Pre collision assist saved the day

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Merging onto the Buffalo Skyway this morning the idiot in front of me decided to slam on their brakes and come to a screeching halt where the ramp veers in at the end (no shoulder) rather than hit their gas to merge. The kicker is there were no cars in the right lane we were merging into, only the left!! I admittedly was taking a sip of hot chocolate so my reaction was late. The pre collision alert came on the screen beeping and not a millisecond later the truck started hitting the brakes before I pressed the pedal and avoided a rear end collision. There was absolutely no reason the car in front of me had to stop, they decided it would be better to put everyone else in danger. I’m just thankful the truck reacted before I did.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I had quite the opposite experience with a motorist pulling into the exit lane and slowing down as I approached and the collision avoidance actived and the brakes applied and suddenly dropped my speed by 20 mph. Fortunately the person behind my truck was no tailgating and so it did no hit the rear of my truck. I quickly deactivated this feature on my 2022 truck.

I learned a long long time ago to expect the unexpected with other motorists on the road. Countless times I have observed motorists suddenly going from the number 1 lane to the number 3 lane in seconds and then to a freeway exit. This is during commute hours so not a new exit for the driver and no reason the be approaching it from the left most lane, but this is far from unusual behavior.

Dietz5285

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking for 2023 Lariat
I had quite the opposite experience with a motorist pulling into the exit lane and slowing down as I approached and the collision avoidance actived and the brakes applied and suddenly dropped my speed by 20 mph. Fortunately the person behind my truck was no tailgating and so it did no hit the rear of my truck. I quickly deactivated this feature on my 2022 truck.

I learned a long long time ago to expect the unexpected with other motorists on the road. Countless times I have observed motorists suddenly going from the number 1 lane to the number 3 lane in seconds and then to a freeway exit. This is during commute hours so not a new exit for the driver and no reason the be approaching it from the left most lane, but this is far from unusual behavior.
Why would you deactivate something that saved your a$$?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
its saved my bacon now at least 3 times
one was for a DEER .

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I like to think that I’m a good attentive driver, but I’ll never see the logic in turning stuff like collision avoidance off. Sure, it may be a bit annoying in the rare instance it goes off when I know what is actually going on, but all that annoyance will be worth it the first time it keeps me from being in an at fault rear end collision…you never know when your attention may falter and it’s nice having a computer to back me up.

Plus with a little experience and attention to surroundings, it’s pretty easy to see when it’s going to activate. Additionally with adaptive cruise I’m often tapping on the accelerator to temporarily disable the cruise braking for something like a car coming across 3 lanes. Just something you get used to

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Merging onto the Buffalo Skyway this morning the idiot in front of me decided to slam on their brakes and come to a screeching halt where the ramp veers in at the end (no shoulder) rather than hit their gas to merge. The kicker is there were no cars in the right lane we were merging into, only the left!! I admittedly was taking a sip of hot chocolate so my reaction was late. The pre collision alert came on the screen beeping and not a millisecond later the truck started hitting the brakes before I pressed the pedal and avoided a rear end collision. There was absolutely no reason the car in front of me had to stop, they decided it would be better to put everyone else in danger. I’m just thankful the truck reacted before I did.
Glad to hear the pre-collision assist helped you out! But the real question is...did you spill the hot chocolate? And why wasn't it coffee?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Glad to hear the pre-collision assist helped you out! But the real question is...did you spill the hot chocolate? And why wasn't it coffee?
Lol I never have gotten into coffee. My parents always tell me this will change but I am 24 years old and still hate the taste…so I don’t believe them on that one. I can do an iced Capp though. A little splashed out the lid not too bad.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Lol I never have gotten into coffee. My parents always tell me this will change but I am 24 years old and still hate the taste…so I don’t believe them on that one. I can do an iced Capp though. A little splashed out the lid not too bad.
Haha...fair enough!

Dbdj

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I like to think that I’m a good attentive driver, but I’ll never see the logic in turning stuff like collision avoidance off. Sure, it may be a bit annoying in the rare instance it goes off when I know what is actually going on, but all that annoyance will be worth it the first time it keeps me from being in an at fault rear end collision…you never know when your attention may falter and it’s nice having a computer to back me up.

Plus with a little experience and attention to surroundings, it’s pretty easy to see when it’s going to activate. Additionally with adaptive cruise I’m often tapping on the accelerator to temporarily disable the cruise braking for something like a car coming across 3 lanes. Just something you get used to
I had to shut mine down on my 2015 platinum. Seems when I passed certain 18 wheeler loads, it would slam on the brakes for no reason at all .. in the rain it was a whole different experience going from 60mph to slamming the brakes.
Seems it only happened when these 18 wheeler flatbeds had some kind of large unrecognizable piece of machinery.
Dealer found no problem.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat FX4 2022 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Retired FDNY
I disable it in my vehicles before I leave the dealer parking lot.
I did a software update on my Bronco recently and it must've re-activated the anti collision feature and it scared the shit out of me when it activated cause some guy came around a turn too fast in the opposite lane.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There's a time and a place for the modern techno-nannies. And admittedly there are circumstances that they can get in the way.

But the public rodes with the crazies?
Leaving them on. :)

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I had to shut mine down on my 2015 platinum. Seems when I passed certain 18 wheeler loads, it would slam on the brakes for no reason at all .. in the rain it was a whole different experience going from 60mph to slamming the brakes.
Seems it only happened when these 18 wheeler flatbeds had some kind of large unrecognizable piece of machinery.
Dealer found no problem.
my wifes 2012 edge would do this OFTEN ..scared crap out of us, we found an old article about "STUFF" on the acc radar module behind the protective trim plastic piece
i popped the cover off and found dead bugs lodged between the plastic trim cover and the module face
now when she tells me it miss behaves.. i pop the cover and wipe down the module face and remove dead flying critters like grasshoppers usually

i like the tech ALLLLLLOOOTTTTTT
stop and go traffic, deer, crazy people stopping short with no signal, trucks crossing center line on 2 lane hwys
evasive steering is also the cats meow

RickDawgFL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB Rapid Red with BAP

Gotta do what is best for you, but I would much rather be rear-ended (not at fault) than slam into the back of somebody.

BILDOZER

First Name
BILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Management
I have to say it saved me and my wifes bacon when someone cut us off from a side street. The pre-collision assist system kicked in as well as the evasive sterring assist where in a millisecond we slowed just enough for me to make a one handed lane swap to avoid the car and go back into my lane avoiding the oncoming traffic as we where doing 55 mph. thus avoiding being T-boned. I am a believer in the tech after that incident for sure.

Last edited:

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
its saved my bacon now at least 3 times
one was for a DEER .
You got lucky, I don’t think they advertise that it works for animal strikes, just pedestrians. My truck definitely didn’t alert me when a deer jumped in front of me to take a look at my headlights, he became roadkill, and left me with a smashed front end 😂
Sponsored