First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Insurance Agent
My dad has a 2017 F150 King Ranch and his running boards are fast and quiet. Mine are slow and very loud. When I open the door to get out of my truck I always have to wait on the running board to finish lowering before I step out. And when I get into the truck and the running boards start to close, It sounds like a heavy duty electric motor starting up "VVVRRRRRRR". When I first bought the truck I thought it was raising or lowering the suspension the way 2008 Chevy Tahoe's used to do (except louder). It took me a few times getting in and out to realize it's the running board making all the noise.

Anybody else notice this?
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
My dad has a 2017 F150 King Ranch and his running boards are fast and quiet. Mine are slow and very loud. When I open the door to get out of my truck I always have to wait on the running board to finish lowering before I step out. And when I get into the truck and the running boards start to close, It sounds like a heavy duty electric motor starting up "VVVRRRRRRR". When I first bought the truck I thought it was raising or lowering the suspension the way 2008 Chevy Tahoe's used to do (except louder). It took me a few times getting in and out to realize it's the running board making all the noise.

Anybody else notice this?
At the drive event I heard it multiple times and when I figured out what it was I laughed because it is just as loud as the landing gear doors and spoiler actuators on a commercial aircraft. Maybe Ford and Boeing are using the same suppliers :D

OP
OP

cylon58

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Insurance Agent
At the drive event I heard it multiple times and when I figured out what it was I laughed because it is just as loud as the landing gear doors and spoiler actuators on a commercial aircraft. Maybe Ford and Boeing are using the same suppliers :D
Dang, I was hoping the first response would be "mine is quiet" so I would know to take it to the dealership...

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
That’s not good news. Does anyone have video/audio of how loud they are?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I actually didn't care about the power boards but was forced into them due to KR chrome forcing 601A. I may just leave them in the deployed position. I didn't feel like they were lower than my current fixed boards on my 2017, but I'll check with a ruler before making that decision.

Gen13 owners said the power boards deploy lower than fixed, which is nice for stepping in but more risky to leave them deployed (if you go over bumps and whatnot).

Also I want to avoid the issue @21CaliPlatEB mentioned where if you walk around with your keys in the garage the boards go crazy as you walk near the truck and away again.

Lastly, my current fixed boards stick out about 1.5 inches more than the tires, so they are the widest LOW part of the truck. It looked like the power boards are about the same. The widest UPPER part will the my mirrors folded in, which are still wider than the boards. So I think I'll be ok with them deployed (fingers crossed).

Sponsored

Ford4Life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Explorer ST
Occupation
Financial Advisor
I actually didn't care about the power boards but was forced into them due to KR chrome forcing 601A. I may just leave them in the deployed position. I didn't feel like they were lower than my current fixed boards on my 2017, but I'll check with a ruler before making that decision.

Gen13 owners said the power boards deploy lower than fixed, which is nice for stepping in but more risky to leave them deployed (if you go over bumps and whatnot).

Also I want to avoid the issue @21CaliPlatEB mentioned where if you walk around with your keys in the garage the boards go crazy as you walk near the truck and away again.

Lastly, my current fixed boards stick out about 1.5 inches more than the tires, so they are the widest LOW part of the truck. It looked like the power boards are about the same. The widest UPPER part will the my mirrors folded in, which are still wider than the boards. So I think I'll be ok with them deployed (fingers crossed).
I have to ask, why in the world would you leave the boards in the deployed position? Nothing good can come from that. Leaving them out invites damage, not to mention they look goofy when they're always out. I can get on board with not wanting them going crazy in the garage with the key in your pocket, that makes sense to me. However, I never carry my key anywhere, I always leave it in the truck and lock it in whenever I go anywhere and use the keyless entry pad on the door to get in. Am I the only person that does this?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have to ask, why in the world would you leave the boards in the deployed position? Nothing good can come from that. Leaving them out invites damage, not to mention they look goofy when they're always out. I can get on board with not wanting them going crazy in the garage with the key in your pocket, that makes sense to me. However, I never carry my key anywhere, I always leave it in the truck and lock it in whenever I go anywhere and use the keyless entry pad on the door to get in. Am I the only person that does this?
Still undecided, but much like moonroof (which is absolute must for me) I have heard they fail, so I thought it may save on actuations over the life. I'll know more when I get the truck if I love it or hate it. I was checking the profile on them just to make sure it doesn't prevent me from parking close and then they hit crap in my garage when they deploy. But basically worst case I just wanted to know I have the fallback to keep them deployed.

If the damage you speak of is water/mud getting on the motor part then yes I don't want that! But as far as looking goofy or adding risk, if they are same height as the fixed ones I already have then that doesn't bother me at all.

tn.lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Screw Powerboost 501a
Occupation
retail
Previous model Yrs. deployable running boards look exactly like my Amp Research running boards which are excellent, but the newer ones look like from a different supplier and have heard that they don't drop down as far. I ordered a Lariat 501a Pkg powerboost doesn't allow deployable option so I'll be buying the Amps again.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I manually extended / retracted running boards on a Platinum today at a dealer lot (using my foot - cool feature, and REALLY like the fact that they extend back so that you can use them to step up and reach into the bed).

IMO they were pretty quiet.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch

Seems leaving deployed while parked in a parking lot might keep car door dings from happening.
I haven't see the option to leave them deployed..
I haven't noticed mine being exceptionally lould..
Will check it out.

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I manually extended / retracted running boards on a Platinum today at a dealer lot (using my foot - cool feature, and REALLY like the fact that they extend back so that you can use them to step up and reach into the bed).

IMO they were pretty quiet.
That is my experience at a dealership as well, when taking a Platinum for 2 Test Drives. The running boards were very quiet. ANy time you can hear noise in a mechanical system, something is wearing.

If it were me, I would take them back to the Dealership and have them assess. As I recall, these were reported to have had some technical issues very early-on. Please keep up posted on how you make out.

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
However, I never carry my key anywhere, I always leave it in the truck and lock it in whenever I go anywhere and use the keyless entry pad on the door to get in. Am I the only person that does this?
Seems crazy, I smash your window to get inside, and I own your truck.

Ford4Life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Explorer ST
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Seems crazy, I smash your window to get inside, and I own your truck.
It's not like I put them on the dash to advertise they're in there. I have insurance, and with Fordpass you can locate your truck anytime you want. I also live in a rural area so that might make a difference too but either way I never pull my keys, that's what's so great about the keypad on the door.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
There is a setting you can change in the screen to change the auto deploy on approach. I also included some screen shots of the different settings for our, auto, etc. may help answer some questions.
Ford F-150 Power running boards are very loud 7A104414-876A-4328-8F22-786C596B5D09

Ford F-150 Power running boards are very loud F69B29F2-545C-4D86-A3A6-E8E4FFBCF657

Ford F-150 Power running boards are very loud 65D61F94-CA06-49A9-BF95-265CC9701207

Ford F-150 Power running boards are very loud 70D7E130-15BC-4F19-9696-6AE80B79A8E8

Ford F-150 Power running boards are very loud 15F3DAE9-B626-4B42-9662-D3354DA7E797
Ford F-150 Power running boards are very loud 84FA1FE5-FD78-4A26-9BD4-767BB03B07EF
Sponsored