First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 f350 , coming 2024 f150 powerboost , 1999 e25
Occupation
retireFDNYd
Hi all. Just ordered a PB long bed. Having second thoughts on the 20" wheels and tow mirrors. I'm guessing they can effect the mpg negativity . Enough to change to 18" and regular mirrors? It's a small trailer used occasionally.
Sponsored

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
Hi all. Just ordered a PB long bed. Having second thoughts on the 20" wheels and tow mirrors. I'm guessing they can effect the mpg negativity . Enough to change to 18" and regular mirrors? It's a small trailer used occasionally.

I've driven to work with my dumbo mirrors out normally, And totally folded in and have noticed no real difference in fuel milage.

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
I got to work the other day following this guy that only did 53 the whole way to work. I was shocked to see that I had gotten my best mileage ever. By like 3 MPG. So I did the speed limit on the way home and was closer to 4 MPG better. I needed gas this same night so I set my Cruise tolerance to "0" for this tank (Normally set to +5) and am so far seeing an average of 3 MPG difference.

I'm shocked that something as little as 5mph at such a low speed as 55 mph is making such a difference. On the other hand, Its sooooooooo slow. I feel like I should get out and push. My Wife keeps leaning over to check my speed and shaking her head. lol!

Lifetime for the truck is around 18.5 and I'm currently sitting at 22.

20.2 is my lifetime highest MPG.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's definitely speed sensitive.

But for me it's even more smooooooth sensitive.
Or put another way, it rewards rolling in and out of acceleration over stabbing it.

I rather enjoy the challenge of driving the huge land yacht smoothly, but leading the pace. 😁

Boyk1182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost
I got to work the other day following this guy that only did 53 the whole way to work. I was shocked to see that I had gotten my best mileage ever. By like 3 MPG. So I did the speed limit on the way home and was closer to 4 MPG better. I needed gas this same night so I set my Cruise tolerance to "0" for this tank (Normally set to +5) and am so far seeing an average of 3 MPG difference.

I'm shocked that something as little as 5mph at such a low speed as 55 mph is making such a difference. On the other hand, Its sooooooooo slow. I feel like I should get out and push. My Wife keeps leaning over to check my speed and shaking her head. lol!

Lifetime for the truck is around 18.5 and I'm currently sitting at 22.

20.2 is my lifetime highest MPG.
I agree on the speeds, I’ve noticed that as well. It could be a switch from winter gas and warmer weather having some impact too.

Sponsored

Kshort62

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 limited Powerboost,
Occupation
Process Control Technician
it will get better with miles, and the winter fuel will also eat into it (I lost 3-4mpg when the fuel changed).
My PB has gotten worse over time … first couple road trips I was pleasantly surprised.. I’m at 20k and it’s getting worse with mileage.

madsend81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 157" WB
Occupation
Engineer
Just drove in afternoon San Diego traffic, from my older son's doubles tennis match (county high school championship tournament where he won his first two doubles matches. Proud dad moment!) in Balboa Park to my younger son's baseball practice in Lakside. 20 mile drive, in medium traffic (25 mph at some spots, 70 in others) elevation gain of about 300'. Mileage at the end of the trip was 23 mpg.

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Just drove in afternoon San Diego traffic, from my older son's doubles tennis match (county high school championship tournament where he won his first two doubles matches. Proud dad moment!) in Balboa Park to my younger son's baseball practice in Lakside. 20 mile drive, in medium traffic (25 mph at some spots, 70 in others) elevation gain of about 300'. Mileage at the end of the trip was 23 mpg.
There you go. That’s what it does. The only way I can average in the low teens is to drag race it.

Kshort62

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Powerboost doesn't shine at highway speeds, city driving is where it shines
I get at best maybe 17 in city driving and do all tricks to get to switch over to electric and it’s still a crap shoot …
There you go. That’s what it does. The only way I can average in the low teens is to drag race it.
I call bull crap … I don’t drag or even do hard starts and stops .. so don’t come at us with “the only way to get in the teens is to drag race it “ it’s a $80k borderline truck at best… sure it has some nice features …

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I get at best maybe 17 in city driving and do all tricks to get to switch over to electric and it’s still a crap shoot …

I call bull crap … I don’t drag or even do hard starts and stops .. so don’t come at us with “the only way to get in the teens is to drag race it “ it’s a $80k borderline truck at best… sure it has some nice features …
Sorry you're not happy but your experience is an outlier, as the numerous postings, backed up by pics attest.

I most often get low to mid 20s, on reg fuel, without any effort at all.

Towing mpg, now thats a different story.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
No bull sir, and you left the "low" out of my quote there. The tricks aren't necessary( tapping the brakes etc.) and perhaps something is wrong with your truck. Now if you primarily drive short trips less than 5 miles the big Powerboost won't give you Honda Fit numbers, but it easily out performs every other half ton around town.

What does your fuel economy bar graph show? Right around 20mpg is typical. Post a pic of it.

Is there an $80k truck out there that gets better gas mileage? Name it please!

If you bought a Powerboost expecting 40mpg because it's a hybrid 🤷‍♂️

Kshort62

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ford F-150 PowerBoost MPG  - WTH?? IMG_2603
here is
Ford F-150 PowerBoost MPG  - WTH?? IMG_2602
here are my typical results when I go too off my tank .. Regular gas ..

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
@Kshort62
First off Boston takes me back. Nice 😊

Nearly 23 minutes to travel 3.2 miles. Lots of idling or just terrible traffic out there? 1.6 electric miles right off the bat like that is impressive. Have you ever driven it hard? Maybe it needs a little Sport mode 18psi time to shake it up a bit followed by a nice easy drive home to reset the metering 🤷🏻‍♂️

3.2 miles is just such a short trip. I don’t think the PB can catch up in time for you.

Hans Moleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 302A Powerboost FX4 Sport
Last tank I drove pretty aggressively.

1. Cruising speed average 80mph on the freeway with full throttle passing up to 95 mph to get around slower cars many times.

2. Accelerating from a stop in city traffic like a stop light warrior.

I managed to get 21 mpg hand calculated. Similar driving style in my previous Tacoma would net me 14 mpg.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems