Pre-collision assist with automatic emergency braking question

TechGodfather

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Chief Technology Advisor
My new powerboost lariat has pre-collision assist with ‘Ithink’ automatic braking. From the Ford website, ‘If you don’t take corrective action and a collision is imminent, brakes can apply automatically.’.

My question is, DO brakes automatically apply when and if that car in front of you slams on their brakes? The website says CAN. I much prefer will - or think I do anyway. Any suggestions on how to test this without doing a real life test? I want to see my powerboost brake in time to avoid a collision just in case. I do pay attention to the road always even turning off my phone while driving but city traffic is crazy nowadays.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
It is “can” because there are some situations that AEB cannot reliably detect. No automated system is flawless (look at that recent test of Tesla’s system smacking into a stationary child cutout for a clear example), so the “wiggle room” of can versus will is a wise language choice.

I can’t think of a responsible way to test it on the road. The formal tests I’ve seen done have involved inflatable or otherwise “gentle” objects on a closed course. What I will say is while I’ve yet to have a Ford AEB system fire off while driving (luckily), but I did experience it once in an rental Subaru and their system isn’t remarkably different...and it absolutely worked...although in that particular situation it did not *need* to fire off as I was only a few milliseconds behind the computer (it was in Yellowstone and somebody stopped in front of me very abruptly for wildlife), had I been distracted by said wildlife, the system would have avoided a collision.

Last edited:

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
It’s not about Ford specifically, but these articles discuss the limitations of such systems in acceptable detail: https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...es-automatic-braking-system-tested-explained/
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/automatic-emergency-braking-guide-a1780056935/

Once you’ve read how the systems are being tested to see if they work it becomes clear why there’s so much wiggle room…it doesn’t have to STOP the vehicle to pass, only drop speed by X amount from Y speed. They *can* stop the vehicle, but sometimes externalities, the limitations of the system, or other factors will prevent it from doing so.

It is also very important to emphasize there is a maximum speed on AEB. It’s detailed in the manual (it varies from system to system), IIRC. Don’t expect it to stop you at 80MPH coming up on a parked car. Many systems won’t even try above a certain speed.

Last edited:

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
It will attempt to stop if you do not intervene before it calculates a possible impact. It cannot overcome physics, but it will brake at maximum to try and prevent an impact. I attended an Explorer ST driving experience and that is one of the demonstrations. Accelerate up to 20-22MPH toward a full-size balloon car, when an alert triggers place both feet flat on the floor and maintain lane toward the balloon car. It would stop at full braking down to a foot or two from the balloon car. If you attempt to steer away or brake the system reverts back to you to avoid the impact.

Sponsored

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A, 2022 4Runner ORP
Mine works when I am backing into a parking spot that has bushes or something at the back. Brake checks me when I get about a foot away.

OP
OP
TechGodfather

TechGodfather

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Chief Technology Advisor
It’s not about Ford specifically, but these articles discuss the limitations of such systems in acceptable detail: https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...es-automatic-braking-system-tested-explained/
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/automatic-emergency-braking-guide-a1780056935/

Once you’ve read how the systems are being tested to see if they work it becomes clear why there’s so much wiggle room…it doesn’t have to STOP the vehicle to pass, only drop speed by X amount from Y speed. They *can* stop the vehicle, but sometimes externalities, the limitations of the system, or other factors will prevent it from doing so.

It is also very important to emphasize there is a maximum speed on AEB. It’s detailed in the manual (it varies from system to system), IIRC. Don’t expect it to stop you at 80MPH coming up on a parked car. Many systems won’t even try above a certain speed.
Thank you for this info. Great stuff here. Much appreciated!

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i can say from real life the pre collison AEB does work
it works pretty damm good at preventing a front end collision when the person in fronts STOPS short with no indication. my truck slowed down VERY FAST and wiggled to the right to avoid the car in front of me at 60 plus mph. it reacted faster than i did.

but its not a 100% and has limitations etc.

DPL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 XLT
I've wondered about how the system works myself. Say you were parked or stopped at a red light and were getting ready to leave and criminals with bad intentions decided to get in front and back of you, would the system let you keep going or would it stop you?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I've wondered about how the system works myself. Say you were parked or stopped at a red light and were getting ready to leave and criminals with bad intentions decided to get in front and back of you, would the system let you keep going or would it stop you?
i believe the PRESSING of GO pedal will override the aeb .

IIRC reading about it

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
It would let you keep going. Flooring the gas or increasing pedal pressure after getting the brake warning overrides automatic braking

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
I believe the OP was at least partly asking if it's "always on," meaning, can he safely assume (subject to the limitations mentioned above) that the feature is *enabled* and not able to be disabled. If he's like me, I'm worried that the button to enable it is buried in some settings menu, and while I *have* experienced the flashing red lights of the pre-collision assist, I haven't felt any braking.

I will never rely on it, but like the OP, I want to have it enabled if possible, so Please let us know if you are aware that the braking feature is "always on."

gracias

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I believe the OP was at least partly asking if it's "always on," meaning, can he safely assume (subject to the limitations mentioned above) that the feature is *enabled* and not able to be disabled. If he's like me, I'm worried that the button to enable it is buried in some settings menu, and while I *have* experienced the flashing red lights of the pre-collision assist, I haven't felt any braking.

I will never rely on it, but like the OP, I want to have it enabled if possible, so Please let us know if you are aware that the braking feature is "always on."

gracias
Yes, it’s on by default when you start the truck. You can disable it for a drive cycle, and you’d get a yellow warning light on the dash in that case.
The only time I’ve had anything come up about it was in an absolute monsoon rainstorm. My truck gave me the ford chime and said “pre collision assist unavailable, sensor blocked” or something along those lines. Basically, it made me well aware that there was an issue with the system and it would not be there to back me up

SWFLGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Mine locked up the rear wheels when it detected a landscaping truck stopped in the road.
In my opinion it reacted way early and I didn’t need the help, the truck was far enough for me to slow down.
The rear wheels literally locked up and skidded, there was also a thin layer of sand of sand on the road so that might have helped with that.
Sponsored