Sponsored

Disable pre-collision assist with automatic emergency braking 2022 truck

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I read a post that stated that the only way to disable the pre-collision assist was to take the truck to the dealer. I found that I could change all the settings and even disable this feature completely by going to Features/Driver Assistance/Pre-Collision Assist on the touchscreen.

The problem I experienced was having the emergency braking activated and reduce my truck's speed from 65 mph to 40 mph in seconds when a car in the next lane started to brake for an exit from the freeway. If anyone had been tailgating my truck they would have likely hit me. This feature is designed to work for pedestrians which may be why it reacts to something to the side of the truck.

I also had to deactivate the rear brake emergency activation as it would apply the brakes when backing up if I had a bike rack attached to the hitch receiver.

I can appreciate the value of these features for people who drive and do not pay attention to what is around their vehicle and especially all the clowns who fail to use hands free cell phone capabilities. Small wonder that accident rates are up 15%.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Been driving a fully loaded Powerboost for better than 18 months.
While I admit that ACC is a bit over cautious regarding a vehicle in front of me slowing for a turn, I haven't had the truck react to what a vehicle in the adjacent lane did.

I have had the reverse brake assist refuse to let me back up with a leafy stem from a bush hanging out far enough to be in my path. Again, a bit of an over cautious intervention, but nothing that put me or the truck in peril.

I do find myself exerting MY will over the virtual AI driver in the truck on occasions. :)

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I'm wondering if your system needs calibration. I don't think it should brake for a vehicle in an adjacent lane.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I read a post that stated that the only way to disable the pre-collision assist was to take the truck to the dealer. I found that I could change all the settings and even disable this feature completely by going to Features/Driver Assistance/Pre-Collision Assist on the touchscreen.

The problem I experienced was having the emergency braking activated and reduce my truck's speed from 65 mph to 40 mph in seconds when a car in the next lane started to brake for an exit from the freeway. If anyone had been tailgating my truck they would have likely hit me. This feature is designed to work for pedestrians which may be why it reacts to something to the side of the truck.

I also had to deactivate the rear brake emergency activation as it would apply the brakes when backing up if I had a bike rack attached to the hitch receiver.

I can appreciate the value of these features for people who drive and do not pay attention to what is around their vehicle and especially all the clowns who fail to use hands free cell phone capabilities. Small wonder that accident rates are up 15%.
The speed change has to do with speed sign recognition not braking. I have it happen whenm Adaptive cruise is on.It will see a 40 MPH sign and somehow interpert that as being the speed for the Highway I am on. I also have ot go the other way where I am on the Side road going 40 and it will see a 70 sign and jump up to 70 plus the threshold of 5 MPH.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I admit that's one feature that I will not enable.
My right foot is allowed to override the speed limit, as well as setting cruise control at the speed I desire. :)

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The pre-collision system in the F150 is WAY too sensitive. I have had it alert at times when the car was in the next lane... Gets tiresome at times when it decides to freak out over a gnat...

The speed change has to do with speed sign recognition not braking. I have it happen whenm Adaptive cruise is on.It will see a 40 MPH sign and somehow interpert that as being the speed for the Highway I am on. I also have ot go the other way where I am on the Side road going 40 and it will see a 70 sign and jump up to 70 plus the threshold of 5 MPH.
This was one of if not the very first thing I turned off when I got home with my truck... It was enabled and kept slowing the truck down on the drive home. At one point it picked out the wrong speed limit sign and dropped me from 65 to 35... Not fun when you're on a busy freeway in a truck with less than 50 miles on it and it almost caused you to get rear ended....

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I admit that's one feature that I will not enable.
My right foot is allowed to override the speed limit, as well as setting cruise control at the speed I desire. :)
me either
i made the mistake of having speed sign recognition turned on the week i bought it..OMG
when it saw 35 a school zone....it slowed, but as soon as we were clear of it ..booooom a rocket back to 80 scared me . so it got turned off

OP
OP

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Happened on freeway with no speed limit signs and occurred when the vehicle in front pulled over to the exit only lane and starting braking immediately.

