OP
OP

mb1983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum BAP PB
2005 was 2 centuries ago relative to document management technology. 🤣
(I have a stack of Clymer and others on so many vehicles I've owned from the past)

Imagine if you were to show that tech back then that the service manual was stored on a handheld device and that you could find what you were looking for in seconds.

We are so spoiled with easy access, storage, search utility, indexing, hyperlinking.......

I grew up with the World Book 24 volume encyclopedia in the living room. My dad just beemed with pride when someone visited.
You have a few years on me, but I was the last of the pre-internet days. I clearly remember the World Books (and looking down at my friends with the Brittanica). Hell, I used to read the encyclopedia for entertainment (again, no internet). I am often in awe of how my dad ever managed to figure out how to fix or build stuff. We have it sooooo easy now.
Sponsored

STM

First Name
SM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
We had a set of encyclopedia in our house too and I used to read it.. But to think that our knowledge of the world was deemed to be in that set! And going to the library to get books that were written at least a few years before... Most information we had was years old, other than news.. Which came in news papers and magazines!

And now we can access all the knowledge, information and results in the world on our phones... Hard to picture how we got around and did things.. Things were definitely slower..
I twisted my foot yesterday, ordered crutches from Walgreens 35 minutes ago and it is at the front door already.. Door dash delivered them!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My assumption is that a thorough cleaning of the hinge components followed by some sort of light lubricant would be a good plan.

The truck was a little dirty when this happened, but it has been far worse through the winter months and had no issue then. I did fluid film the underside of the truck back in November. While the Fluid Film probably does provide some lubrication, it also probably retains grime and grit.

I will also say, as I started to play around with it, the board did attempt to close and moved an inch or so before stalling. I would imagine that there is a sensor of some sort that prevents the motor from closing with too much resistance to save the motor and whatever is blocking the boards.

Either way, the running boards are still working fine this morning. Something to keep an eye on for sure, and probably another reason to grab an ESP if you plan to keep the truck longer than the factory warranty.
Good morning! I'd like to look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Ford Tech Makuloco on You Tube has a detailed procedure on maintenance for the power boards. Basically keep them lubricated so that you don't have problems down the road. If you live in the Northeast or anywhere in the Rust Belt, you should do this twice a year. I do it spring and fall.

Sponsored

PPEng15

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
When I close the door or use the foot button, the board goes to the fully retracted position but then reverses. When I drive off, the board retracts and stays. It is intermittent and will resolve itself as quickly as it started. It is always the driver's side. Never the passenger.

While troubleshooting tonight, I found that there is a wiring harness plug just behind the rear mount. I squeezed it and the board went up and stayed up.

We will see.