Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
'21 F-150, '08 4Runner, '66 LeMans, '21 CanAm X3
Occupation
sales idiot
Hi Folks-
I'm a wee bit worried that the kick-out as the center console sweeps forward into the center instrument stack is going to be an issue for leg room for us taller/larger folks. it is more pronounced and has a sharper edge than on the outgoing 2020 models. If any of you exceedingly tall/large folks are out there who have test-driven or sat in one of these new trucks could weigh in, that would be fantastic. Kick-out circled below (the kick out itself is the silver bezel). Any other pictures from above would help too. Thanks!

Ford F-150 Leg/Knee Room in 2021 F-150 Lariat Interior 2021 Ford F-150 c
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Hi Folks-
I'm a wee bit worried that the kick-out as the center console sweeps forward into the center instrument stack is going to be an issue for leg room for us taller/larger folks. it is more pronounced and has a sharper edge than on the outgoing 2020 models. If any of you exceedingly tall/large folks are out there who have test-driven or sat in one of these new trucks could weigh in, that would be fantastic. Kick-out circled below (the kick out itself is the silver bezel). Any other pictures from above would help too. Thanks!
I wish I could help you but I have to move my seat up to get comfortable. I test drove one in Atlanta and didn't realize it was any different in space till you pointed it out.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
So I am 6'2" and 185, but I used to be 385, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to shop for cars without center consoles because of the way they intrude on interior space. Door panel and center console details made or broke whether I would consider buying a vehicle. And with arthritic knees, I still don't like the hard plastic edges of those features that might come into contact with my legs. I drove several of the test vehicles, and at my height, I had to move the seat forward a bit farther than I normally would, and I still did not encounter that circled area as a touch point for my leg. I would imagine that if you order the adjustable pedals, depending on your height, you could move the seat all the way back, extend the pedals and steering column back, and keep your leg completely away from that area. The door panel is better than the 2020 for people of size, as the grab handle area is flat/flush instead of jutting out into the driver's area. It sat at leg level for me, which I didn't love, but I didn't spend a lot of time adjusting the seat up/down to see if I could change that.

OP
OP
aika1

aika1

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Occupation
sales idiot
So I am 6'2" and 185, but I used to be 385, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to shop for cars without center consoles because of the way they intrude on interior space. Door panel and center console details made or broke whether I would consider buying a vehicle. And with arthritic knees, I still don't like the hard plastic edges of those features that might come into contact with my legs. I drove several of the test vehicles, and at my height, I had to move the seat forward a bit farther than I normally would, and I still did not encounter that circled area as a touch point for my leg. I would imagine that if you order the adjustable pedals, depending on your height, you could move the seat all the way back, extend the pedals and steering column back, and keep your leg completely away from that area. The door panel is better than the 2020 for people of size, as the grab handle area is flat/flush instead of jutting out into the driver's area. It sat at leg level for me, which I didn't love, but I didn't spend a lot of time adjusting the seat up/down to see if I could change that.
that's awesome, thank you. Since you are a formerly-large man, how did that B-pillar seem? same contours as the 2020? I have stupidly broad shoulders as a swimmer. and am 6'5". anyone else have input on the leg room?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Please allow me to get off subject a bit and inject something

Dang Roger! congrats on the weight loss, I know you must feel like a different person.

I hope it was not through illness or anything and wish you continued success. I can't seem to lose 15 lbs.

Sorry, had to say something.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I hope it was not through illness or anything and wish you continued success. I can't seem to lose 15 lbs.

I had a heart attack 4 yrs ago this month
Doc told me that he does not understand how I survived
Drove myself to hosp, and flatlined within 10 minutes
On life support for about 3 days
I’ve lost over 40# since, and feel a lot better all around.
Just over 200 now and was about 250 at the last election.
I’m kinda modest, and I still think that 20 something year old girl sent me
over the edge when she told me she was about to shave my “ personals”.
Did not see a bright white light
It was more like the Microsoft “Blue Screen of Death”
It was kinda pixelated, so I think that may have been electrically induced.
I do now tend to monitor myself better—and know when to “time out”.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I had a heart attack 4 yrs ago this month
Doc told me that he does not understand how I survived
Drove myself to hosp, and flatlined within 10 minutes
On life support for about 3 days
I’ve lost over 40# since, and feel a lot better all around.
Just over 200 now and was about 250 at the last election.
I’m kinda modest, and I still think that 20 something year old girl sent me
over the edge when she told me she was about to shave my “ personals”.
Did not see a bright white light
It was more like the Microsoft “Blue Screen of Death”
It was kinda pixelated, so I think that may have been electrically induced.
I do now tend to monitor myself better—and know when to “time out”.
Wow! glad you got a second chance, sounds like you making the best of it too.

I worked in the medical field for the first 16 years of my working life and have seen a lot of stuff, life is precious so life it!

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Please allow me to get off subject a bit and inject something

Dang Roger! congrats on the weight loss, I know you must feel like a different person.

Thanks Bob, I feel great. Diet and exercise. I'm "blessed" with being pretty stubborn, and I just powered through it with great support from my wife. Now the real work of changing lifestyle habits to keep it off. Appreciate the kind words.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
that's awesome, thank you. Since you are a formerly-large man, how did that B-pillar seem? same contours as the 2020? I have stupidly broad shoulders as a swimmer. and am 6'5". anyone else have input on the leg room?
I still have pretty broad shoulders, and I didn't notice the B-Pillar, but it could have been that I didn't have the seat back far enough for the pillar to encroach on my shoulders. I will say I don't think I've ever had an issue with a B-Pillar, so it may be that my shoulders just aren't wide enough to be a problem. Sorry I can't lend more help on that. My brother is 6'7" so I get that 6'2" doesn't pose the same kinds of issues, and clown car fit as 6'5" does, so I'm not sure how helpful my input is. I do know at my former size I had to test fit for myself, and really still do.

OP
OP
aika1

aika1

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Occupation
sales idiot
I still have pretty broad shoulders, and I didn't notice the B-Pillar, but it could have been that I didn't have the seat back far enough for the pillar to encroach on my shoulders. I will say I don't think I've ever had an issue with a B-Pillar, so it may be that my shoulders just aren't wide enough to be a problem. Sorry I can't lend more help on that. My brother is 6'7" so I get that 6'2" doesn't pose the same kinds of issues, and clown car fit as 6'5" does, so I'm not sure how helpful my input is. I do know at my former size I had to test fit for myself, and really still do.
Thanks. I can’t drive a Chevy because the b pillar constantly presses against my shoulder in it. I admit to wanting a Chevy over a Ford, at least until I found the sizing in them is ridiculous. Ford seems to make a bigger cab. I’m still a little worried about that leg room though...

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks. I can’t drive a Chevy because the b pillar constantly presses against my shoulder in it. I admit to wanting a Chevy over a Ford, at least until I found the sizing in them is ridiculous. Ford seems to make a bigger cab. I’m still a little worried about that leg room though...

OP
OP
aika1

aika1

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Occupation
sales idiot
ha! now throw another 40 lbs of muscles on that guy and 4 inches of shoulder, and you have my problem. though I am an inch shorter...

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ha! now throw another 40 lbs of muscles on that guy and 4 inches of shoulder, and you have my problem. though I am an inch shorter...
best I could find that would show room for tall and larger folks. Will be a ton bigger than an 08 4Runner for sure. Lol

OP
OP
aika1

aika1

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Occupation
sales idiot
best I could find that would show room for tall and larger folks. Will be a ton bigger than an 08 4Runner for sure. Lol
ha! You'd be surprised! The 4th gen 4Runners have more room in the shoulder than Chevrolet 3/4ton pickups because the B Pillar isn't expanded. The 5th gen 4Runners (2010-up) have less shoulder room as they beefed up the B-Pillar for aesthetics and safety, presumably. The best is my old Pontiac, with no real B-Pillar at the shoulder to speak of...

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ha! You'd be surprised! The 4th gen 4Runners have more room in the shoulder than Chevrolet 3/4ton pickups because the B Pillar isn't expanded. The 5th gen 4Runners (2010-up) have less shoulder room as they beefed up the B-Pillar for aesthetics and safety, presumably. The best is my old Pontiac, with no real B-Pillar at the shoulder to speak of...
I've actually owned an 08 4Runner and I assure you the F150 has more shoulder room. I could rest my arm on the arm rest on the 4Runner easily, I have to extend my elbow out more hit the arm rest on the F150.
Sponsored