Sponsored

HVAC Auto Climate Control too Hot

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
2023 Powerboost I bought in May. Automatic climate control was working just fine in warmer weather.

Last couple mornings now we are below freezing where I live and I'm having a strange issue (maybe) with the automatic climate control getting me way too hot, particularly the footwell area.

Every other car I've been in with auto climate, I set around, say 68 and I just leave it for the winter. Warms up the car then gradually decreases temp and fan and its comfortable.

But the F150 I set the climate at say, 66 or 67. Truck starts warming up but after 5-10 minutes the cabin is getting HOT. As in I feel like I want to take my fleece jacket off. My feet in particular are getting roasted.

So I turn the temp down to something like 62. It seems to blow a little less hot but still seems rather hot air is coming out of the vents. I would say this becomes acceptable but 62 is pretty cold and only 2 degrees from just setting it on LO, which seems absurd when it is 25 degrees outside.

Then yesterday I was finally in the truck for a pretty long drive, leaving the heat at 62 (I also turned the 3-light auto fan button down to 1 light to prevent so much heat from getting pushed) and eventually I started getting cold. The air out of the vents was definitely cool... which is what I'd expect if I had a car set at 62 because 62 is indeed too cold a setting. So I had to then turn the temp up to 65 or 66 to get a proper feeling temp coming out of the vents.

I read a bit on the other forum out there and others have complained about this but didn't sound like any solution found there. Couldn't find a discussion here about this so wanted to ask.

I almost suspect this is not a problem with my truck but rather poor design possibly. Like the thermometer reading the cabin temp is in a bad location or something that remains cold for too long, so the truck keeps pumping too much heat even though the passenger area is at the correct temperature? Then eventually the cabin fully warms up, the thermometer finally warms up to 62, and it switches thinking you want it colder... and then you have to turn the temp up?

I've just never been in a car, including other Ford sedans over the years, where I feel like I get sweated out at 62 then it becomes too cold and I have to turn the temp up 4-5 degrees. Seems very all-or-nothing and requires way more monitoring and adjustment than a set-it-and-forget-it auto climate system should.

Any others here with similar issue?
Sponsored

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
My auto climate control is the same way. The floor vents are blowing extremely hot air and makes it uncomfortable after 15 or 20 minutes driving. It never turns down the temperature or stops blowing as the cab gets up to temperature. I always have to just turn the heat off.

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
Yep, same here. Just the way it is unfortunately

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
2023 Powerboost I bought in May. Automatic climate control was working just fine in warmer weather.

Last couple mornings now we are below freezing where I live and I'm having a strange issue (maybe) with the automatic climate control getting me way too hot, particularly the footwell area.

Every other car I've been in with auto climate, I set around, say 68 and I just leave it for the winter. Warms up the car then gradually decreases temp and fan and its comfortable.

But the F150 I set the climate at say, 66 or 67. Truck starts warming up but after 5-10 minutes the cabin is getting HOT. As in I feel like I want to take my fleece jacket off. My feet in particular are getting roasted.

So I turn the temp down to something like 62. It seems to blow a little less hot but still seems rather hot air is coming out of the vents. I would say this becomes acceptable but 62 is pretty cold and only 2 degrees from just setting it on LO, which seems absurd when it is 25 degrees outside.

Then yesterday I was finally in the truck for a pretty long drive, leaving the heat at 62 (I also turned the 3-light auto fan button down to 1 light to prevent so much heat from getting pushed) and eventually I started getting cold. The air out of the vents was definitely cool... which is what I'd expect if I had a car set at 62 because 62 is indeed too cold a setting. So I had to then turn the temp up to 65 or 66 to get a proper feeling temp coming out of the vents.

I read a bit on the other forum out there and others have complained about this but didn't sound like any solution found there. Couldn't find a discussion here about this so wanted to ask.

I almost suspect this is not a problem with my truck but rather poor design possibly. Like the thermometer reading the cabin temp is in a bad location or something that remains cold for too long, so the truck keeps pumping too much heat even though the passenger area is at the correct temperature? Then eventually the cabin fully warms up, the thermometer finally warms up to 62, and it switches thinking you want it colder... and then you have to turn the temp up?

I've just never been in a car, including other Ford sedans over the years, where I feel like I get sweated out at 62 then it becomes too cold and I have to turn the temp up 4-5 degrees. Seems very all-or-nothing and requires way more monitoring and adjustment than a set-it-and-forget-it auto climate system should.

Any others here with similar issue?

I have the same issue as well. In my truck (‘23 PB) the issue seems exacerbated this time of year when the outside temperature is 40-60 F, but the truck is actually warm inside from sitting in the sun, and it seems like the system is at least partially taking its cue from the outside temps as it floods the 70F cabin with hot air.

Like yourself- I have noticed the longer I am in the truck, the better it seems to get- but it rarely adjusts fully in my typical 25 minute commute to or from work.

OP
OP

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Well shoot. Guess I'll just figure out how to work around this one.

Seems absurd to me. Though this is my first pickup, everything else has been sedans or small crossovers so maybe the huge cab is part of this?

Anyone had other trucks in the past and did they operate this way?

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's a huge cabin in comparison to many vehicles. I suspect that the location of the temperature sensor(s) is compromising the accuracy in some areas (footwell)?

Also, from some previous topics regarding the HVAC system, Ford has admitted to having temp sensors that malfunction, and as a result the HVAC system can operate outside the intended parameters. In certain cases it will freeze up the in-cabin heat exchanger.

I'm guessing we just have to determine what our own personal work around is for the seasonal ambient conditions and preferences? Ford obviously didn't cover all the bases, so we don't necessarily have set-it-and-forget-it luxury year round.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Same problem with mine. My 08 Lariat was much better. I rarely had to change the temp in it. This new truck is all over the place.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Mine is kinda the same. Although it will kinda even out after awhile. That said I hate having to drive with a big jacket on unless it’s a real short trip so most of the time I take my jacket off. Kinda like being in the house, I don’t wear a jacket when at home either. 🤣🤣

Beagleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Powerboost 502A
i noticed the same situation last week with my '23 Lariat. Didn't have any issues with my previous 3 F-150's starting with a '97.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I thought it was just me as I usually run pretty hot natured so I’m always trying to cool off lol. I keep getting warm at 65 or so and turn it down to 60. Today I had to crack a window because low was blowing full cold at me but 60 was too hot. Eventually I realized I was now cold and had to close the window and turn it up to about 68 where it evened out and I was happy the rest of the drive.

The outside temperature seems to have too big of a bearing on the truck’s HVAC. When I start my truck in the garage it reads the outside temp around 75 degrees. The HVAC on auto at 65 or so blasts A/C at my face. 2 minutes down the road where the cabin temp hasn’t really changed (I turn off the HVAC so it stops blowing A/C in the beginning) but the temp outside sensor has dipped into the 40s, it blows crazy hot air on the same temp setting. Then I gotta lower it to 60 again

Sponsored

Zig10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
I've got the same issue with my '23 PB. Never had any of my previous cars with auto climate control react like this one, including my wife's 2018 Expedition. Best I can figure is that there is a control algorithm that tries to bring the cab to setpoint faster based upon outdoor air temperature. Interestingly enough, I use similar control strategies on building HVAC systems that I work with, but since buildings have much higher mass it tends to still be a lot smoother in execution. I think this is just a good concept that is half-baked.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I keep my blower set at 5 and temp on 66-68 in the PB with face/foot vents on. The fact the AC is variable like a mini split makes its impact negligible if it's on. 25 degrees or 80 the temp is comfortable. I use the seat climate quite often. Heated MCS, is the best part of winter.

jedirulez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
I've noticed this too with my 2023 Tremor, both when I picked it up early this spring when temperatures were cool and again now in the fall. My 2019 Ranger would freeze me out at 67-68 this time of year, but this truck its literally blowing hot air at that temp. I believe it is a faulty sensor, but my closest dealership is a pain to work with, waiting to take it to another dealer for a few other small issues. See this thread for more info:
https://www.f150ecoboost.net/thread...n’t-seem-to-be-working-correctly.87177/page-3

Ranger96

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, 2022 Ford Bronco, 2022 Transit Connect
Occupation
Business owner
I'm glad to read its not just me. The first few times this happened this week I thought I was getting sick or having hot flashes and getting flushed out. Mine is kept in the garage overnight and set to 67 it will blow cold air initially then once the truck outside temp sensor adjusts to the 40F outside air it blasts the heat until it's too hot. I've been turning it down to between 62-64 or just turning off the auto setting and running the system on defrost and feet set at 65 with the fan speed around 3-4 seems to not overheat like the auto setting does. I'll have to play with it more to find a better setting that adjusts from the garage temp to the outside air temp. I'm thinking it will be best to keep it off auto on startup until the system has had time to adjust the outside air and cab temps, then turning it on auto after 10-15 min and see if it adjusts better.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I don’t think there is an inside temperature sensor. I think the temperature setting we see is a representation of the dial selector position. At least I can’t see the inside temperature displayed. Using the dual function I see two different desired results, not actual inside temperature values. It’s just “How cold/hot do want the air to blow and how hard do you want to blow it?”
Sponsored