Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
USN Retired
With Connected Navigation,
Are the maps automatically updated or do we have to physically update the maps?
Concur with the comment about Google Maps being updates, however since I use my connected iPhone for navigation the majority of the time, any updates I presume will come thru Apple.
Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
@antho how do you determine when you've received a map update? I have a 21 Lariat with built in connected navigation for 3 years. As I understand it, we're supposed to get annual full and quarterly local updates. In navigation under "about" it shows my navigation version as 2.76.3r20220923.a19d9e6c is this the map version or just the nav software version? I've never had anything popup in the truck saying your maps have been updated. I have map updates turned on in navigation. What am I not understanding about this? Where do you see the map version? :unsure:

Ford F-150 Map updates 20230503_083917

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
@Big Dog Daddy The only way I noticed is I have a newish road leaving my neighborhood. It never showed completely connected so it drove me nuts. It just randomly started showing the newer street connected without any indication.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I don't think there is any way to know other than as indicated go drive by a new road and see if it exists. 🤷‍♂️
Entirely possible built in has static maps of US and only updates the local areas you have driven to. Less data to download that way.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Big Dog Daddy The only way I noticed is I have a newish road leaving my neighborhood. It never showed completely connected so it drove me nuts. It just randomly started showing the newer street connected without any indication.
Thank you, Sir. That's kind of what I thought, it seems very strange to me that Ford doesn't alert the owner that a map update has been installed or show a map version. Especially since it becomes a paid service after the trail period of 6 months or 3 years depending. I live 16 miles away from NYC, the roads around here have all been on the map for 75 to 100 years, it's very rare a new road is built. But when I was traveling down to North Carolina a couple of weeks ago on I95 I used the new express lanes north of Richmond VA. for 40 miles the nav system showed me going through fields, all the time bitching at me to turn and get on the highway. Lol, I don't know what would have happened if I tempted to use blue cruise during that stint.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
The rebuilt 65/70 split in downtown Indy opened after I bought truck in spring.
Ford GPS had the new roadway layout before Google maps did.

Never had any notice of anything, it was just there.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The rebuilt 65/70 split in downtown Indy opened after I bought truck in spring.
Ford GPS had the new roadway layout before Google maps did.

Never had any notice of anything, it was just there.
Thats great to hear! I guess that would have been what Ford is calling a quarterly local update. Since the area in Virginia I was in on 95 was out of my local area, I guess that would eventually show up in the annual full update. I'll have to wait until next summer to find out! 😆 🤣

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Thats great to hear! I guess that would have been what Ford is calling a quarterly local update. Since the area in Virginia I was in on 95 was out of my local area, I guess that would eventually show up in the annual full update. I'll have to wait until next summer to find out! 😆 🤣
Honestly no idea. The layout of the interstate was set up well before it fully opened. I was really shocked that Google maps was not updated and showed me driving on nothing while built in factory nav showed me on the interstate.

I'm curious if my nav version shows anything different than yours but I doubt it.

Ford nav was also more accurate navigating to a friends house in a neighborhood and the streets there haven't changed for 30 years.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honestly no idea. The layout of the interstate was set up well before it fully opened. I was really shocked that Google maps was not updated and showed me driving on nothing while built in factory nav showed me on the interstate.

I'm curious if my nav version shows anything different than yours but I doubt it.

Ford nav was also more accurate navigating to a friends house in a neighborhood and the streets there haven't changed for 30 years.
A 6 years back they completed the new Tappan Zee Bridge on I87/287 into New York a 3.5 mile span over the Hudson river paralleling the old bridge from the early 50's. It took 2 years before Google maps figured out I wasn't driving on the water! 😅😂

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
A 6 years back they completed the new Tappan Zee Bridge on I87/287 into New York a 3.5 mile span over the Hudson river paralleling the old bridge from the early 50's. It took 2 years before Google maps figured out I wasn't driving on the water! 😅😂
I wonder what the little camera cars were seeing for navigation? 🤔🤣

Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wonder what the little camera cars were seeing for navigation? 🤔🤣
Check your Nav version in your truck tomorrow and let's compare. I think that the version number I previously posted reflects the "nav software" version and not the "map software" version. I believe there 2 separate things. "Maps" are the Data that the "nav software" pulls from to to make the calculations.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Looks like we are on same version from 9/23/2022.

I guess we wait to see when that changes.

Ford F-150 Map updates PXL_20230912_095419215
Sponsored