• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Rear wheel steering

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Since the Lightning has Independent Rear Suspension adding rear wheel steering should be possible. What to you all think?
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Never understood the fascination for rear wheel steering.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
I sure hope they don't. Hummer did it to help justify it's exorbitant cost. GM/Chevy will do it just to be different. Sure it has some practical applications, but it's wholly unnecessary, will add complexity and cost, and absolutely nobody is asking for it.

The 3D TV craze comes to mind... I don't want to pay for that crap. Or in this case, maintain it either.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The new four wheel steering systems are impressive and can be seamlessly integrated into the driving experience because of powerful newer vehicle dynamics computers. It's not a gimmick anymore and can reduce the vehicles turning circle by several feet and also help agility at highway speed if you need to swerve out of the way of something. Honda/Acura has four wheel steering on their newest full-size Legend/RLX sedan and the cost of parts is nominal and likely to last the life of the car.

The first generation Lightning has a suspension as sophisticated as an early 70's European sedan, so I wouldn't expect much for a few years. Maybe their next crack at a purpose built truck will be able to integrate four wheel steering and be shared with the large Ford and Lincoln SUVs. The likelihood of it being used will depend on how popular it is on the EV Silverado.

Some parking lots these days are so shitty and the newer ones are the worst despite trucks and SUVs being popular. The GM Quadrasteer system was good but suffered from being thousands of dollars to option with hundreds of pounds added as a weight penalty. Just because GM gave up on the idea doesn't mean that it isn't sound. They also gave up on airbags in the 1970's after offering them for a few years.

Sponsored

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
GM tried this with pickups many years ago, didn't last very long.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
I'd rather they had 4 independent motors so it could do a "Tank turn" like the Rivian can. That truck can literally turn a complete 360 in in one spot simply by spinning one sides wheels in one direction and the opposite direction on the other side.

That is bad ass.

Oh and FWIW I've driven a vehicle with 4 wheel steering and taking curves at speed felt weird and unnatural. You could feel the turn ok but the car body remained pointing out at the field in the curve. Was an 80's Honda Prelude. They brought it in for a 4 wheel alignment. Imagine my surprise when I went to do a caster reading swing and the rear wheels turned. Messed my head up lol.

So I lifted it high enough to get a good look at how it worked and it was basically just like a 4 wheel drive in the steering. The front rack had an extra output shaft on the back of it connected by a long rod to what looked like a mini differential in the rear for steering.

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
The only reason I’d want 4WS is for low speed maneuvers like parking in tight spaces. On the highway and most surface road conditions, I’d want the rear wheels to remain fixed.

Hemitoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep WK Ecodiesel
The only reason I’d want 4WS is for low speed maneuvers like parking in tight spaces. On the highway and most surface road conditions, I’d want the rear wheels to remain fixed.
this is my take too. At speed, it takes some practice to use correctly. Different but similar, have someone that has used a lawn tractor to mow their yard and ask them to try a zero turn. First go around, it feels like an UFO

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
this is my take too. At speed, it takes some practice to use correctly. Different but similar, have someone that has used a lawn tractor to mow their yard and ask them to try a zero turn. First go around, it feels like an UFO
I have a John Deere four wheel steer tractor. One day I was mowing along a wall, got to close and as I turned right to get away from it the rear end drove into the wall and I was pinned. Had to grab another tractor to pull it free. Thats one thing I can do without on a truck.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I have a John Deere four wheel steer tractor. One day I was mowing along a wall, got to close and as I turned right to get away from it the rear end drove into the wall and I was pinned. Had to grab another tractor to pull it free. Thats one thing I can do without on a truck.
Note to self: do not mow with 4 wheel steering truck.

Other than that, I'd love to have 4ws on a truck. Would make the vehicle much easier to park.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Torque vectoring by braking or clutch pack please.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Porsche has rear wheel steering available on numerous models including the Taycan EV. Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
It is possible but currently not planned.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
GM has a few current things and had some in the past.

I guess if you want to crab walk and also do high speed lane changes maybe. I'd think since Ford never offered it then why add it? (Or I never heard of it)
Sponsored