ProPower MiniFridge

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Sometimes I regret contributing information in forums. This is one of those times. :)

Atlee, I am happy for you. You love generator mode for camping and it serves you well. Me, I lived inside of my truck for many weeks staright and I don't like being in generator mode at night. Please, please do not ask me why I don't like it again. I showed a picture how I am set up, and thought that picture would easily convey that's why I don't like it. For example, I didn't tow an RV and wasn't isolated from truck engine noise at night. I have no idea how you roll and I am sorry I even asked because it almost feels like we are starting to argue with each other.

For everybody on this forum. I'm not planning on ditching the Jackery even though I have a powerboost. I get it that boondocking can be done with a fridge and no portable power station if you don't mind having the truck cycle on all day and night. Like I said in my orginal post, "it is not something I like to do". I actually thought I was pretty clear why I felt that way in my original post. A portable power station is easy to charge while driving and last many hours after you stop driving. I never said using the F-150 generator mode shouldn't be done. If I didn't think it should be done I would have said so.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Sometimes I regret contributing information in forums. This is one of those times. :)

Atlee, I am happy for you. You love generator mode for camping and it serves you well. Me, I lived inside of my truck for many weeks staright and I don't like being in generator mode at night. Please, please do not ask me why I don't like it again. I showed a picture how I am set up, and thought that picture would easily convey that's why I don't like it. For example, I didn't tow an RV and wasn't isolated from truck engine noise at night. I have no idea how you roll and I am sorry I even asked because it almost feels like we are starting to argue with each other.

For everybody on this forum. I'm not planning on ditching the Jackery even though I have a powerboost. I get it that boondocking can be done with a fridge and no portable power station if you don't mind having the truck cycle on all day and night. Like I said in my orginal post, "it is not something I like to do". I actually thought I was pretty clear why I felt that way in my original post. A portable power station is easy to charge while driving and last many hours after you stop driving. I never said using the F-150 generator mode shouldn't be done. If I didn't think it should be done I would have said so.
This is why I'm thinking of using a similar setup--I car-camp with my kids' scout troop many times each year, and I love the idea of bringing a fridge rather than a cooler to keep the cold stuff cold for longer than 24 hours. At the same time, I don't really relish the idea of camping in a tent 20' from a vehicle that's engaging the ICE every 30-40 minutes all night long.

For my longer RV-based trips, the PPOB system will be a game-changer to keep the AC running all night long.

Two different use situations; both are valid. For what it's worth, I appreciated the thread--I wouldn't have thought of using a Jackery to bridge the times when you'd want the truck to be fully off.

OP
OP
capiche87

capiche87

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB 701a 4x4; 1985 Ford Bronco II
Occupation
Veterinarian

I appreciate your comments too. I bought a Jackery and going to do something similar. Also, I know someone who died of carbon monoxide poisoning because they didn’t realize they had an exhaust leak and was taking a nap in their car. So I think we all have our reasons on why we do things.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I can also attest to the PB cycling on and off during the night being disturbing... not such a big deal in an RV, but definitely if tent camping.

I added a switched always on power outlet to the 12v auxiliary battery under the rear seat to power my fridge at night, and don't use the generator function. The fridge has a low voltage shut off, so I didn't need to worry about adding any additional battery protection. The set up works great.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...er-for-my-fridge-and-other-accessories.12825/

The thing to remember about batteries, lithium and agm/lead, is that they don't function as well at extreme temps... the PB generator function will cycle the engine more frequently with temperature extremes, and might not cycle off as much as you would expect, as it maintains battery temperatures. Your jackery and other similar devices might also shut down in extreme cold or heat.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I just picked up a 100aH LIPO battery that has built in USB and 12v outlets (no inverter, since the PB has that covered), to limit my use of the engine while tent camping. It can charge while driving, similar to a jackery. In the winter I figure I can place it on the same 12v heated blanket I plan on sleeping on, and it should keep the battery warm as well

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
I appreciate the PB and actually started my order with one in the que instead of my non-PB that I currently own. I realized early on in my decision making that I was going to get a cap similar to my last truck and planned on sleeping in the bed. I realized the PB starting and stopping was not in my best interest for ensuring my wife's quality of sleep (you know the consequences of that). I typically camp in areas that are better appreciated WITHOUT vehicular engine noises, although I enjoy the sound of an ICE, I don't enjoy it at 12am, 3am, and 5am deep in the mountains. It's just me and my old lady who climb and hike so no kids. Simple is better. The bed is all we need for sleeping and the super crew's back seat space has enough space for fridge and gear. Everyone has wants and needs and each is different, mine are simple and minimalist.

If I owned a TT, I would own a PB.

My setup: I recently ditched the air mattress (in the pic) and added the Decked drawers and a 5in folding memory foam mattress. The new setup makes the bed a full size queen and very comfy. All gear fits easily in the drawers and the fridge/freezer and solar gen sits perfectly on the rear floor. I also have multiple sets of led string lights that run on my solar gen via its USB out ports.

Ford F-150 ProPower MiniFridge 20220702_174701

Ford F-150 ProPower MiniFridge 20220702_174718

Ford F-150 ProPower MiniFridge 20220702_175457

Ford F-150 ProPower MiniFridge 20220812_150424

Sponsored

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Military
I can also attest to the PB cycling on and off during the night being disturbing... not such a big deal in an RV, but definitely if tent camping.

I added a switched always on power outlet to the 12v auxiliary battery under the rear seat to power my fridge at night, and don't use the generator function. The fridge has a low voltage shut off, so I didn't need to worry about adding any additional battery protection. The set up works great.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...er-for-my-fridge-and-other-accessories.12825/

The thing to remember about batteries, lithium and agm/lead, is that they don't function as well at extreme temps... the PB generator function will cycle the engine more frequently with temperature extremes, and might not cycle off as much as you would expect, as it maintains battery temperatures. Your jackery and other similar devices might also shut down in extreme cold or heat.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I just picked up a 100aH LIPO battery that has built in USB and 12v outlets (no inverter, since the PB has that covered), to limit my use of the engine while tent camping. It can charge while driving, similar to a jackery. In the winter I figure I can place it on the same 12v heated blanket I plan on sleeping on, and it should keep the battery warm as well
FYI, The solar gens like the Jackery or Bluetti are rated to work fine in semi-extreme weather. I personally used a Bluetti in sub freezing weather (30-10) and spent a week in Death Valley (90-102) with zero issues. I keep my battery inside the truck with my ICECO fridge, windows cracked in the hot weather and windows closed in the cold weather, zero issues.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nice setup.

pr0f3ssor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150
Occupation
Sales
Awaiting delivery of my PB this week. I have an eco flow River pro and iceco vl60 that I’ll keep in the truck to keep drinks and snacks for the kids. I do not want the ice engine powering on at night so I’ll charge the eco flow while I drive.

pr0f3ssor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150
Occupation
Sales
Awaiting delivery of my PB this week. I have an eco flow River pro and iceco vl60 that I’ll keep in the truck to keep drinks and snacks for the kids. I do not want the ice engine powering on at night so I’ll charge the eco flow while I drive.
I’m looking for the best method to mount these. Any ideas are welcome.

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Military
I keep mine on the floor in the back with the seats up. If you want to mount it in the bed there are slide mounts available. Other options include rubber mats with simple tie downs for the bed or since there is no hump, just put it on the back seat floor with the kidos.
Link:
ICECO VL60

Ford F-150 ProPower MiniFridge 20230130_215347

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation