First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor 2022 Lightning
Occupation
Anesthetist
my local authorized Line-X dealer offered 3 levels of bed liner.
lowest tier was like $500
middle tier was like $600
top tier was like $700
i opted for the top tier because it comes with a 10 year warranty and better exterior finish than the other two.. just my 2 cents
Mine will be under a bed cover so I don’t care about UV protection.
My last standard coat did fine
Sponsored

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
One reason I went with the factory option was all the electronics in the tailgate. I saw a thread where a number of guys had to make a trip to the dealership to get things aligned again. If I didn’t have all the power tailgate stuff I might have done line-x too. They did a great job on my 09 Lariat.

Iroquois Cage

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 RCSB 5.0
My dealer said it would add 6 months to my order as Ford builds the Trucks then ships them off to be lined then they're shipped back. I opted out after research showed $400-450 for a Line X locally here outside of Portland. ordered in early August, got my build week of 11/7, we'll see what happens.

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 BMW X7, 18 Jeep JLU, 13 QX56(23 F150 replaces)
My dealer said it would add 6 months to my order as Ford builds the Trucks then ships them off to be lined then they're shipped back. I opted out after research showed $400-450 for a Line X locally here outside of Portland. ordered in early August, got my build week of 11/7, we'll see what happens.
Add 6 months? As long as spray material is avail, this is a couple day add to the 20hr build time. I’m counting on my w/o oct24 build with 11/10-11/18 eta holding. I should know in a couple weeks (hoping heated mirrors and steering wheel is also avail 🤞)

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
One reason I went with the factory option was all the electronics in the tailgate. I saw a thread where a number of guys had to make a trip to the dealership to get things aligned again. If I didn’t have all the power tailgate stuff I might have done line-x too. They did a great job on my 09 Lariat.
I have the full-power tailgate with my Lariat Bed Utility Package (power open and power close).

FWIW my Line-X installer, being aware of potential issues, sprayed the bed and tailgate without removing the tailgate or any electrical connections to same. He told me that's his 'risk-free standard operating procedure' for late F150's, a tad more effort with masking and spraying on his part but he avoids all removal effort and potential problems and customers are always happy so it's a 'wash' for him.

He did of course remove the plastic panel on the tailgate to spray under its edges, same with power outlet, bed lights and switch, and all tie-downs in the bed. The job is perfect, 100% full-coverage with slight 'wrap' at all edges, no issues whatsoever.

Different Line-X installers may have different preferred procedures.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BLWNBYU

First Name
MATT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 502A PowerBoost 22 Camry AWD XSE 97 Cobra
Occupation
INSPECTOR
BUT, spray in bed liner is a REQUIREMENT to get the BAP now..

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I have the full-power tailgate with my Lariat Bed Utility Package (power open and power close).

FWIW my Line-X installer, being aware of potential issues, sprayed the bed and tailgate without removing the tailgate or any electrical connections to same. He told me that's his 'risk-free standard operating procedure' for late F150's, a tad more effort with masking and spraying on his part but he avoids all removal effort and potential problems and customers are always happy so it's a 'wash' for him.

He did of course remove the plastic panel on the tailgate to spray under its edges, same with power outlet, bed lights and switch, and all tie-downs in the bed. The job is perfect, 100% full-coverage with slight 'wrap' at all edges, no issues whatsoever.

Mine also as a default does not remove the tailgate, but I requested it (knowing I would need to have the cameras recalibrated). I wanted them to paint down the lip of the bed all the way to the bumper, which he did (for an extra hour of labor).

It really depends on your line-x installer. I've heard that some will park the truck and wait 20 min for it to go to "sleep" then remove the tailgate as that is a workaround to having to recalibrate as long as you re-install the tailgate before "waking it up".

wolfman1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502A

I'm torn. I'm in San Antonio and called 2 Line-x spots and one takes the tailgate off and the other does not and opts to do more masking. Prices are almost identical. Which route should I go?

I've got a 22 Lariat Screw PB FX4 with the 7.2 ProPower, bed utility package, onboard scales, and max trailer tow package.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I'm torn. I'm in San Antonio and called 2 Line-x spots and one takes the tailgate off and the other does not and opts to do more masking. Prices are almost identical. Which route should I go?

