First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Anyone have the Yakima Overhaul HD Bed Rack system set to be just above the cab roof? If so does it make noise. As a contractor sometimes I need to carry a long ladder or some other longer items that don't fit into the bed.
The reason for the Yakima is it fits with an optional mounting kit to mount to the Retrax Pro XR T-Slot retractable tonneau cover for mounting to the bed. But if it makes noise that would not be acceptable.
Sponsored

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
I'm interested in this as well. Is there any noise with the cross bars just at or slightly above cab height?

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Be surprised if you find any in stock. They are always out of stock it seems.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I have them installed below the cab top to accommodate their kayak carrying system, which then puits the kayaks and the carrying bars above the cab. I would raise them to carry other stuff like long pipes or ladders, but have not done so. However, based on their appearance, I would expect them to be fairly quiet because they are aero-shaped. The cab is very well insulated and we do not hear any wind noise, even with teh kayaks directly overhead. Reposting pics here from other threads to give you some idea of how they look installed. You can see that I have them set at teh lowest level possible, because the kayak carrier system adds enough height for this purpose, but thy can be extended up. Sorry that this does not answer you specific question, but again, they are far enough back that unless you had the windows open, I suspect that even if there were some noise, you aren't going to hear it in the cab.

As noted above, these can be difficult to source, but perseverance will win- I tried multiple options and found the only way to get it done a few months ago (after six months of no-stock failure) was to buy the non-Retrax Overhaul version, which are in stock most places, with the separate conversion kits for the Retrax/Ford OEM assembly. If you look for the Yakima version that is made specifically for the Retrax tonneau, you will not find it, and when I called Yakima, they said it would be more than a year to be back in stock - BUT that the conversion kits did the same job and the combined price came to the same as buying the specific kit for the Retrax. I was able to find them through Amazon resellers, with some of the required bits from REI and directly from Yakima (mine is a bit more complicated than most given the kayak lifting system). I just checked around, see that the tonneau kit is available at etrailer, the overhaul system is available at Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/Yakima-Ove...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Yakima/Y01155.html

Ford F-150 Yakima Overhaul HD bed rack F150rack

Ford F-150 Yakima Overhaul HD bed rack F150rack2

Ford F-150 Yakima Overhaul HD bed rack F150rack3

Ford F-150 Yakima Overhaul HD bed rack F150rack4

Ford F-150 Yakima Overhaul HD bed rack F150rack5

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
@PungoteagueDave - You rock with solid info.

I was at the dealership today ordering my BedRug and RetraxPro XR. Then stopping by my local out-fitter where they have the Overhaul HD sat aside and waiting on me. Looks like I'll get my truck March 2.

Sponsored

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
I have them installed below the cab top to accommodate their kayak carrying system, which then puits the kayaks and the carrying bars above the cab. I would raise them to carry other stuff like long pipes or ladders, but have not done so. However, based on their appearance, I would expect them to be fairly quiet because they are aero-shaped. The cab is very well insulated and we do not hear any wind noise, even with teh kayaks directly overhead. Reposting pics here from other threads to give you some idea of how they look installed. You can see that I have them set at teh lowest level possible, because the kayak carrier system adds enough height for this purpose, but thy can be extended up. Sorry that this does not answer you specific question, but again, they are far enough back that unless you had the windows open, I suspect that even if there were some noise, you aren't going to hear it in the cab.

As noted above, these can be difficult to source, but perseverance will win- I tried multiple options and found the only way to get it done a few months ago (after six months of no-stock failure) was to buy the non-Retrax Overhaul version, which are in stock most places, with the separate conversion kits for the Retrax/Ford OEM assembly. If you look for the Yakima version that is made specifically for the Retrax tonneau, you will not find it, and when I called Yakima, they said it would be more than a year to be back in stock - BUT that the conversion kits did the same job and the combined price came to the same as buying the specific kit for the Retrax. I was able to find them through Amazon resellers, with some of the required bits from REI and directly from Yakima (mine is a bit more complicated than most given the kayak lifting system). I just checked around, see that the tonneau kit is available at etrailer, the overhaul system is available at Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/Yakima-Overhaul-Truck-Bed-Rack/dp/B07MDSP8T8/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=CRXR6UWRZ27U&keywords=yakima+overhaul+hd+truck+rack&qid=1644879447&sprefix=yakima+over,aps,95&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A2G7B63FOSFZJZ&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzREU2QjdOSUVPMjVIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDk2Mzk4M0tSQUFHVVcyMlFPVSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzY2NDc1MjM0TU9MRUNUNDI1TCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Yakima/Y01155.html

F150rack.jpg

F150rack2.jpg

F150rack3.jpg

F150rack4.jpg

F150rack5.jpg
Hey Dave - How long are your cross bars? Thanks.

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
I know this is an old thread, but curious if others have any issues with the RetraxPro leaking when it rains? I know people say they get it on the side, but I climbed up in my truck the other day and have some leakage on the seams of the rolling cover. I don't know if some of that is just travel from the edges or not. But kind of disappointed in how much it leaks. My golf back will be damp. And anything sitting in my wheel well area will. be wet.

OP
OP
NY Cowboy

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
I have that on my truck and no water at all. Only water I have seen is if the truck is wet and I open the tailgate a few drops fall in. I would think yours is either not installed correctly or defective.
Sponsored