Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
TFL dropped a new video yesterday. Each truck was impressive in its own right but the F-150 definitely left some to be desired in the downhill braking. Granted no exhaust brakes in a gas engine so not exactly a surprise. Impressed that the 5.0 matched the 6.7 Cummins on wide open throttle acceleration towing that Expedition SUV though, especially at elevation. The Ram does seem to be lifted with bigger wheels though so the Cummins gear ratio is likely effectively reduced vs stock. Either way the Coyote matching the Diesel in that portion was cool to see.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
My immediate take away is that if not for the range the CyberTruck was far superior to both. Downhill, uphill, merging in, sag, noise level, it was just effortless. Cost per mile was even less with the downhill regen. Cost about $5.20 going up and made about $1.50 coming down.

That lack of range is the Achilles.

The 5.0 showed nicely that even at altitude it can get the job done. Everyday Ike? Maybe choose something else. Towing an RV across the country with varying elevations and grades? Absolutely!

Edit: I'll add that they probably didn't have the CT setup optimized and were just running defaults or it might have performed even better lol.

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Towing uphill the F-150 used less than 5% of the available fuel while the CT used 17% of its available.
Sports fans know that the most important ability is availability ;)

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
My immediate take away is that if not for the range the CyberTruck was far superior to both. Downhill, uphill, merging in, sag, noise level, it was just effortless. Cost per mile was even less with the downhill regen. Cost about $5.20 going up and made about $1.50 coming down.

That lack of range is the Achilles.

The 5.0 showed nicely that even at altitude it can get the job done. Everyday Ike? Maybe choose something else. Towing an RV across the country with varying elevations and grades? Absolutely!

Edit: I'll add that they probably didn't have the CT setup optimized and were just running defaults or it might have performed even better lol.
Range is a huge problem with EVs. They won't be mainstream until they are able to compensate for the lack of pull thru charging stations with significantly longer range. You'd probably need about 400-500 miles of range while towing, or about 1600-2000 miles of range unloaded.

Sponsored

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
Most owners will be using Cruise control on the highway. That would, in tow haul mode shift down to reduce the demand on the brakes.

Did he mention the final drive gear ratio of the Ford?

gagliano7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 XL STX BAP 5.0 3:73
I have towed with my 5.0 3:73 gears 10 speed. Before I had a 18 GMC 6.2 3:23 gears 8 speed. I am sorry but the 6.2 with its torque tows better than 5.0. I could tell the difference right away.

Last edited:

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
I have towed with my 5.0 3:73 gears 19 speed. Before I had a 18 GMC 6.2 3:23 gears 8 speed. I am sorry but the 6.2 with its torque tows better than 5.0. I could tell the difference right away.
19 speed F150?

Mine has 22 speeds. :)

10 Forward in High range, one reverse. 10 forward in low range and one reverse.

And yes I do use low range.

Sponsored

Walter Townsend

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Off Road Fishing Edition 5.0
Occupation
Owner Operator Starlight Tool Services Ltd Millwright/Welder/Machinist/Electronics tech
I briefly considered getting the Lightning, but despite its massive towing capacity, it's range sucked. I could not do the round trip from my place to Trail and back towing our cargo trailer without having to find a place to charge it up. 5.0 Coyote for the win.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
These guys are clueless about towing. What goes up must come down and with a heavy tow load there is no substitute for having a diesel engine with its exhaust brake going down steep grades.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Except the Cybertruck regen was superior. It gained back a full third of the power it used pulling uphill and did so effortlessly. Range is the killer not ability.

Murrk847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 5.0 F150 STX
Except the Cybertruck regen was superior. It gained back a full third of the power it used pulling uphill and did so effortlessly. Range is the killer not ability.
Yup, My current issues with electric trucks are range under tow. The battery weight to range goes up like a hockey stick. Once they figure out how to make batteries do more with less weight then we will be talking.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
If you tow heavy and often the Cummins makes perfect sense.

But it doesn't make sense to choose a powertrain based on a rare circumstance if you might tow the Ike Gauntlet 2x in your life or something!

The 5.0 is a lot slower at altitude while towing a steep grade, this isn't surprising. What would be weird is buying the Cummins when you don't do that, or something similar, with any regularity.

I will say as someone that used to live in Denver, if you live at altitude, you'll be better served by buying a forced induction motor than a naturally aspirated engine.
Sponsored