Sponsored

House Transfer Switch - Automatically Bonded Neutral Ready?

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
About 6 years ago I had a transfer switch installed in the house and I have about 5 main breakers running on it. In order to activate it I have to plug in the generator, flip the breaker switch that disconnects it from the main and routes the power flow from the generator.

I have not been able to try it with the 2022 PB I just got yet, but can anyone tell me if having a transfer switch like this automatically makes it compatible with a bonded neutral generator? Any incite will be appreciated.

Also I have followed the other threads about powering the house with the PB but I never saw anyone say that the transfer switch disconnecting from the main will automatically be the feature to make a bonded neutral generator work.
Sponsored

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Not sure that is gonna work but I would like to know all the details of it does.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I have about 5 main breakers running on it.
I'm assuming that this means that you have five circuits that you can power the generator with when you flip the interlock.

If those circuits have a separate termination inside the panel between Ground and Neutral, then yes you should be able to run this panel off of a ProPower Onboard umbillical.

If the grounds and neutrals are tied together like all Main panels, then the answer is no. (unless you want to fudge it and make this thread go another 30 pages)

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
So long as the main switch/breaker transfers both the hots and the neutral it'll work. If the neutral remains connected to the house ground, the truck unit will trip.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
1 - I'm assuming that this means that you have five circuits that you can power the generator with when you flip the interlock.

2 - If those circuits have a separate termination inside the panel between Ground and Neutral, then yes you should be able to run this panel off of a ProPower Onboard umbillical.

3 - If the grounds and neutrals are tied together like all Main panels, then the answer is no. (unless you want to fudge it and make this thread go another 30 pages)
1 - Yes, it is 5 circuits. Fridge, living room, bedroom etc.
2 - That is what I wanted to know. I do not know if the electrician used a "common" ground between the panels. I would think that he did not, hence the need for the 2nd panel transfer switch, but I do not know for sure. This gives me something to troubleshoot if it does not work.
3 - HA! Fudging it is not what I want to do and those threads that turn into a 30 page pissing contest between a hundred different ways to "fudge" it, is not helpful. I am just Joe Blow without an electrical degree who just wants it done safely. :)
So long as the main switch/breaker transfers both the hots and the neutral it'll work. If the neutral remains connected to the house ground, the truck unit will trip.
Thanks! I will have to go into the crawl space to see if the transfer switch panel has a separate ground run somewhere. I am hoping it is simple to just have the transfer switch run its own ground somewhere. Hopefully that is what was done already.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
If you don't know how to inspect the wiring to determine if the neutral is switched, then looking for a part number on the transfer panel will be your best bet. It is highly unlikely a neutral switching transfer switch was installed, it's not the standard panel, it is an upgrade.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
You would have to provide the information from the transfer switch, manufacturer and model number for us to be any help. To be honest, I’d keep using the generator as it works for what you need and only use the PB as a backup by way of extension cords.
Sponsored