Issue after hauling junk

landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Help! I have a 2021 lariat with the Ecoboot engine and max tow package. I hauled a load of junk to the dump the other day. It was just random stuff and not overly heavy, but the bed was completely full. I noticed the next morning that if I were stopped and then started moving forward (even slowly) while the wheels were turned sharply left or right, the back wheels would skip even on dry pavement. It's been raining here today and there is so little traction that it's almost scary. Traveling in a straight line is fine.

Any idea on what's going on?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
Help! I have a 2021 lariat with the Ecoboot engine and max tow package. I hauled a load of junk to the dump the other day. It was just random stuff and not overly heavy, but the bed was completely full. I noticed the next morning that if I were stopped and then started moving forward (even slowly) while the wheels were turned sharply left or right, the back wheels would skip even on dry pavement. It's been raining here today and there is so little traction that it's almost scary. Traveling in a straight line is fine.

Any idea on what's going on?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Definitely sounds like your rear differential is locked. Like stated above, just push the center button on the drive mode selector to unlock the differential.

OP
OP

landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Your locking rear end is engaged.
push the center of the transmission mode button to turn it off again
So this is interesting. The little symbol on the dash was not lit up so I thought it wasn't engaged. And even more weird it took me about 5 presses on the center knob, moving forward each time before the lock finally disengaged. (the symbol would light up and disappear like everything was working on each press).

So now I'm wondering what is wrong that would cause this issue. The good news is, the traction is back, so thanks everyone for the help on that.

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
The good news is, the traction is back,
Technically you have more traction with the locker engaged, not less.
The locker mechanically locks both rear tires (axles) together so there is no differential action from left to right thus why you felt a "skipping" sensation, it was actually the inside tire turning at the same rate as the outside tire even though they want to travel at different speeds (radia) during the turn.
It felt fine traveling straight because both tires needed to travel at the same speed in a straight forward direction vs turning.

Darrell
Sponsored

Last edited: