously. even the sensors do their job well and let ya know when you're close to something.
I think i've told myself, i should try this out in a semi empty parking lot to just see but have never used it. haha

as someone else mentioned, i usually park somewhere to the middle back of the lot where there arent many cars anyway. dont want carts or door dings.

there also isnt a lot of street parking around my parts so no need for parallel parking. id like to think im still great at it anyway from my time living in the city.

OP
OP
Aron

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have this feature and i dont think ive ever used it. having 360 cameras help tremendously. even the sensors do their job well and let ya know when you're close to something.
I think i've told myself, i should try this out in a semi empty parking lot to just see but have never used it. haha

as someone else mentioned, i usually park somewhere to the middle back of the lot where there arent many cars anyway. dont want carts or door dings.

there also isnt a lot of street parking around my parts so no need for parallel parking. id like to think im still great at it anyway from my time living in the city.
I don't think that it'll work in an empty parking area--if I understand the technology correctly, I think that it needs other cars around to accurately park between them. I don't know if it'll work based upon just lines on the pavement. For that situation (and most of my other parking attempts), I agree that the 360 camera is of more use.

I usually park out in the "boonies" of a parking lot as well, but that's not always an option. For those other times, APA occasionally helps out.

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
I don't think that it'll work in an empty parking area--if I understand the technology correctly, I think that it needs other cars around to accurately park between them. I don't know if it'll work based upon just lines on the pavement. For that situation (and most of my other parking attempts), I agree that the 360 camera is of more use.

I usually park out in the "boonies" of a parking lot as well, but that's not always an option. For those other times, APA occasionally helps out.
yeah i definitely havent used it to parallel park or anything. i think i have activated it once and it attempted to park but cars started coming down the street and i just parked it myself haha
Sponsored