Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Except the Cybertruck regen was superior. It gained back a full third of the power it used pulling uphill and did so effortlessly. Range is the killer not ability.
Regen is not even close to braking that slows a truck and its trailer to a safe speed on a steep downgrade. Tow Haul also changes shift points and keeps the torque converter locked longer but has zero impact on braking.

There are periodic tests done by competent people using this same stretch of highway and very heavy tow loads and comparing the three 1-ton diesels on the market. What was clear when I decided in 2011 to go with the GM truck was that testing showed it had by far the best exhaust brake integration.

I saw this first hand with a 13,000 lb trailer load and descending from 5,000 feet to 1,000 feet in 3 miles and with my GM diesel I did not have to touch the brakes on what was a twisty mountain road. But if GM owners used Range Select instead of Auto the grade control feature was disabled and engine braking was not doing its job. Devil is in the details and people should read the manual.
Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Regen is not even close to braking that slows a truck and its trailer to a safe speed on a steep downgrade.
I'm saying on that test with 8000lb and those trucks the CyberTruck handled it effortlessly. The Tesla Semi likely outperforms diesels as well. It's the range that renders them useless for all but short trips. It's not capability.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
If my truck is rated to tow 18,000 lbs as with my diesel truck, then I expect to be able to safely go up hill and downhill with that load and not smoke the brakes. I could tow 7500 lbs with my SUV although acceleration would not be great.

Where I travel in the west there are often short onramps for freeways and one has 150 feet or less to get the tow vehicle and its trailer up to 55 mph or more. I could do that with my V-8 diesel but not with anything else.

Do you realize that cab leaks are common with the Tesla pickups and that this it is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty?

gagliano7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 XL STX BAP 5.0 3:73
19 speed F150?

Mine has 22 speeds. :)

10 Forward in High range, one reverse. 10 forward in low range and one reverse.

And yes I do use low range.
My mistake 10 speed. But you never know one day there could be a 19 speed!

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
My mistake 10 speed. But you never know one day there could be a 19 speed!
Lets not give them ideas. The ten speed can be annoying as heck when downshifting.

Sponsored

gagliano7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 XL STX BAP 5.0 3:73
Lets not give them ideas. The ten speed can be annoying as heck when downshifting.
I will tell you since my last update the ten speed is the smoothest transmission I have ever had. I can’t feel any shifts. I feel like I have a new truck.

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
you need to watch the range test that tfl did with that cybertruck , had stability problems and did a whopping 85 miles before needing to be changed... i will have a few more gas trucks before the switch

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
I find people way too sensitive about tow ratings honestly. I'm in trucking and 50% (random percent pulled directly from my anus) of the used commercial trucks are overloaded and they are just fine.

There seems to be a belief that when towing, one should not have to have any consideration what-so-ever for cooling, braking, and so on. As if the tow vehicle should do everything for you.

The idea that you need to be under the tow limit for 'safety' is also silly. The manufacturer already did that for you, and then some.

Yes, you should expect to have to drive slowly and deliberately while towing. That's normal.
Sponsored