Linex and bed bolts

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
My last truck had linex and was rear ended but a woman that thought texting was more important than looking where she was driving. The body shop had to remove the bed to repair. A task made harder if the bed bolts are filled with linex spray.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Does anybody know for sure if the bed bolts are one-time use? I know some bolts are one-time use and I think they are called "stretch bolts" or something like that

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Does anybody know for sure if the bed bolts are one-time use? I know some bolts are one-time use and I think they are called "stretch bolts" or something like that
They are, I never understood why though

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dealer sent my truck to a local truck outfitter and they did the spray in bed liner and around the tailgate without removing the bolts.
Ford F-150 Linex and bed bolts 1st Wax 11

Roll.Tide

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Dealer removed (possibly replaced) my bolts when they did the spray-in. Glad they did because I had to remove 4 of them to install the BedSlide. The Bed Slide instructions (the ford specific no drill kit) came with new bolts.
I was looking at the no drill kit but it shows it fits 2017-2019, did it fit your 21 without issues?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
For anyone worried about filling the bolt heads with gunk, you can use masking tape over them and cut the tape clean with a razor blade. It might be what the shops not painting over them are doing, since it's a lot quicker and easier than removing the bolts. Then after you've painted over the tape, you cut around the bolt again with a razor blade so that you can peel the tape clean off the bolt.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
They are, I never understood why though
I know it’s a bit of a rabbit hole to go down, but I agree it’s a bit of a head scratcher that the bolts are stretch fit considering which direction the forces on a bed are likely to be. If anyone has insight I would love to know why just to satisfy curiosity.

Sponsored

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
C&A

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Thanks, but let me rephrase. I am curious why they chose torque to yield bolts for the bed, It seems unnecessary given the use.
These bolts feature bolt heads that are specifically designed to stretch when assembled to provide strong, reliable clamping – especially valuable in critical assemblies where bolts that loosen can cause big problems.

Because of the unique properties of TTY bolts, the TTY bolt-tightening procedure is carefully designed to provide a better, more uniform seal that will hold under all conditions. Sophisticated torqueing equipment is utilized to tighten bolts just beyond their yield point.

I think the captured nut has something to do with also

If you think about your truck bed has to hold up to your payload also

I think that for everyone that thinks they removed the bolts to spray most just taped them up as @Pedaldude stated.

I wouldn't think the linear companies would have a bunch of bed bolts from different manufactures hanging around and if they have all the bolts out and move the bed while doing the work they would have to realign the bed and cab which is a PITA.

Last edited:

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
C&A
I understand why TTY bolts offer far superior strength to regular bolts, but they are usually selected when the forces in play are parallel to the bolt, such as in a head bolts which is holding a cylinder head to a block while there is an explosion in the combustion chamber trying to throw the head away from the block. In a pickup bed, your loads will either be down, pushing the box against the frame, or front to back perpendicular to the bolt, where the cross section of the bolt provides the strength, not the threads or torque. It seems the only advantage TTY bolts would add here is if you were trying to lift the truck up in the air using the box instead of the frame and you wanted to make sure the box stayed attached to the frame.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I understand why TTY bolts offer far superior strength to regular bolts, but they are usually selected when the forces in play are parallel to the bolt, such as in a head bolts which is holding a cylinder head to a block while there is an explosion in the combustion chamber trying to throw the head away from the block. In a pickup bed, your loads will either be down, pushing the box against the frame, or front to back perpendicular to the bolt, where the cross section of the bolt provides the strength, not the threads or torque. It seems the only advantage TTY bolts would add here is if you were trying to lift the truck up in the air using the box instead of the frame and you wanted to make sure the box stayed attached to the frame.
top-heavy loads would have the stress you are talking about. Overkill probably but I'm sure there is a reason all the manufacturers do it.
Sponsored