Loud noise when power tailgate closes

Rosies'truck

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 XLT, 2022 Lariat on order
I took delivery of my 2022 Lariat with power tail gate in April and all was well. A couple of weeks ago, I started to hear a loud noise when I raised the tailgate. I guess the closest description would be a loud "crack". It doesn't make any noise going down, just going up, just before it closes. I brought it in to the dealer and they spent several hours with it and they could find nothing wrong. They lubed whatever could be lubed. Then they said they brought in another vehicle, same year, same tailgate and said that truck was making the same noise. No idea as to why it just started. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this as well?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I took delivery of my 2022 Lariat with power tail gate in April and all was well. A couple of weeks ago, I started to hear a loud noise when I raised the tailgate. I guess the closest description would be a loud "crack". It doesn't make any noise going down, just going up, just before it closes. I brought it in to the dealer and they spent several hours with it and they could find nothing wrong. They lubed whatever could be lubed. Then they said they brought in another vehicle, same year, same tailgate and said that truck was making the same noise. No idea as to why it just started. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this as well?
Hey there! I can look into your F-150's noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?

Azben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012, 2022:f150
I have a 2022 Platinum delivered a week ago with this exact issue. It makes the loud crack about an inch before closing. It does it when the power tailgate is turned off and manually shutting it as well. No issue when opening. Have not taken it in yet.

OP
OP

Rosies'truck

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great to know..... Thanks!

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I just added power tailgate to mine and it does the same. I am guessing the design of the tailgate.

The way the power tailgate works is the motor acts as the damper. So when it drops the motor prevents free fall. The motor turns a gear on the passenger side of the tailgate. The truck hinge on both sides is Solid. The driver side of the tailgate is a torsion spring system. So I’m guessing there is a issue with that. That is the noise you are hearing is that torsion bar. I haven’t figured out if it’s a loose mount or something. You have no access to that section when you take the cover off. I wasn’t sure since I added mine if I had something not aligned or what.

I am though pretty much certain it is related to the torsion bar. When tailgate is up the torsion bar has no tension on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rosies'truck

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting....So, maybe we're looking at a future recall!

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
Common issue working at a Ford Bodyshop. The torsion rod is slipping off from its mount bracket and making that noise. Fix is to replace the slipping torsion rod

Azben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is the slipping torsion bar a common issue on new trucks as well? Just asking as the OP's dealer spent several hours with it.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have a 2022 Platinum delivered a week ago with this exact issue. It makes the loud crack about an inch before closing. It does it when the power tailgate is turned off and manually shutting it as well. No issue when opening. Have not taken it in yet.
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Is the slipping torsion bar a common issue on new trucks as well? Just asking as the OP's dealer spent several hours with it.
My tailgate was brand new recent build and it does it. I ought the tailgate from the dealer. Didnt take it off a truck. I didnt realize there were more people with the issue until this thread. I thought it was something in my tailgate.

OzzieSr

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Lariat Sport 502A
Having this same issue for a few months now. Power tailgate on a 2021 502A. Been into dealer once already, work was farmed out to local bodyshop. Was supposed to be fixed, but noise returned again the same day. Going back into bodyshop tomorrow for a second look - shop foreman mentioned it may be torsion-bar related. Sounds like it is based on above responses.

OzzieSr

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Lariat Sport 502A
Update: Dealer found worn pivot arm associated with torsion bar within tailgate. A replacement arm is not available, and a new torsion bar does not come with pivot arm. Dealer is ordering a new tailgate, then it has to be painted. Great way to waste money, glad its all covered.

Last edited:

Azben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Last Saturday I had some demo debris which I loaded into a 40 yd dumpster by standing on the tailgate and having some fairly heavy items on it.

I have closed the tailgate 20+ times since and it no longer makes the binding sound.

Not sure if will stay but perhaps some use of the tailgate helps.

OP
OP

Rosies'truck

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The noise has come and gone several times now!
Sponsored