Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Fuel mileage is a funny value equation.
Many/most expenditures made to increase fuel economy would purchase more fuel than the return on investment will ever..... Well, return. :)

Just one example:

I could buy that second set of tires/wheels to get the most efficiency possible. Let's say I invest $2000 in the package.
Or even HALF that.

So I increase my fuel economy by 4mpg average per tankfull?

How many thousands of miles and months/years to earn back that investment?

For most folks with a Powerboost, it'd be 4*30(gallons) = 120 miles of fuel.
At 20mpg (just to make the math simple), that 6 gallons of fuel paid for by the new tires/wheels investment.

6 gallons might be $24.00

$2000/$24 = 83 tanks of fuel.

83*650miles per tank?
It'll take ~54,000 miles to break even.

I'm not saying some of us aren't wired in a way that it would be a worthy endeavor for such a long term investment. But me? That value equation doesn't outweigh my enjoyment of riding on whatever tire brings a smile to my face.

Those 54,000 miles are a lot of time sitting in the pilots seat riding down the road. I enjoy every moment in this fascinating truck. Either at 24mpg or 20.
And I loved my previous 2018 KingRanch Ecoboost, shod with the best wheel/tire for the mission too. Whether 17mpg or 20. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
fgutz3rd

fgutz3rd

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Army
You make a good point. Thanks for that wise wisdom. I do feel better knowing I have a more capable tire when I need it. I do tow heavy when I do and it’s nice to know I have the tires to handle the loads I haul. Thank you sir