Sponsored

Lack of Headroom with moonroof

Trevisan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Hi there,

has anyone noticed less headroom with the moonroof option in this gen., vs the previous?

I am 6’-5” and my hair rubs the headliner siting naturally, not super upright, not slouched over.
Super annoying. I’m in a lariat 502a if that makes any difference.

Anyone else having any issues with headroom? Any possible solutions?
Yes, seat is all the way down.

thanks!
Sponsored

DirtFreak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Ford F250
Occupation
Retired ( paper maker )
Hi there,

has anyone noticed less headroom with the moonroof option in this gen., vs the previous?

I am 6’-5” and my hair rubs the headliner siting naturally, not super upright, not slouched over.

thanks!
Time for a hair cut ?...................lol

OP
OP

Trevisan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
The hair gets cuts cut twice a month to keep the fade nice and sharp ;)

Still an issue though.
Do new car seats typically settle down and compress after a while?
Even 1/2” would be huge

Pawheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I’m the same height and noticed this right away when testing the truck. Luckily my dealer had both with and without when I test drove. I ordered my 502 Lariat without the sunroof.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I haven’t been in one without the moonroof, but I can see how that would make sense. The difference between the generations probably has something to do with the seat height or something, I believe they did something to make you sit slightly higher in the new trucks. I’ve seen others mention it and I definitely noticed it when I first got my truck, I felt like I kept wanting to lower the seat to get to the same position as my old my truck (2015) but it just couldn’t go any lower.

JayceeP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’m pushing 6’4 but long legs. No issues for me and am very pleased. Wasn’t the case in my 4Runner. Do you have spike hair, or can you maybe lower your seat a touch?

OP
OP

Trevisan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Yeah, if it sit with good posture my head easily hits.
It definitely seems tighter than the previous generations in there.

I rented a fiat 500x in Europe in the summer and there was plenty of headroom in there which you would think would be the opposite.

it’s very disappointing but it’s my own fault. I was just hoping someone would have a trick to make the seat go lower, but it seems it is what it is.

I will say, I did test drive the Nissan Titan before getting the f150 and I couldn’t believe how terrible the head room was in there. You had to be under 6’ to fit in that thing, can’t believe they would even bring it to market like that.

brettp

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4
I’m in a Ford now after switching from a Chevy and that’s my biggest gripe so far. Even with the seat all the way down I still feel like I’m sitting way to high in my new Ford and I’m under 6’ so I feel your pain!

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Hi there,

thanks!
I'm 6'5 and more than occasionally drive from jobsite to jobsite with my hardhat on, and sunshade closed... that must be some impressive pompadour you're sporting there mister!

Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Put your seat on the lowest position and open the moonroof shade for better head clearance (y)

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
I haven’t been in one without the moonroof, but I can see how that would make sense. The difference between the generations probably has something to do with the seat height or something, I believe they did something to make you sit slightly higher in the new trucks. I’ve seen others mention it and I definitely noticed it when I first got my truck, I felt like I kept wanting to lower the seat to get to the same position as my old my truck (2015) but it just couldn’t go any lower.
because of the number of miles I rack up I'm on a 2+ year cycle the last few trucks, and I had the exact opposite response feeling from 15' to the 17' trucks when Ford started using this seat, I'm a big man and I didn't think these new seats would hold up due to being far less "substantial" in appearance than the previous seat so I feel like I gained headroom in these seats as opposed to lost headroom, from reading these post, my experience is apparently in the minority (Damn, now I might have to apologize for the pompadour quip!)

OP
OP

Trevisan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I'm 6'5 and more than occasionally drive from jobsite to jobsite with my hardhat on, and sunshade closed... that must be some impressive pompadour you're sporting there mister!
Unless 70% of your height is in your lega, or you have the seat reclined way back, or are leaning over to the right so you are in the moonroof area, I just don’t see how that’s possible….lol and with a hard hat on?

It’s really unfortunate. I don’t have a problem sitting high, but when you le hair is rubbing…major pain in the ass.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
2 Options I see,
1. lay back a bit, don't sit so straight up to gain clearance desired.
2. leave the shade open and have a dark tint applied to the moon roof.

OP
OP

Trevisan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Put your seat on the lowest position and open the moonroof shade for better head clearance (y)
If only it was that easy. The problem is the headliner section bordering the moonroof. The edge of it lands pretty much right in the middle of the driver and passenger seat.
Sponsored