OP

AntimatterJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT rwd
I could if I didn’t have a real job that has nothing to do with Ford trucks taking up all my time, lol.

Below is the motor R2. If you already have remote release, I would assume you have the latches and control module already???

8363F6FB-1BE2-48D6-B404-50183681F429.jpeg
4D60A5A4-9597-4753-81D9-54B0BC5A5D9C.jpeg
E0962070-E758-4B87-BAD7-530A46D13E0A.jpeg
0F8C23D6-D7AF-4048-94A4-C133A4A2C371.jpeg
E77BF772-4EC1-451F-9288-AB18F6D42616.jpeg
82BC811E-538B-4ED5-9B31-FC2CA9FCED1E.jpeg
4558A34D-D01F-48F8-A087-803B845056AE.jpeg
307A5FC4-B4E4-42E8-A641-1C9E8B584DE0.jpeg
00A35F59-9C06-4A6C-BC48-1943FA7CBCEF.jpeg
BFDEF56A-7FD1-4889-81D3-CBC3B4A3643A.jpeg
5DDC5E1A-998A-4308-BF3E-84852293FAA4.jpeg
Lol I understand that! Thanks for sharing those steps! And as far as what you said with the latches and module and latches I have to agree, you’d think those need to be there for the remote release to work properly. Assuming they’re the same parts it’s just a matter of hoping the motor can install in its location and connect it
Then hopefully changes can be made in forscan
Sponsored

FORDHOSTAGE

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150GEN14
Occupation
Hostage
Power tailgate is one of the THREE options I opted NOT to get because I like to remove my tail gate from time to time and foolishly thought that the power tailgate wiring would make that more difficult NOT realizing that there are going to be "Lock" and "Camera" wires to remove anyway.

THEN... I found out that the "power" tailgate only "powers" DOWN... not "up".

Now I wonder why ANYONE would want a power tailgate.

Have I been mis-informed?

Are you REALLY going through all that trouble and expense to only LOWER your tailgate?

FORD is AWESOME!

OP
OP

AntimatterJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT rwd
Power tailgate is one of the THREE options I opted NOT to get because I like to remove my tail gate from time to time and foolishly thought that the power tailgate wiring would make that more difficult NOT realizing that there are going to be "Lock" and "Camera" wires to remove anyway.

THEN... I found out that the "power" tailgate only "powers" DOWN... not "up".

Now I wonder why ANYONE would want a power tailgate.

Have I been mis-informed?

Are you REALLY going through all that trouble and expense to only LOWER your tailgate?

FORD is AWESOME!
My tailgate is already “power lowering”, that’s the tailgate release that I have mentioned before. You double click the release button on the key fob and it opens the tailgate slowly. I’m talking about adding the function the higher trims have where it can also be closed by the key fob which would be the “power up” function

FORDHOSTAGE

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150GEN14
Occupation
Hostage
My tailgate is already “power lowering”, that’s the tailgate release that I have mentioned before. You double click the release button on the key fob and it opens the tailgate slowly. I’m talking about adding the function the higher trims have where it can also be closed by the key fob which would be the “power up” function
So there IS a "power UP" function?

That makes more sense.

I just haven't seen it I guess....

THANKS for the clarification!

FORD is AWESOME!

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Lol I understand that! Thanks for sharing those steps! And as far as what you said with the latches and module and latches I have to agree, you’d think those need to be there for the remote release to work properly. Assuming they’re the same parts it’s just a matter of hoping the motor can install in its location and connect it
Then hopefully changes can be made in forscan

IIRC, the mount for the motor is only installed on the tailgates that are built to be power. There is no way to disassemble the tailgate to install the bracket.

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
by the time you dick around doing this you would have spent more money than just buying the Lariat in the first place but without the increase in resale value. All for a power raising tailgate. My truck has it and its ok but not worth all this trouble imo.

OP
OP

AntimatterJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT rwd
by the time you dick around doing this you would have spent more money than just buying the Lariat in the first place but without the increase in resale value. All for a power raising tailgate. My truck has it and its ok but not worth all this trouble imo.
I can understand that, but some people just like adding stuff from the higher trim trucks to theirs like the power fold mirrors, 12” screen, digital cluster, etc. this was something that peaked my interest and I figured others would wanna know as well

PeteRit

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat PB
Occupation
Retired
I've wondered how long that motor will hold up. It must have a crazy amount of torque to raise that heavy ass tailgate from the hinge slowly like that. I have it on mine and it was one of the options I didn't even know I would love. It's my trucks party trick. Love it.

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
I've wondered how long that motor will hold up. It must have a crazy amount of torque to raise that heavy ass tailgate from the hinge slowly like that. I have it on mine and it was one of the options I didn't even know I would love. It's my trucks party trick. Love it.
The sound of the motor sure doesn't inspire confidence in its longevity. Always sounds like its struggling to me. Certainly doesn't sound effortless like a minivans power sliding doors. That said, at least you can turn it off and when you do it closes just like a normal tailgate so if it does break you don't really NEED to fix it

Sponsored

PeteRit

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat PB
Occupation
Retired
The sound of the motor sure doesn't inspire confidence in its longevity. Always sounds like its struggling to me. Certainly doesn't sound effortless like a minivans power sliding doors. That said, at least you can turn it off and when you do it closes just like a normal tailgate so if it does break you don't really NEED to fix it
Okay so that's good to know that it's not just my tailgate that sounds like it's about on it's last time going up haha. That motor is always sounding like it's on the struggle bus!

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
I got the xlt with the truck release/lowering option but can't, for the life of me, understand why Ford didn't put the raise and lower as ONE option. Seems like they nickled and dimed each option which I get, but to split an option in two is cheap.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I got the xlt with the truck release/lowering option but can't, for the life of me, understand why Ford didn't put the raise and lower as ONE option. Seems like they nickled and dimed each option which I get, but to split an option in two is cheap.
The lowering option on your truck is an air shock. Completely different than the power tailgate.

Dd08

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion
Does anyone have an issue where their tailgate isn't fully lowering? When I press the button inside the cab to lower the gate it goes down, but the Key fob button only releases the lock and moves the tailgate a tiny bit, just enough to make it look like its released but not even lowered.

Sorry for threadjacking btw.

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
Even with the power lift option on, you can still raise it all the way manually as fast as you want. I like the fact that you can lift it a smidge and it will continue up for you.
Sponsored