First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5 powerboost hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Newbie here, with what I’m sure is a dumb question. I‘ve been asked if I’m going to protect my investment by undercoating the vehicle. What are the pros and cons of such a procedure on our F150 truck?
Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Just stay away from Ziepart and tar coatings like that as they are proven to trap moisture and accelerate rot of your vehicle. Ziepart will have holes in your frame by 8-9 years old while the moisture and salt eats the steel (it gets trapped below the tar). Krown, Fluid Film, Woolwax lanolin based coatings are fine as they breath and don’t trap salt/moisture.

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
Anything that hardens to the surface will cause more problems than it will help.

There is no 1 and done solution. It will require occasional reapplications.

Pelican

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost
Occupation
Financial Management
I agree with JExpedition07 and Cb Mw. I had Woolwax sprayed on my truck. Its about the consistancy of vasoline. Seems to hold up well even going through the carwash multiple times a week. I'm going to have it touched up next year.

Sponsored

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
Yes don't go with the tar, 10 yr warranty one and done deals.

I apply Corrosion Free yearly and wash my vehicles fairly regularly.

It's Spring when the rust does its damage. The thaw and warmth with the salt stuck to your vehicle takes it's toll.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Okay so I have an 04 with something applied by a linex shop. It's a hard coating and works very well, as some of it is starting to chip off finally and there's literally 0 rust.

I did my 2022 in Fluid film. Also seems great. Not sure how to go about fully washing it off and reapplying, but I assume the plan moving forward will simply be a hose (never pressure wash) and spot reapplication. The frame wand thing that is supposed to help get inside the boxed frame sucks dick. I feel like I was able to get a pretty good coverage with just the straws frankly. In a perfect world, I would've done it with a gallon, spray gun and air compressor instead of the cans. I used like 4 cans on the truck. The major MAJOR drawback to using fluidfilm is it's impossible to see where you might be leaking in the warranty period unless the leak is pretty severe.

Somewhat related, I saw an unpainted/coated F150 that was the Gen11 style over the weekend in Colorado. Absolutely no rust on it. I think the older factory frame coatings must have been superior. The older truck looked damn near as good as my brand new truck.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Newbie here, with what I’m sure is a dumb question. I‘ve been asked if I’m going to protect my investment by undercoating the vehicle. What are the pros and cons of such a procedure on our F150 truck?
Undercoating with a non rubber based product has no cons.

oncechance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow
Krown rustproofing is what I did to my truck. Yes, you have to take in for yearly application but worth it in my opinion.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Okay so I have an 04 with something applied by a linex shop. It's a hard coating and works very well, as some of it is starting to chip off finally and there's literally 0 rust.

I did my 2022 in Fluid film. Also seems great. Not sure how to go about fully washing it off and reapplying, but I assume the plan moving forward will simply be a hose (never pressure wash) and spot reapplication. The frame wand thing that is supposed to help get inside the boxed frame sucks dick. I feel like I was able to get a pretty good coverage with just the straws frankly. In a perfect world, I would've done it with a gallon, spray gun and air compressor instead of the cans. I used like 4 cans on the truck. The major MAJOR drawback to using fluidfilm is it's impossible to see where you might be leaking in the warranty period unless the leak is pretty severe.

Somewhat related, I saw an unpainted/coated F150 that was the Gen11 style over the weekend in Colorado. Absolutely no rust on it. I think the older factory frame coatings must have been superior. The older truck looked damn near as good as my brand new truck.
Not sure how not seeing leaks has anything to do with warranty period.
That is a concern that I have with it, but given that gear oil and engine oil flows differently I would hope it would be obvious that there is an issue.

I've only done the rear differential and axle in black fluid film so far because that area rusts right off assembly line. Planning to do the rest later this year.

Sponsored

King Luis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60 and 23' Tremor 5.0 ordered.
Yes don't go with the tar, 10 yr warranty one and done deals.

I apply Corrosion Free yearly and wash my vehicles fairly regularly.

It's Spring when the rust does its damage. The thaw and warmth with the salt stuck to your vehicle takes it's toll.
MJG, seeing you are from Toronto (i'm in Milton) we both know the amount of salt that gets dumped around here.

You are 100% right. Around 4c, salt will start doing it's worst damage to cars. So be sure to spray the salt off (including the underbody) to get rid of the salt. Thats probably the best thing to do. Even if it's just a power wash, just need to get the underbody as well.

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
MJG, seeing you are from Toronto (i'm in Milton) we both know the amount of salt that gets dumped around here.

You are 100% right. Around 4c, salt will start doing it's worst damage to cars. So be sure to spray the salt off (including the underbody) to get rid of the salt. Thats probably the best thing to do. Even if it's just a power wash, just need to get the underbody as well.
I'm not far from you, in Carlisle.

I go through the car wash (membership) to include underbody spray. That with yearly application of rust inhibiting product is the beat prevention.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
What about Line-X or Rihno ?
Line-X is good if you find one that uses the correct product. Line-x's will use a Valugard (VG) product, but they make a number of different ones. VG-160 (military grade) is the product that is most similar to cosmoline. Cosmoline is the best and you can buy it yourself if you wanted to do it yourself. You can even buy it in spray cans.

Line-X usually charges about $600 and you also have to make sure they have a 360 degree wand with the length to get inside the box frame. IMO this is the most critical part and if they cannot do this, move on to someone else.

Cosmoline is an Oil-Wax based product and does not dry out. It does surface harden so it can be a bear to remove, but that is the point of undercoating.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I used Blaster Surface Shield;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HGGZYTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's only been on my truck for about 3 months- but this stuff isn't going away antime soon. Driven several times in pouring rain. I believe its' advertised for up to 2 years per application. I can believe it. Just don't put it anywhere you need access to as it doesn't want come off once applied (duh):

I used it on my rusty pumpkin and it smells good too.
Sponsored