Gcc

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Hello -

My name is Greg. I live in Florida and I just bought a used 2021 F150 XLT - 56k miles on it. My last truck was a Colorado so I am trying to get used to the Ford vocabulary. I wanted to introduce myself but also have a question.

There is a button that looks like a camera on the dash that doesn’t seem to do anything. When I look in the online manual it says it should provide different camera views, but it doesn’t do anything at all. I assume if the truck didn’t have a feature Installed then it wouldn’t have the button, right? What is that supposed to do? I’ve tried it in reverse, in park, and drve.

Thanks,
Greg.

Ford F-150 New to F150 IMG_6417
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That would be for your back up camera by the tailgate handle...if you have one. When in reverse, do you get a view of what's behind the truck?

OP
OP

Gcc

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Yes - but the button doesn’t affect it at all. When I go into reverse, the backup camera comes on. If I hit that button, nothing changes.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Mine will turn on the back up camera if I am stopped or in reverse. Could be a bad switch or a bad wire. Maybe, have a look behind the switch and see if it is unplugged. Previous owner may have disconnected it?

Edit lots of videos on You Tube on how to remove the dash parts.

OP
OP

Gcc

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Ok - I’ll check that out. Thanks!

Sponsored

belairbrian

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL STX
On my 22 that button shows the rear camera IF I don't exceed 6 mph.
Which in my opinion is dumb

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Post in the VIN lookup thread.
You might have one of the broken versions that breaks the camera button. It gets fixed with another OTA update. Also be sure you turn on auto updates. It is possible prior owner turned them off and now truck is a bit behind on software.
Once you post in the VIN lookup thread you'll get advice on your current situation.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
On my 22 that button shows the rear camera IF I don't exceed 6 mph.
Which in my opinion is dumb
OTA update added camera at speed. Same advice go to VIN lookup thread if that feature isn't working.

OP
OP

Gcc

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Ok -i apologize for my ignorance - but the truck gets updates on its own? Like - without connecting to Wi-Fi or the dealership?

I’ll look for the VIN lookup thing. Thanks guys.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gcc

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
So I went out to check and found auto updates on but no schedule. I changed it to update at nights. I attached a photo of the update it says it needs.

I’ll see if it helps. Thanks!

Ford F-150 New to F150 IMG_6426

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Welcome aboard, good group of guys here and congrats on shedding the Bowtie.

So at 56k, you may want to look into an Extended warranty.
Being outside of the 3/36 it will be a bit higher than prior to those milestones but still would be good to look into.
Granger, Lombard and Ziegler are folks who have GREAT pricing on Fords Extended warranty programs.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Welcome aboard, good group of guys here and congrats on shedding the Bowtie.

So at 56k, you may want to look into an Extended warranty.
Being outside of the 3/36 it will be a bit higher than prior to those milestones but still would be good to look into.
Granger, Lombard and Ziegler are folks who have GREAT pricing on Fords Extended warranty programs.
They are in Florida, any ESP is full retail pricing only. Must be registered in Florida to sell there. A few online options but not as many as the rest of us.

OP
OP

Gcc

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I purchased an extended warranty with the truck. Almost went back and canceled it but I am going to keep it.

I learned to do a lot of my own maintenance on my colorado. oil changes, brake fluid flushes, coolant flushes, and transmission drain and fills, along with filter changes. The intervals were different on the Colorsdo though.

I was planning on doing the oil changes on the F150. Looking at the brake fluid interval, it looks like every 3 years, so it should be due now - but - I read it requires more than just a pressure bleeder on this truck. Is it better to just take it in? Also - are drain and fills on the tranny possible in this?

Thanks!
Greg

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
So I went out to check and found auto updates on but no schedule. I changed it to update at nights. I attached a photo of the update it says it needs.

I’ll see if it helps. Thanks!

IMG_6426.jpeg
If you scroll down that screen after the goofy description should be an update version at bottom. That can help you ballpark your truck in the OTA schedule using the OTA list. Posting in the VIN lookup thread is better to get full details.

How OTA updates work:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...p-by-step-breakdown-of-the-ota-process.20875/

OTA thread, first post of this thread has spreadsheet that lists every OTA update. Good to see where your truck is in terms of updates.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...-history-thread-f-150-lightning-mach-e.16968/

2021 important stuff...
OTA adds using your rear cameras when driving.
OTA adds full screen Android Auto or Carplay.
OTA adds Amazon Alexa.

If you are far enough along to have all that then the rest has been bug fixes and nothing really important.
If you are missing the above you are probably better off updating truck yourself with FDRS. That is a big step though so figure out where you are in the OTA schedule before dropping $600 on fancy USB cable.
Sponsored