No way to adjust for objects only in the direct path of the truck so no benefit for an experienced careful driver. It would be great for newbie drivers who often hit a vehicle that is turning right and then stops while the person behind them is looking to the left for oncoming vehicles and fails to realize that the car turning right has stopped a second time.

Bendecki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
future F-150
The only thing I will add to this, is as a personal injury attorney, do NOT tell anyone you disabled these settings if you get in an accident where you are at fault. I am not saying lie and say it was enabled because you will end up with a much larger headache. Rather, I would not volunteer this information and only would respond if specifically asked about safety systems.

I wish the manufacturers did a better job calibrating, testing, and installing these systems because they do save lives, but as you have correctly pointed out, they can be a massive pain in the ass if they aren't operating the way they should and can actually cause accidents.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I wish the manufacturers did a better job calibrating, testing, and installing these systems because they do save lives, but as you have correctly pointed out, they can be a massive pain in the ass if they aren't operating the way they should and can actually cause accidents.
Same here. Mine has decided that it like to set off the pre-collision alert in the drive through getting my morning coffee. Sitting absolutely still and the car in front of me starts to pull away and the alert goes off... Like WTF truck?!?! I'm not moving and the other car is pulling AWAY from you!!! 🤬

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I've never had the system react in any of these scenarios. I've only had it react once when I think it probably should have kicked in sooner, but my partners Subaru is more sensitive and what I expected from the system.

What Alert Sensitivity settings are people on that have odd behaviors?

Does everyone who has had problems also have Adaptive Cruise (so your truck would have the radar unit?)
Ford F-150 Disable pre-collision assist with automatic emergency braking 2022 truck 1668547025814

Situations like this are why Driver Assistance is my "favorite" on the home screen.

OP
OP

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
In the event of an accident the attorneys will sue as many people as possible and focus on those with "deep pockets". A good reason to have auto insurance is so your insurance company's lawyers will fight it out if their is a claim.

In the 1970's in San Jose, California a young teen drove his car in to a wall and killed his friend in the passenger seat. The family of the dead teen proceeded to sue the two stores that sold them beer, the used car business that sold the teen the car, the driver's parents, and the city of San Jose that had built the wall (more than 20 feet from the roadway. Surprised they did not sue Coors and Budweiser as wel.

Disabling a setting using the truck's own system is not going to increase my liability. It is smart to avoid an accident in the first place and the pre-collision braking nearly caused one with my truck. I don't need to experience this twice to do something about the problem.

I have worked with software engineers for decades and the basics are to have "use cases" and then code for them. We have Tesla cars that have gone off the road and plowed into parked cars and buildings and the heirs get to try to sue Tesla. To trust the sofware coders to have considered every eventuality and properly coded for them is being very naive. Microsoft's engineers cannot even get the Windows print spooler service to operate properly after more than 30 years of OS "development".

Guys lift their trucks and have tires sticking out past the sides of the truck and if they hit someone they are liable for the extra damage they cause. Guys who exceed the speed limit or drive while holding a smartphone in their hand (or a cup of coffee or cheeseburger or drink) may be held liable but I doubt it.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Well, I'm an idiot. Went into the vehicle settings for the collision system and to my surprise the sensitivity was set to high... :poop: Not sure why it was set that way or took me so long to think about it. So I switched it to low and no more random alerts when a gnat is 2 miles down the road or freakouts in the drive through at the coffee shop... :D

Deleted member 14557

So what your saying is if I wrangled up a 35mph speed sign and made it visible in the back of my bed for vehicles behind me, then their radars would see the sign and back them off quickly. NICE-no more tail gating, I feel more comfortable with the technologies now than before!

Cornhusk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford f150 xlt
Okay I'll I have a problem 2020 Ford F-150 the front camera says it needs servicing, tried to go into the settings to disable front Collision alert and sensitivity and it won't let me change anything. What am I doing wrong? Can't turn off emergency braking either
Sponsored