Sponsored

Kinda off topic, but wet belt related. Ford recalling the focus engines with wet belts

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer

Dizz

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 STX 2.7 EB Crew cab
Occupation
Retired
I read that’s great a fix was found
Was curious if 2.7 has similar situation
I’ve tried googling service interval for wet sump F150 belt service interval and nothing so guess it’s life of engine
I also found 15-17 engine used a chain
Not a bunch of information out there all searching always brings me back to this forum or the 2.7 in a Ford Edge?

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I read that’s great a fix was found
Was curious if 2.7 has similar situation
I’ve tried googling service interval for wet sump F150 belt service interval and nothing so guess it’s life of engine
I also found 15-17 engine used a chain
Not a bunch of information out there all searching always brings me back to this forum or the 2.7 in a Ford Edge?
5.0 is a wet belt too and the topic has been beat to death on here.
Buy extended warranty if you are really concerned about such things and just drive it.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Well just realized that includes Ecosport and mom has one of those. Pretty sure she is beyond any warranty on it.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I am still deeply confused as to why any automaker opts for a belt outside of nefarious or even conspiratorial reasons. Dry belts that are easy to access and replace are situationally acceptable, but wet belts that require a mechanic to pull the engine just to check much less replace absolutely baffle me. If you have a system that is low cost and reliable, particularly in an environment that precludes maintenance and inspection AND which destroys a much larger component if it fails, then you should stick with the known reliable system rather than engineer a system with known and unknown failure points. The downsides of a wet inaccessible belt are "the belt cannot be checked, it is a piece of plastic whose working environment is >200F bathed in oil with .5-1% dissolved light hydrocarbons and in constant cycling, and instantly destroys the engine if it fails"; there are few if any advantages which could overcome that flaw. This issue is not limited to trucks.

Smarter Every Day has a great recording of a talk that Destin gave to NASA regarding the fact that Artemis plans to use an untested multiple launch in orbit fuelling system FOR THE FIRST TIME during the new moon shot. He asked the crowd (composed exclusively of decision-maker level folks at NASA) how many fuel rockets they needed to launch, and NOBODY KNEW. Bad engineering rarely originates from bad engineers but from bad decisions by leadership. Those decisions are very often motivated not by stupid leaders, but by leaders with priorities which have nothing to do with the priorities of the customers/clients/end user et c.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Well just realized that includes Ecosport and mom has one of those. Pretty sure she is beyond any warranty on it.
Just FYI, if it is one of the affected vehicles then warranty status / mileage has no bearing - she gets the recall remedy regardless

Vehicle 2 : 2018-2022 Ford EcoSport
Vehicle Type : LIGHT VEHICLES
Body Style : ALL
Power Train : GAS
Descriptive Information : Affected vehicles were built from April 3, 2017, to October 12, 2021,
and are equipped with 1.0L engines paired with 6F15 automatic transmissions. These vehicles are not produced in VIN order. Information as to the applicability of this action to specific vehicles can best be obtained by either calling Ford’s toll-free line (1-866-436-7332) or by contacting a local Ford or Lincoln dealer who can obtain specific information regarding the vehicles from the Ford On-line Automotive Service Information System (OASIS) database.
113,689 Ford EcoSport vehicles are affected.
Production Dates : APR 03, 2017 - OCT 12, 2021

Attachments

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Yes, I know recall will happen past warranty. I'm not sure if there were multiple engine options in Ecosport. I'll look up her VIN online sometime.
Sponsored