Instrument Panel Restart While Driving

Lonestarlife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Hybrid
I’ve uncovered a problem that I haven’t seen posted before.
I noticed my instrument panel restarting while I was driving. The first couple of time I couldn’t figure out what was happening until I finally noticed it only happens when I call certain people saved in my favorites on my phone.
I can now consistently make it happen when I call them or they call me. Every time there is a call with those certain people the panel restarts while the vehicle is in motion. I don’t lose any power or control of the truck, just complete loss of the panel while it restarts. Anyone else noticed this issue?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Lonestarlife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Hybrid
Platinum level in the new 2021 hybrid

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Were there any special characters in the names of the people you were calling in your address book? i.e. non-alphabetical characters

OP
OP

Lonestarlife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Hybrid
Yes actually there are, and I’ve considered that may be the reason. But I have special characters in other names and that doesn’t seem to happen when they call. The 2 that seem to cause the restart are the ☀(Sun) and ⚡(Lightening bolt)

Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
There is a FSA (recall) 21B06 that probably needs to be done on your truck.

Here is a link to the Ford bulletin: FSA 21B06

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
There is a FSA (recall) 21B06 that probably needs to be done on your truck.

Here is a link to the Ford bulletin: FSA 21B06
Yep, looks like it should fix that error. I was hoping that maybe it was a path for an injection hack so we could customize/modify it. ;)

Of course that would mean someone would have to accept the risk of possibly "bricking" their truck if something went wrong. Anyone? :ROFLMAO:

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yep, looks like it should fix that error. I was hoping that maybe it was a path for an injection hack so we could customize/modify it. ;)

Of course that would mean someone would have to accept the risk of possibly "bricking" their truck if something went wrong. Anyone? :ROFLMAO:
Once my warranty runs out, you know I will try to play with that!

fordguy

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
I’ve uncovered a problem that I haven’t seen posted before.
I noticed my instrument panel restarting while I was driving. The first couple of time I couldn’t figure out what was happening until I finally noticed it only happens when I call certain people saved in my favorites on my phone.
I can now consistently make it happen when I call them or they call me. Every time there is a call with those certain people the panel restarts while the vehicle is in motion. I don’t lose any power or control of the truck, just complete loss of the panel while it restarts. Anyone else noticed this issue?
HELLO!!! Mine just did that right now!!! 2021 Ford F-150 STX 2.7L ecoboost engine with 7,158 miles.

Moments ago while driving at 65mph in the highway with 7,158 miles on the vehicle (2021 Ford F-150 STX with the 2.7L EcoBoost Engine) the instrument cluster suddenly turned off with all the gauges all the way down (like when the vehicle is powered off) but A/C, radio, all of that kept working and I was scared the vehicle would shut off the engine suddenly in the middle of the highway. It lasted 3 seconds then the instrument cluster suddenly turned on again and all the warning lights came on too but no chimes or sounds.

And also, yesterday While I was parked with the vehicle off, the instrument cluster sometimes lighted up and then off (no action from the gauges). And a clicking sound was heard. That was yesterday. But the above was like 30 minutes ago. Please help.

OP
OP

Lonestarlife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Hybrid
HELLO!!! Mine just did that right now!!! 2021 Ford F-150 STX 2.7L ecoboost engine with 7,158 miles.

Moments ago while driving at 65mph in the highway with 7,158 miles on the vehicle (2021 Ford F-150 STX with the 2.7L EcoBoost Engine) the instrument cluster suddenly turned off with all the gauges all the way down (like when the vehicle is powered off) but A/C, radio, all of that kept working and I was scared the vehicle would shut off the engine suddenly in the middle of the highway. It lasted 3 seconds then the instrument cluster suddenly turned on again and all the warning lights came on too but no chimes or sounds.

And also, yesterday While I was parked with the vehicle off, the instrument cluster sometimes lighted up and then off (no action from the gauges). And a clicking sound was heard. That was yesterday. But the above was like 30 minutes ago. Please help.
I’ve taken mine in to the Ford Dealer and was advised there was no fix for this issue and that I was one of only a very few that even had the issue.

Sponsored

stocovick

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat
I've also had this happen yesterday when driving on the highway. I wasn't calling anyone at the time, just listening to music and following Waze. The instrument panel rebooted several times and did not want to stay on. I had to stop the truck, turn it off for a few minutes for it to come back on. As soon as I started driving again, it rebooted once more and then it came back and did not reboot anymore. The other thing that I noticed was that the My View option got reset. Very scary situation since you don't know what is going to happen, or if the truck will stop running. To be honest, I find digital gauge clusters to be a complete unnecessary gimmick and would rather have an analog one. Let's hope this does not happen again, but if it does I am taking it to the dealership.

eckz

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Work
I have had this happen to me twice. Both strangely in the same area of the City.

Both times driving either onto or on the highway. Cluster complete shut down, flickered a dozen times. When it comes back, all MyView settings are wiped.

Just emailed my dealer to see what they have to say about it.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Had an hour drive yesterday and the IPC rebooted 30+ times, most times it was multiple consecutive reboots, with the IPC staying black at times for 1 minute. My phone was disconnected from Bluetooth, playing standard FM radio. This has been going on now for 4 weeks, but prior to last night's drive it was never this bad. Calling the dealer on Monday.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Had an hour drive yesterday and the IPC rebooted 30+ times, most times it was multiple consecutive reboots, with the IPC staying black at times for 1 minute. My phone was disconnected from Bluetooth, playing standard FM radio. This has been going on now for 4 weeks, but prior to last night's drive it was never this bad. Calling the dealer on Monday.
Hello Bill! Can you please send us a DM with your VIN and mileage so I can look into this reboot issue for you on my end?

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Had a Ford Customer Experience case number assigned for the dash reboot issue, but it appears it doesn't really matter all that much.

I called 3 local dealers, and all want to keep my truck for 3-4 days just to look into the problem (and no loaners available).

Can't even schedule an appointment to look at it, can only schedule an appointment for them to keep my truck for 3-4 days, in which case it will sit parked outside at the dealer lot for 3 of the 4 days.

Completely unacceptable. :mad:

So now I'm forced to schedule to drop my truck off when I'm on vacation at the end of January 2022.... And hopefully they can fix it within a week's time.
Sponsored