Power Tailgate Obstruction Sensor

delidave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lariat powerboost
A couple of times when I was in the back and i put my tailgate down it noticed that I was there and the tailgate went back up. Does anybody know how the sensor detects if there is an obstruction in the way of the tailgate. lets say for example you go to put the tailgate down and there is a wall close to where the tailgate would hit it or something is in the hitch and it would hit it. just curious how it knows to go back up and what area does it scan to know to go back up. hoping somebody has some insights on this.
Sponsored

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
My best guess, having exercised that feature quite a few times? It is pressure sensitive. If it senses any more load than the tailgate itself, it reverses motion and disables use until manually operated. (not 100% on reset process, that is what I do to make it work again.)

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
A couple of times when I was in the back and i put my tailgate down it noticed that I was there and the tailgate went back up.
Interesting. I'm often standing very close and sometimes even have my hand resting on the tailgate as it lowers; the only time mine has stopped / reversed direction is once when it come in contact with a firm obstruction during a test of clearance against the front of my 5th wheel trailer.

🤔
Sponsored