Sponsored

Question about the Towing Capacity of my Build

BillLumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited
I have ordered my 21 Plat and the dealer has told me that with this build, my tow capacity is 11k. After reading some threads, I am not sure. Here is my build:

Plat with 6.5 Bed
701A
Powerboost
Moonroof
7.2kW
Interior
Lockable Storage
Max Recline
Wheel Well Linear

TIA

Bill
Sponsored

RJ_986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
701A comes with Towing tech+ Class IV Trailer Hitch. Should be rated for 7,000 lbs.

To get 11k rating you would need the trailer tow or abit more with max tow.

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Your payload on that build is going to be very low, maybe between 1,300 to 1,400. The battery weight and platinum trim add a lot of extra weight and eat up your payload. You will probably run out of payload with people, gear, hitch and trailer tongue weight before you can tow 7,000 lbs.

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
And even if you get the max tow most F150s are restricted by their payload for a safe tow weight. With a pimped out platty you're going to reduce your payload quite a bit.

Sponsored

RJ_986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Dealers giving false information to customers infuriates me.
If this was back in Sept/Oct before all the ford materials came out on ratings it would be forgivable. Several months into deliveries? That is sad on the dealers part.

OP
OP

BillLumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited
Thanks everyone. That is what I was worried about. I rarely tow over 7k, but want the option if I need to (understanding the limitations of my payload). Can some one point me in the direction of documentation so i can place a reorder?

Sponsored

OP
OP

BillLumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited
Everyone's TPS reports are overdue and you will all need to go talk with Bob and Bob!

I did find the information on Ford website where it states that "Included items that must be installed. Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty may be voided with out them. For trailers over 5k pounds - Trailer Tow Package or Max Trailer Tow Package". I text a pic to my sales rep and she came back with "The 701A High" package comes with the Tow Technology Package, that brings up the tow capacity to 11k.

I also found this under the specifications. My build comes with the 3.73 Electronic Rear Axel. According to this, my tow is 11k or with Max Tow 12.4k.

Ford F-150 Question about the Towing Capacity of my Build 2021 Ford® F-150 Platinum Truck - Model Details - Specs 3-9-2021 12-49-47 PM

Ford F-150 Question about the Towing Capacity of my Build 2021 Ford® F-150 Platinum Truck - Model Details - Specs 3-9-2021 12-47-41 PM

Am I reading that correctly?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks everyone. That is what I was worried about. I rarely tow over 7k, but want the option if I need to (understanding the limitations of my payload). Can some one point me in the direction of documentation so i can place a reorder?
The best documentation you will find is the many, many payload threads on this forum. If you want to try to recreate all the calcs yourself, the weights and specs doc is helpful.

Attachments

Matt604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer 2011->Ford 150 PB Limited 2021
@BillLumberg, you're a copy cat to my situation and gladly will pass on my learnings from this forum. Originally ordered a fully loaded Plat and then changed my order to get higher payload. I plan on using the truck as dd and family travel trailer tv.

First i've seen and used many truck towing configurations and by and large they all physically work. Whether you are over max payload or GCWR these trucks will tow it and most of the time you won't even tell the difference. My opinion it is driver choice (and legal choice) as to what you are comfortable with. I am going to tow a lot with family, mountainous and windy highways, and i'm choosing to be match a lighter trailer to my lower payload truck.

For plats and towing the only thing that matters is reducing options to get higher payload. For me the plat came with Tow Package which gets you 11k towing which is likely impossible anyways with the max payload these optioned trucks come with. So you don't need max tow which in facts hurts payload by about 15lbs. If you were to tow 11k you should have a tongue weight of at least 1100lbs which leaves 100-200lbs for you and stuff in the truck.

I dropped moonroof, spray in bed liner, max recline, wheel well liner. I kept powerboost, fx4, propower, and tow mirrors. I like all those for towing/camping and guesstimate i'll get a max payload of 1350lbs. I hunted door jam payload stickers for a while to guesstimate this. I may pull off the skid plates if it makes a difference but am choosing a travel trailer at the max 7000lbs gvwr. Most travel trailers will have a tongue weight greater than 10% of the loaded trailer weight and is a math game you will lose more than you win.

Tips:
- if you want to tow big choose an XLT Ecoboost trim
- don't get max tow on powerboost
- for towing over 7000lbs you need a wdh hitch which will have payload hit of 100-180lbs.
- for towing heavier travel trailers you want a good wdh with anti-sway or no-sway features.
- if you want a plat with highest max payload don't get powerboost (200lbs hit to payload?)
- moonroof (64lbs), spray in bed liner (45lbs), and FX4 (skidplates at least 28lbs) are the heaviest options i found in the documentation
- an optioned Lariat Powerboost i found to have similar payload to plat.
- forums will tell you a half ton truck is borderline for towing 8000lbs and 30'+ travel trailer.
- max towing numbers are feasible for flatbed trailers, not travel trailers

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
@BillLumberg, you're a copy cat to my situation and gladly will pass on my learnings from this forum. Originally ordered a fully loaded Plat and then changed my order to get higher payload. I plan on using the truck as dd and family travel trailer tv.

First i've seen and used many truck towing configurations and by and large they all physically work. Whether you are over max payload or GCWR these trucks will tow it and most of the time you won't even tell the difference. My opinion it is driver choice (and legal choice) as to what you are comfortable with. I am going to tow a lot with family, mountainous and windy highways, and i'm choosing to be match a lighter trailer to my lower payload truck.

For plats and towing the only thing that matters is reducing options to get higher payload. For me the plat came with Tow Package which gets you 11k towing which is likely impossible anyways with the max payload these optioned trucks come with. So you don't need max tow which in facts hurts payload by about 15lbs. If you were to tow 11k you should have a tongue weight of at least 1100lbs which leaves 100-200lbs for you and stuff in the truck.

I dropped moonroof, spray in bed liner, max recline, wheel well liner. I kept powerboost, fx4, propower, and tow mirrors. I like all those for towing/camping and guesstimate i'll get a max payload of 1350lbs. I hunted door jam payload stickers for a while to guesstimate this. I may pull off the skid plates if it makes a difference but am choosing a travel trailer at the max 7000lbs gvwr. Most travel trailers will have a tongue weight greater than 10% of the loaded trailer weight and is a math game you will lose more than you win.

Tips:
- if you want to tow big choose an XLT Ecoboost trim
- don't get max tow on powerboost
- for towing over 7000lbs you need a wdh hitch which will have payload hit of 100-180lbs.
- for towing heavier travel trailers you want a good wdh with anti-sway or no-sway features.
- if you want a plat with highest max payload don't get powerboost (200lbs hit to payload?)
- moonroof (64lbs), spray in bed liner (45lbs), and FX4 (skidplates at least 28lbs) are the heaviest options i found in the documentation
- an optioned Lariat Powerboost i found to have similar payload to plat.
- forums will tell you a half ton truck is borderline for towing 8000lbs and 30'+ travel trailer.
- max towing numbers are feasible for flatbed trailers, not travel trailers
Couple more tips:
- A WDH will actually have its own weight distributed as well, it doesn't go all onto the truck axles. When properly configured, 1/3 of the weight goes to each axle (trailers count as one axle). So for example a 120# WDH only is an 80# payload hit.
- One more tip is that if you do not live in snowy climate or you will avoid offroad situations anyway, you can get 200# more payload by picking a 4x2 truck. This applies up and down the entire lineup of trims. (also +1MPG to your daily driver)
Sponsored