• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP
BEVolution

BEVolution

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y adding Lightning
I should have used a question mark after my reply but I was asking another poster the same question about said safety issues because he or she posted it first.
Possibly like you, I was worried it was a geometry issue.

Would like to see a vendor offer a 1-1/2 or 2 inch rear drop instead of traditional front lift for leveling purposes.
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Would like to see a vendor offer a 1-1/2 or 2 inch rear drop instead of traditional front lift for leveling purposes.
Lowering it will be a cinch, though not quite as easy as had Ford gone with torsion bars.

I think a 2" drop and a 2" chop is what Lightning needs!

OP
OP
BEVolution

BEVolution

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y adding Lightning
Lowering it will be a cinch, though not quite as easy as had Ford gone with torsion bars.

I think a 2" drop and a 2" chop is what Lightning needs!
Chopped! That could be slick. Would like something along the lines of these two.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) Photos EF212252-3621-4A47-A329-8B6F8B7D462D

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) Photos 61B2101B-5518-4412-8FF6-7B980F147093

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
It's so nobody powers up the transaxle and smokes the gearset, it looks like it's taped onto the main power input terminals; which is exactly where I would put it: because you can never be too careful...ask Alec Baldwin.

Ten dollars says that the oil filter on the transaxle is a concession for dealerships. Does the MME have one there? Judging by the corrosion on the casting, it's possible it's been around a while. So who knows how much, if anything has changed. It might also be there just as a quick way to see how the gearset is holding up to all the weight and torque during testing.

Only thing I noticed was the brake line running between the spring coils, probably because whatever it's supposed to be secured to is missing along with the rest of the truck.

2D3A7C97-20B3-4EEF-AFB3-BAC598242720.jpeg

Otherwise, the rear IRS is textbook semi trailing arm, which isn't the most modern option but a strong proven compromise likely made to keep the truck bed low with the existing frame. The geometry won't be very lift friendly because it travels in more of an arc than multi-link or double a-arm suspension. There also looks like there's lots of angle on the half shafts but there's also a lot of weight missing and it could even be a dummy battery in the frame to make it easier to transport.

My guess is that most people won't be wanting to lift the Lightning once they figure out how much it lowers the range, especially when paired with larger tires.
That "transaxle" is the motor and gear reduction set. Tesla's have an oil filter on their gearset, but they use a special long life gear oil that's supposed to go well over 250,000 miles before needing replaced.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
That "transaxle" is the motor and gear reduction set.
You mean just like these transaxles?

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) Photos 1CF60116-76B1-4958-A5AF-05EBF6A59E74

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) Photos 2CDE1A72-CFAA-4265-9C0D-9F59455F0E50

Manufacturers not calling transmissions transmissions is an unnecessary gimmick to both try and explain why EVs are more efficient and present themselves as disruptors. I really can't blame them not wanting to explain thermodynamics to idiots but it really is a disservice, especially now that Porsche and ZF are introducing multi speed clutched transmissions for electric vehicles.

Then, somehow, nearly every time with these new electric vehicles; the differential is never mentioned. Is it because it's hard to explain how the power flow through that simplified fixed gear transmission suddenly goes into seemingly every direction through bevel gears before hitting the half shafts?

Tesla's have an oil filter on their gearset, but they use a special long life gear oil that's supposed to go well over 250,000 miles before needing replaced.
There goes my crooked dealership theory! I hope it's a special filter, because those mild steel spin-on oil filters aren't suited for long term road applications driving in shitty climates. They rust out within a few years, especially if they have a sticker, which traps moisture. It's interesting that they provide the convenience of a filter for such a long service interval. Meanwhile, for many automatic transmissions that can have 60,000 mile service intervals, you get a glorified lint trap as a filter and need to unscrew a bunch of bolts to drop the pan and then contend with an awkwardly shaped gasket that rarely wants to go into place.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
You got the biggest two since both sides look like a complete new plan is needed. Just too close.

There is one more in my opinion that may come back from the past at any speed.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
Suspension overlook...

FORDBEV

First Name
Mr. B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kawasaki Vulcan
Occupation
Robot Wrangler
All kinds of interesting conjecture here. I know the Lightning frames and battery tray rather well as I maintain the control systems and robotics that assemble these. It was interesting to see details of the suspension and drivetrain on here today. Thank you for the photos. As battery technology matures and advances, BEV's will eventually become the dominant vehicle architecture. I would love a BEV for light travel, commuting and errands. FORD has a very versatile "real truck" here.

Lifting or lowering the rear suspension slightly won't adversely act upon the rear wheel alignment. I can understand FORD's thinking here with less complexity, weight savings, etc. Obviously, prototype display units are not filled with oil in an occupied building-it's a mockup display not a production unit. Oil filters are an excellent idea to capture hidden manufacturing debris. If an owner drives through a corrosive cesspool, then all that needs to be done is to wash the truck and change the rusty filter periodically. A magnetic drain plug would be a welcomed addition. Yes, the brake lines will be secured away from the coil springs on production units. There is no safety issue to be addressed, lol. Don't expect to see rear wheel steering on this generation of Lightning BEV. That adds complexity and cost.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bp299

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Raptor
Anyone figured out how to lower/level the rear suspension yet?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
That "transaxle" is the motor and gear reduction set. Tesla's have an oil filter on their gearset, but they use a special long life gear oil that's supposed to go well over 250,000 miles before needing replaced.
Actually, Tesla uses Dexron 6 ATF fluid even though it's a not "transmission" - it's a gearbox with tranny fluid. Tesla states a 125,000 service interval on most models for that fluid, not 250k, and the techs at my three regular service centers say 75k miles is best - the fact that it has a filter is a clue. My four Teslas have thrown three service messages for gearbox fluid changes between them, all under 90k miles, so the vehicles have a self-monitoring system for this fluid.

BlueOvalF22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Raptor Supercab FULL long travel build.
Occupation
Technical Management
Otherwise, the rear IRS is textbook semi trailing arm, which isn't the most modern option but a strong proven compromise likely made to keep the truck bed low with the existing frame. The geometry won't be very lift friendly because it travels in more of an arc than multi-link or double a-arm suspension. There also looks like there's lots of angle on the half shafts but there's also a lot of weight missing and it could even be a dummy battery in the frame to make it easier to transport.

My guess is that most people won't be wanting to lift the Lightning once they figure out how much it lowers the range, especially when paired with larger tires.
I'd never lift one in the most common definition of a lift.

The long travel front IFS kits that make a raptor even wider will bolt/weld right in just like on a raptor from what I am seeing. These don't really sit higher than a raptor by more than even a inch. They just drastically increase how many inches of suspension travel. Some will stroke 18" with the 4x4 CV axles. They have much more robust fabricated spindles than the OEM ones with better geometry.

What I'd be looking for in the rear is a similar rip it out and replace it all kit.

When the baja market starts modifiying these. Everything will be taken apart off the trailing arm, the front pivot on the frame cut off. Further forward another pivot welded into the frame with a boss thru tube for strength. and likely to the outside of the frame rail for range of motion as much as incresing track width.

A Coilover and a bypass shock will mount to the longer wider plate boxed trailing arm and bolt to a cage in the bed. Basically halfway between a class 1 buggy and where it started out. Probably 20-24" of travel.

I'm getting about 20" of rear travel with upgraded leaf springs and a bypass rack on the first gen Raptor

Class 1 buggy

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) Photos Class1.JPG

Trailing arm like this but packaged more like this 4 link.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) Photos Four.JPG
Because the front upper arm, lower arm and shock tower locations are std F150 it means kits like this front end kit will install the same as they did on all 3 raptor generations and it wont be any problem getting fiberglass fenders from ADV either.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) Photos SVC.JPG

Lolat

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Volvo PHEV, 2000 Mercedes SL
Occupation
Retired
BEVolution, great photos of rear, are there any like that for front suspension?

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Possibly like you, I was worried it was a geometry issue.

I did a two inch drop. Easy with Belltech 25001s. Look at my posts for the how-to
Sponsored