somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150, 2023 Audi Etron Quattro
Occupation
Doer of stuff and things.
Here is a better side-view pic of the setup
Ford F-150 Permanent Drill/Bolt On Yakima Roof Rack Installed/Review PXL_20240125_212007687
Sponsored

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
I used Loctite marine grade silicone sealant and installed the rivnets wet. I also did a small bead around the hole before inserting the rivnuts. When it came time for the screws I just used basic exterior rated silicone.
Excellent! I assumed you probably wanted a small amount of sealant around the rivnuts to keep moisture out of there. I would definitely be a lot less worried about drilling holes in the roof of the aluminum truck compared to the steel body truck because of potential rust issues with the steel.

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
You'd think some of these photos were professional Ford marketing material. Nice trailblazing work!
Tell me about your hitchamadoodle:
Ford F-150 Permanent Drill/Bolt On Yakima Roof Rack Installed/Review 1706240360053

It has annoyed me how there's no market for F150 roof racks, but have like 30 to pick from if you own a Tacoma.

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
I did not need to drop the headliner because I used rivnuts (threaded inserts) so no backing plate needed to be used.
Did you use aluminum rivnuts?

I want to install a few rivnuts in the bed and I am worried about galvanic corrosion. Curious what you did for your install material for Rivnuts.

Your install looks great. Thanks for posting all the information and pictures.

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You'd think some of these photos were professional Ford marketing material. Nice trailblazing work!
Tell me about your hitchamadoodle:
1706240360053.png

It has annoyed me how there's no market for F150 roof racks, but have like 30 to pick from if you own a Tacoma.
The hitchamadoodle is a Kuat swing arm for a bike rack. I leave the swing arm on because the bike rack is used frequently, it is an awesome bed step (I don't have the built in tailgate step), and I like to think if anyone rear ends me it may act like a rear mounted battering ram. It is a solid product.

Sponsored

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Did you use aluminum rivnuts?

I want to install a few rivnuts in the bed and I am worried about galvanic corrosion. Curious what you did for your install material for Rivnuts.

Your install looks great. Thanks for posting all the information and pictures.
This is an example of one of those topics I spent probably dozens of hours attempting to self educate on. Ultimately I asked Rack Attack what they use because as @Rineland had mentioned in another thread that Rack Attack has probably done more of these types of installs than anyone. They use stainless steel zinc coated rivnuts. From what I gather the combination of zinc coating on the rivuts plus all of the silicone sealant has never resulted in any sort of corrosion. They also said they use SS for the strength vs aluminum. I live in Florida and spend plenty of time in salty environments so time will tell. I purchased all of my rivnuts + screws from Mcmaster-Carr with 10/32 threading.

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
This is an example of one of those topics I spent probably dozens of hours attempting to self educate on. Ultimately I asked Rack Attack what they use because as @Rineland had mentioned in another thread that Rack Attack has probably done more of these types of installs than anyone. They use stainless steel zinc coated rivnuts. From what I gather the combination of zinc coating on the rivuts plus all of the silicone sealant has never resulted in any sort of corrosion. They also said they use SS for the strength vs aluminum. I live in Florida and spend plenty of time in salty environments so time will tell. I purchased all of my rivnuts + screws from Mcmaster-Carr with 10/32 threading.
Thanks for prompt response. I hear you on lots of time researching this topic.... me too...

Your application definitely needs strength and based on vendor's recommendation, stainless makes sense. I am a McMaster fan. Great website and fast shipping.

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Very nicely done!! I debated putting on a roof rack after getting my truck and after seeing this, might still consider it:
1. One can never have too much storage, lol!
2. I have a Adarac which is great but looking at hauling double-kayaks, would prefer some more support further forward.
3. adds flexibility to hauling options.

But man, I’d be nervous AS HELL about those first couple rivnut installs, haha! Measure 10x if not more…

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
I found your research... good thread for others wanting to get into the weeds on this install

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/has-anyone-drilled-into-their-roof-yet.19422/page-2

Did you end using the closed end Rivnuts you linked to on McMaster's website?

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3729/98280A340

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
Wind noise used to drive me crazy on Ham Radio antennas. I ended up wrapping them with cord and heat-shrink tubing over the coil. Dead silent afterwards.

If you take inspiration from the factory radio antenna on your crossbars, you’ll get rid of it…but you may not prefer the aesthetics.

Sponsored

FirstTimeFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I found your research... good thread for others wanting to get into the weeds on this install

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/has-anyone-drilled-into-their-roof-yet.19422/page-2

Did you end using the closed end Rivnuts you linked to on McMaster's website?

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3729/98280A340
I ended up using the standard rivnuts. If I recall correctly the closed end rivnuts were slightly longer than the standard ones. I pretty much copied Rack Attack on the install method. Being a novice I did not want to experiment. They would probably be fine and perhaps a superior choice but I did not drop the headliner and did not want to run into any potential clearance issues with the closed end version.

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very nicely done!! I debated putting on a roof rack after getting my truck and after seeing this, might still consider it:
1. One can never have too much storage, lol!
2. I have a Adarac which is great but looking at hauling double-kayaks, would prefer some more support further forward.
3. adds flexibility to hauling options.

But man, I’d be nervous AS HELL about those first couple rivnut installs, haha! Measure 10x if not more…
Make no mistake, I was nervous for all 18 holes.

You pretty much summed up my reasoning for going this route, can never have enough storage and it really is a flexible/adaptable solution. For instance, if I ever wanted to go the rooftop platform route it would be an easy conversion and I would be able to utilize the full weight capacity offered by the permanent mount vs clips.

OP
OP
somecatchyphrase

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks for prompt response. I hear you on lots of time researching this topic.... me too...

Your application definitely needs strength and based on vendor's recommendation, stainless makes sense. I am a McMaster fan. Great website and fast shipping.
For the sake of thoroughness I should add that after drilling the holes I painted the exposed metal on the interior circumference of the holes with an automotive paint to further add layers between the aluminum cab and stainless steel rivnuts. I talked at length to Rack Attack and they said they have never had anyone come back with rust issues using this method.
Sponsored