• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Marques Brownlee aka @MKBHD takes a Mach-E 1000 mile road trip … subtitle "how first time EV owners will struggle with the Lightning"

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
You'd have to filter that make for CCS (DC Fast) and then the locations thin out. Charging 1772 is not realistic for road trips.
There's been numerous reports over the last two years of various software and hardware issues making it hit-or-miss to get an EA charger to work with a given car. There's at least one post here of someone arriving at an EA and charging his Mach-E then a VW driver came over to see how he got it working because it wouldn't charge their ID.3 (or whatever it was.)
I'm optimistic that Ford/Rivian/VW and EA (and the various levels of government) are going to do a lot of network build out before the Lightning sells enough units (say 2023?) to overload the network.
The thing I'd like Ford to focus on is rate of charge – if the Lightning can suck down 80kWh at 350kW that's about 20 minutes at the "pump" and 80kWh is about 250-300 miles (optimal) … averaging 70 mph, that's 3+ hours in the seat and that's as long as I want between breaks … the F-150 Prius can do 500 miles between breaks at 80+ mph and I'm often very ready to get out of the cabin by the time the messages start popping up saying there's "only" 50 miles in the tank.

That was filtered for CCS, no L2. I'm aware of the drawbacks to L2 if road tripping. I've been through VA numerous times and DCFC'd all along I81 up into MD.

Numerous reports and anecdotal evidence aside, I personally have never had to leave an EA station to find another one. Like I said, I have had to switch machines at the same location to get one to work but never had to flat out leave. I still don't believe the fail rate or getting zero charge from a given location is anywhere near 50%
Sponsored

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
IMG_2036.PNG

No idea where your home is in VA but from the EA app it appears near impossible to get into MD from there on any major route and not hit an EA station. Along the coast between Norfolk and Fredricksburg is sparse but not a charging desert. Tons of them if you get anywhere near DC. I drive from TN to Baltimore frequently in my Mach E and have zero issues on the route using EA exclusively right up I81 to Winchester and east into MD north of DC.

As to your 50% failure rate at EA charge locations, where are you getting that number? Not my experience at all. I have never had to leave an EA location without a charge to 80%. I have had to change machines on occasion but have always received a charge and at a good rate and never a slow machine.

Sounds like you really love your Tesla. They have had a huge head start in the EV world, no doubt. Everyone else is a late comer. I'm confident things will improve, and for clarity, I don't feel they are horrible now.
Based on his screen name, I'd guess his house is in Pungoteague, VA on the Eastern Panhandle. If he was driving from there up into Eastern MD, you can see on the map that there are indeed no stations over that way. (I grew up in Eastern VA and have been to the Eastern Panhandle, EA charging stations aren't the only thing missing over there...it can be pretty remote. Very peaceful and residential out there, much quieter than the NOVA/DC/MD area.)

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Based on his screen name, I'd guess his house is in Pungoteague, VA on the Eastern Panhandle. If he was driving from there up into Eastern MD, you can see on the map that there are indeed no stations over that way. (I grew up in Eastern VA and have been to the Eastern Panhandle, EA charging stations aren't the only thing missing over there...it can be pretty remote. Very peaceful and residential out there, much quieter than the NOVA/DC/MD area.)
Ok, I can see that being an issue

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
VW driver came over to see how he got it working because it wouldn't charge their ID.3 (or whatever it was.)
Must be an ID.4, but as far as I know, they are only available on the west coast right now. The ID.3 was released only in Europe, and the one we tested was a right-hand drive...if anyone has questions on this aspect, please feel free to ask. (Yes, the charge port was on the drivers side)

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Must be an ID.4, but as far as I know, they are only available on the west coast right now. The ID.3 was released only in Europe, and the one we tested was a right-hand drive...if anyone has questions on this aspect, please feel free to ask. (Yes, the charge port was on the drivers side)
I think the id.4 is available nationwide. I see some in stock at dealers here in Texas.
It could have been an egolf but most likely was an id.4

Sponsored

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
I think the id.4 is available nationwide. I see some in stock at dealers here in Texas.
It could have been an egolf but most likely was an id.4
Saw my first ID.4 on I95 in South Florida back in early August, with Florida license plates. Doesn't mean it wasn't bought elsewhere/transfer and titled in Florida. I'm fairly certain their available US wide at this point but chip shortage limited like all new cars right now.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
ID4 is available and selling in NYS.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
It's available for sale in Michigan, there were some in stock around here a month or so ago when we were looking for an EV.

Definitely not restricted to the West Coast, it is supposed to be a nationwide rollout vehicle.
Sponsored