First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Nautilus 2017 f150 2005 mustang
Occupation
Retited
Next month will be a complete year with my 2023 Powerboost. Although I haven't had any major problems, I'm not completely sold on this one. I'm really hoping that Ford will make a better hybrid version by 2027. I know mine is a Powerboost, and I appreciate the extra power. But I'm hoping for a more reliable hybrid version. Let me know what you're thinking about the future of the Powerboost "Hybrid ".🤔
I have a 2022 Platinum powerboost best ford truck I have had so far. No problems gets great fuel millage 26 to 40 mpg. This replaced a 2017 f150 with a 5.0 no problems with it either.

OP
OP
Jimi

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
I have a 2022 Platinum powerboost best ford truck I have had so far. No problems gets great fuel millage 26 to 40 mpg. This replaced a 2017 f150 with a 5.0 no problems with it either.
🧐

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
40! Wow- every road is downhill where you live! I’ve seen 35 a few times on some short trips- but I’ve never sniffed 40.

OP
OP
Jimi

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner/Driver
40! Wow- every road is downhill where you live! I’ve seen 35 a few times on some short trips- but I’ve never sniffed 40.
Yeah that's not realistic.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If the terrain were to favor you, it's certainly obtainable.
I live in the flatlands. So not likely. :)

OP
OP
Jimi

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner/Driver

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Could a motor run with cylinder deactivation idling in generator mode?
I could see that being a selling point for fuel savings.

I'm really surprised Ford hasn't matched up the 2.7 to a hybrid yet
You wouldn't want to deactivate cylinders at what amounts to idle. Generator mode locks into 1k RPM if the demand warrants it. If it does not, the eco idle is a better approach with engine cycling on/off ~1250 RPM. There's not really anymore meat on the bone at this point as the truck with its 3.5L V6 is already more efficient than $5k purpose built generator units. There's quite a bit more parasitic loss turning all of the parts w/ 6x the number of cylinders & 4x the cams, yet still beats the best generators.

As for the 2.7, I don't think it really fits for this application. The PB is a 6klb truck that will shut off the ICE where appropriate. Ford would be wise to consolidate their engine choices moving forward. As ICE sales continue to shrink, narrowing down engine choices is a given, particularly around the need to hybridize the fleet and perfecting engines around such applications. 1 4 cylinder, 1 6, and 2 V8s for everything from the smallest up to the F350 petrol burners.

It's still a big unknown as to what the future looks like with electric coming into play as the dominant road-going means of transportation, growing at a steady +50% QoQ. It's going to be interesting as gasoline nearly turns into a waste product with matching pricing like natural gas currently is (though I expect all levels of govt to go even crazier on taxes). Granted it's a liquid and is much easier to transport than NG so export is much more viable than the gas > liquid > specialized ship > liquid > gas phase of NG's cumbersome ship based approach.

On top of existing trends, the rapid acceleration of ai's advancements is an incalculable variable in technological progress. Google has been quietly building out their compute to the point where they've got more of it on hand than all of the other major players combined. They've yet to release their major models for public use due to alignment testing and its successor model is already trained. It appears from the outside looking in, they've got enough power to brute force their way forward. While the industry as a whole has been trending towards a more generalized approach to ai models, any time one of the models is trained in a specialty field like scientific or medical journals for instance, it produces results that really drive a nail into the heart of curated state condoned narratives. For instance the AGW CO2 govt enforced religion has already redistributed $1tril USD from the global economy, and has virtually nothing to show for its efforts -- models illustrating the insanity of said methods shall be burned at the stake like the unholy witch it is!

TLDR: We're in uncharted territory for the technological evolution of just about every major industry from medical to transportation and manufacturing. The most efficient means to progress as a species is to take advantage of all means of energy, efficiently. A PHEV is the most logical approach for the foreseeable future for most larger vehicles (5-26klb GVWR) to balance range / power / efficiency / and convenience. As energy spending transitions from fossil fuels to the power grid, the additional revenue by necessity will go into fortifying / expanding the grid - arguably one of, if not the most important piece of critical infrastructure that makes modern life possible.
Sponsored