Sponsored

Odd vibration noise from weatherstripping at Highway speed?

adyaro77

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
21 F150 Lariat Screw.
I'm a "window cracked" kind of guy, regardless of the weather. At highway speed on windy days, with the drivers window cracked.... When the wind blows there is an extremely noticeable fluttering/vibrating noise coming from the Passenger side B Pillar (between the front and rear doors). I cannot for the life of me figure out where it's coming from in specific as I'm driving at 75mph. But, I think it the vertical rubber trim piece between the doors.

Has anyone else noticed this or heard this?
Just picked up a 23' and the driver door was doing this with moonroof open (around 60 mph)Dealership had to adjust the door. Said it wasn't aligned. It's better, but didn't go away completely. Not as loud. If I crack the rear window it goes away.
Sponsored

adyaro77

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
Official Ford account, do you guys actually do anything with these message requests? I've never had a follow up from any of mine over the years.
I contacted Ford directly and was given a case number. I went to them first because unfortunately the quality control has suffered. I have a front bumper and rear bumper out of alignment and the driver door which was recently adjusted. The dealership had my truck on Friday to fix the steering wheel being a little bit out of alignment to the right. Have had truck 3 weeks. My dealership has been on top of it though

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Update for those interested and in the same boat. Once I stuffed the weather stripping, I haven't heard the noise since, so that is definitely the issue.

I did some looking around and seems everything 22+, the B pillar trim bows out more for some reason, thus making the weatherstrip not sit tight against the glass, thus making the noise at certain speeds/wind levels.

Here are some pictures, notice on the 2021 it doesn't bow back in towards the back, and how there is no gap in the window weather strip.

Used 2021
Ford F-150 Odd vibration noise from weatherstripping at Highway speed? 1696989075760

New 2023
Ford F-150 Odd vibration noise from weatherstripping at Highway speed? 1696989095562

OP
OP
cturboaddict

cturboaddict

First Name
Jersey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport (order), 17 F150 XLT Sport
Occupation
VP of Construction
Update for those interested and in the same boat. Once I stuffed the weather stripping, I haven't heard the noise since, so that is definitely the issue.

I did some looking around and seems everything 22+, the B pillar trim bows out more for some reason, thus making the weatherstrip not sit tight against the glass, thus making the noise at certain speeds/wind levels.

Here are some pictures, notice on the 2021 it doesn't bow back in towards the back, and how there is no gap in the window weather strip.

Used 2021
1696989075760.png

New 2023
1696989095562.png
Would you mind showing us what exactly you did to your weatherstripping? I went back and read your posting, but can't envision what you actually did.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Would you mind showing us what exactly you did to your weatherstripping? I went back and read your posting, but can't envision what you actually did.
I added this piece of foam right here, kinda hard to tell if you don't know what you're looking at but fixed it right up.

Oh ya, and enjoy my scratched to hell B pillar trim pieces thanks to super awesome dealer PDI...

Ford F-150 Odd vibration noise from weatherstripping at Highway speed? 1697074740573

Sponsored

M1k3

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tremor 5.0
Occupation
I.T.
I've got the same problems on a new 2023 (late June build) Tremor. Noise from rear driver's door when window is fully rolled up. Just bump it down the slightest bit and the noise lowers significantly to completely gone. Too much and you get wind noise from the window not being closed all the way. Spoke to the dealer about it but they are 4 hours away. The local dealer is too busy. Each time I go by, there is a line of other angry Ford owners.

Very disappointed.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I've got the same problems on a new 2023 (late June build) Tremor. Noise from rear driver's door when window is fully rolled up. Just bump it down the slightest bit and the noise lowers significantly to completely gone. Too much and you get wind noise from the window not being closed all the way. Spoke to the dealer about it but they are 4 hours away. The local dealer is too busy. Each time I go by, there is a line of other angry Ford owners.

Very disappointed.
Yup, that's exactly how mine was, just do this and fix it yourself and save the hassle.

dannybob

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
21 F150 Lariat Screw.
I'm a "window cracked" kind of guy, regardless of the weather. At highway speed on windy days, with the drivers window cracked.... When the wind blows there is an extremely noticeable fluttering/vibrating noise coming from the Passenger side B Pillar (between the front and rear doors). I cannot for the life of me figure out where it's coming from in specific as I'm driving at 75mph. But, I think it the vertical rubber trim piece between the doors.

Has anyone else noticed this or heard this?
My ‘21 Lariat does it even with all windows up, at times. Super annoying … along with a myriad of other issues I have with the truck which my dealer can’t seem to fix.

I’ve actually reached out to a lawyer about getting it lemon lawed.

LivingPeachy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Tremor
Anyone have any luck with getting the dealer to replace any weatherstripping? Picked up a 2023 Tremor, which had to have the piano black B-pillar door appliqués replaced on the driver side and noticed that the wind noise is excessively louder than before.

Bucknut22

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tremor
I'm glad and upset I'm not the only one with this problem. Every time I go to Ford and ask about things like this and bumper alignment, they mostly just brush me off so I think I'll just open a case with Ford corporate. I have 4 dealerships in the area and they all kinda suck.

Sponsored

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT FX SuperCrew 4x4 3.5 Race Red
So I found a possible cause for the sound I was hearing which is similar to what you are describing. When I opened the passenger side rear door I happened to bang it with my elbow and there is a piece of trim on the leading edge of the window frame that is loose and made a pretty loud clattering/clicking sound. When the door is closed and you thump the door frame with the palm of your hand you can hear the clicking.

I think the piece might be there to reduce wind noise and fill the gap between the rear edge of the front door and the leading edge of the rear door. It's loose on the passenger side and it's tight and doesn't move on the drivers side.

I put 5, 1 inch long pieces of 3M automotive trim double sided tape under the edge of the trim piece to stick it to the painted frame. That stopped it from moving and making any noise when you thump the door frame (open and shut).

However over time the double sided tape lost it's hold and the piece started moving again so I put 4 pieces of black duct tape on the trim piece and the door frame. They have lasted for over a year and the noise is mostly gone.
Could you post pictures of where and what exactly you did? I would appreciate it greatly.