Sponsored

Propower 2kw + 3.5L Ecoboost (nonhybrid)

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Finally had the opportunity to test out my 2kW Pro Power this weekend. I was able to confirm that I was definitely wrong. The Non-Hybrid trucks do have to Idle continuously, so it's really just a replacement for a portable generator. I was disappointed to find this out, I don't see why it would need to continuously run? I mean it will shutoff at a stop light, so why not shutoff when it doesn't need to be recharging the battery for the inverter...
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Finally had the opportunity to test out my 2kW Pro Power this weekend. I was able to confirm that I was definitely wrong. The Non-Hybrid trucks do have to Idle continuously, so it's really just a replacement for a portable generator. I was disappointed to find this out, I don't see why it would need to continuously run? I mean it will shutoff at a stop light, so why not shutoff when it doesn't need to be recharging the battery for the inverter...
It has to run to generate power. There’s no hybrid battery pack to hold on to the power. 2KW of draw plus having to restart the truck would drain the 12V really quick, and plus you’re running the risk of ending up with a dead battery not being able to start the truck. 12V car batteries also aren’t really meant to be charged and discharged repeatedly and lose capacity really fast. A stop start function has low electrical load and doesn’t happen for long, vs someone trying to run their camper for double digit hours

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Anything is possible with enough time and money. It would probably be very challenging though. You would likely be better off buying a honda 2kw portable over adding pro power to a non pro power truck.

I got the 2kw pro power with the 5.0. It’s just a capability I wanted for occasional use. I like the idea that anywhere I go I basically have a generator with me without taking any additional cargo space or having an extra piece of equipment to store/maintain.

I do notice at least with the 5.0 and I imagine this will be the same on the 3.5: when you turn on Pro Power it does idle at a higher than normal RPM. I haven’t looked at how much but can definitely hear it. Why I suspect its the same with both engines is because the higher Idle speed is probably to get that second alternator up to a required output and I can’t see them using different alternators for the same 2kw system.

I was pleased that the 2kw was able to operate my skill worm drive without complaining which is the most current eating portable tool I have.

Last edited:

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It has to run to generate power. There’s no hybrid battery pack to hold on to the power. 2KW of draw plus having to restart the truck would drain the 12V really quick, and plus you’re running the risk of ending up with a dead battery not being able to start the truck. 12V car batteries also aren’t really meant to be charged and discharged repeatedly and lose capacity really fast. A stop start function has low electrical load and doesn’t happen for long, vs someone trying to run their camper for double digit hours
There is an additional battery under the rear seat, so I had originally thought it was a deep cycle batter for the inverter/2Kw, and thus would function the same as the hybrid. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why they didn't have it implemented, just disappointed that it wasn't how I thought it was. Certainly makes me think I should have sprung for the Hybrid truck. Maybe next time.

JasonG03

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Sales
All,

I tested my F150 3.5 Ecoboost + 2kw and plugged in a generator bonding plug. Immediately it triggers a ground fault, so that is a no go!!

Regardless, i couldnt remember why i was trying to use a bonding plug. I think this was because we were trying to use an EMS surge protector which would show open ground. But does that even matter? I dont see why we need to use a surgeprotector/EMS since the 2Kw invertor on teh f150 is clean power.

I have yet to install the microair but i am HOPING it will work!!!
I had a ground fault on mine it was a wiring issue on my RV it was the hot water tank wiring I have read reports of people having hot water tanks that the element was burnt out due to leaving them on when empty and that can cause a grounding issue as well it is most likely not your truck and what it is powered to remember most generators do not have GFI so they will put power to your RV regardless whereas the truck is more particular.
Sponsored