I've got a 22 Lariat Screw PB FX4 with the 7.2 ProPower, bed utility package, onboard scales, and max trailer tow package.
For me, if you are wanting to do go down past the edge of the bed to the bumper, go with the one that takes them off. You will likely have to go take your truck in to get recalibrated though.

I like that I no longer have the body color stripe between the bumper and the tailgate (note that even if they take the tailgate off, they may spray this far down, so YMMV or if you want this, ask).

Ford F-150 MY 23 Orders with Spray In Bedliners 2022-10-05_17-33-02

Ford F-150 MY 23 Orders with Spray In Bedliners 1665005753825

Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
All I can offer is that for me, the purpose of Line-X is to provide functional protection to painted wear-surfaces. That's accomplished with the ~1/2" turn-down on mine, done without removing the tailgate. I found comfort with the elimination of any / all potential risk or hassle associated with tailgate removal. That ~1/2" turn-down is the same as on my 2005 F150 Line-X done way back when tailgate removal was standard practice because there's no electrics at all in the tailgate, and that job has served me well for ~16 years.

If the aesthetics of that non-wearing painted strip below the tailgate that @FrankThompson had sprayed are important to you, then that's a different matter (and a perfectly legitimate personal choice, IMO). Personally, I never even considered that option, and have no regrets.

IMO you should do what makes you happy and comfortable, and not agonize over it!

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
If the aesthetics of that non-wearing painted strip below the tailgate that @FrankThompson had sprayed are important to you, then that's a different matter (and a perfectly legitimate personal choice, IMO). Personally, I never even considered that option, and have no regrets.
I also did it because I didn't plan to cover the gap between the bed and tailgate with one of those strips (or a full bedrug) and I wanted the protection of rocks, gravel, etc. fell down there. Unlikely but figured why not. I saw someone else do it and thought "that's not a bad idea!" Lol

The blacked out strip was a nice side effect.

wolfman1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502A
I also did it because I didn't plan to cover the gap between the bed and tailgate with one of those strips (or a full bedrug) and I wanted the protection of rocks, gravel, etc. fell down there. Unlikely but figured why not. I saw someone else do it and thought "that's not a bad idea!" Lol

The blacked out strip was a nice side effect.
I never thought of it until I saw you photos and realized that's exactly the same thing I want done to mine lol. I'll go with the taking tailgate route off and if I have to run over to a dealer I can.

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
Same build week here with spray bedliner for PB / loaded Lariat. A lot of other builds are week of 10/17 ... I wonder if spray bedliner pushed us to 10/24 vs 10/17?

8/25 order
9/15 confirm email
10/24 build
ETA of 11/10-16
I do not have a spray in liner since Linex is much better and around the same price. I also got pushed from 10/17/22 to 10/24/22. I think (I could be wrong) everyone in the first week got pushed back a week.

Ford Factory = Spray over clearcoat which tends to peel off
Linex = sand application area for better adhesion, better detail work, and lifetime warranty

F150 hopefull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I do not have a spray in liner since Linex is much better and around the same price. I also got pushed from 10/17/22 to 10/24/22. I think (I could be wrong) everyone in the first week got pushed back a week.

Ford Factory = Spray over clearcoat which tends to peel off
Linex = sand application area for better adhesion, better detail work, and lifetime warranty
LineX is a way better product I agree. But if you order the BAP package you get Factory Berliner with no option to remove. I was not happy about this change in 2023 MY.

And to the original point I would have the tailgate removed so they can cover everything. I would also verify that they remove everything from the bed before spraying. I have seen some outfits that do not and just spray over all the bolts holding down the bed and everything. That makes a weak spot on the liner that could cause issues. not to mention it is not as fit and finished. But that is just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
LIneX is a way better product I agree. But if you order the BAP package you get Factory Bedliner with no option to remove. I was not happy about this change in 2023 MY.
NOPE not true. while it says a Spray in is required, it is still an separate option and not on my window sticker. the dealer said you don't need to have it, so I placed the order without it.

Will have wait and see if the BAP 'includes' the spray in or not. Again, no where on my window sticker does it have a line item for an optional spray in.
Sponsored

Last edited: