Sponsored

Shift truck into neutral without engine running?

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew XLT 302A 4x4 5.0L 3.31
I have a 2022 302A with the 5.0L.

Is there a way to shift the truck into neutral with the engine NOT running?
When hitting the start push button once without my foot on the brake, the truck is in accessory mode and the column shifter is locked in park.
Sponsored

Last edited:

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
did you try key on,,,engine off and press brake pedal then shift?
thats how it works in my truck
or press start button with foot not on brake puts you in acc pwr, then press brake and shift

OP
OP

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
did you try key on,,,engine off and press brake pedal then shift?
thats how it works in my truck
or press start button with foot not on brake puts you in acc pwr, then press brake and shift
Thanks, I should have mentioned that in my original post.
Yes. It wont shift out of park unless the engine is running.

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I saw a post with photos here somewhere (can't find it now) and I think I remember seeing something about it in the owners manual but.

If you pull the trim below your steering column, there's a strap behind there (yellow if I recall) and when you pull it, it disengages your transmission and allows your truck to roll freely.

I would think a seasoned tow truck driver would have better knowledge and some experience with this as well so you might ask...

Sponsored

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
No easy way to do it - it drives me nuts. I’m not popping trim off and pulling an emergency release every time I want to move my truck without the engine running.
I agree.
And it explains why they did away with the locking steering wheel.

I guess it's just one of the prices we pay for all the new tech.

But does seem like they could have come up with a better way...

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I saw a post with photos here somewhere (can't find it now) and I think I remember seeing something about it in the owners manual but.

If you pull the trim below your steering column, there's a strap behind there (yellow if I recall) and when you pull it, it disengages your transmission and allows your truck to roll freely.

I would think a seasoned tow truck driver would have better knowledge and some experience with this as well so you might ask...
That was "me" but here's what you're looking for...

Ford F-150 Shift truck into neutral without engine running? Neutral Strap [4]
Ford F-150 Shift truck into neutral without engine running? Neutral Strap [1]
Ford F-150 Shift truck into neutral without engine running? Neutral Strap [2]
Ford F-150 Shift truck into neutral without engine running? Neutral Strap [3]

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Who knew it would be so complicated. Is there a procedure for pulling off the trim pieces, etc.?
It isn't complicated and you don't need to remove any trim pieces.

The horizontal cover over the neutral override lever is a door hinged at the bottom with plastic spring-prongs holding it closed; you may need a flat nylon pry-tool to insert in the thin gap at the top to pry without marring the trim above it.

Pull the lever out 90* and it'll stay in that 'neutral' position; pull it again and it'll spring back to the closed 'normal' position.

If you insist on doing this regularly you could easily fashion your own 'permanent' thin webbing pull-tabs to grab and pull the hatch open. If you want the plastic retaining prongs to release easier try some dry-lube or carefully shave down the 'detent' on 'em a tiny bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

The horizontal cover over the neutral override lever is a door hinged at the bottom with plastic spring-prongs holding it closed; you may need a flat nylon pry-tool to insert in the thin gap at the top to pry without marring the trim above it.

Pull the lever out 90* and it'll stay in that 'neutral' position; pull it again and it'll spring back to the closed 'normal' position.

If you insist on doing this regularly you could easily fashion your own 'permanent' thin webbing pull-tabs to grab and pull the hatch open. If you want the plastic retaining prongs to release easier try some dry-lube or carefully shave down the 'detent' on 'em a tiny bit.
Thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed explanation

Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4

I noticed that too...

I was trying to figure out why they pulled the trim above the "door".

I'm pretty sure that this was the FIRST dead GEN14 Truck they had to move in & out of the shop so they likely pulled trim that didn't need to be pulled.

I didn't know that pulling the lever again re-engages the tranny so thanks for that piece of the puzzle.

I hope I never need it!

higgledy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Isn’t this feature an easy way for thieves to steal a truck?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Isn’t this feature an easy way for thieves to steal a truck?
Nefarious actors have always had means to easily defeat automatic transmission park-pawls. Even before electronics, most automatic tranny's had a reasonably accessible mechanical 'park-override' of some sort to facilitate the legitimate needs of roadside service.

If they want your vehicle, they're gonna get it; IMO this design makes that no more and no less 'easy', there's much more than just getting a vehicle in neutral involved in stealing it.
Sponsored