First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 GC-Trailhawk V8, '21 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Beatnik
I’ve heard a lot of CA dealers, not just Ford are doing that. I find it hard to believe that people would pay those prices as if you couldn’t find something reasonable a quick drive away. I had 3 dealers stick with MSRP even after I told them I had an offer for invoice and I live where I have 25 dealers within 50 miles.
Illinois. Never buy from any of them. I will go out of my way to Granger any time.
Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Ok, so let me play the devil's advocate ! I have read and heard that the reason some dealers are doing these outrageous markup's is to discourage people from buying these actual vehicles. These dealers are evidentially unable to get vehicles and they want some to show people. I also understand that people are greedy and will take advantage of a supply issue, ie, price gouging during and after a bad storm. There will always be people that will buy something no matter the cost just because they want it now. Just my 2 cents.

130 Ghost_Riders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB
Ok, so let me play the devil's advocate ! I have read and heard that the reason some dealers are doing these outrageous markup's is to discourage people from buying these actual vehicles. These dealers are evidentially unable to get vehicles and they want some to show people. I also understand that people are greedy and will take advantage of a supply issue, ie, price gouging during and after a bad storm. There will always be people that will buy something no matter the cost just because they want it now. Just my 2 cents.
If that’s the case I would suggest putting a note that the vehicle is for demo or something like that. if I saw a markup like that on a lot I’d turn around before even asking because I’d assume they would still try to gouge me on an order too.

MBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Road Glide Special, '12 Tacoma, '22 F150?
Occupation
IT
Glad to see someone else opine on the "price gouging."

There is a guy in Provo who does YT car reviews, and I saw one review of a Platinum F250 that had a similar handwritten sticker that read something like "Market Adjustment," and the markup was $20k. I think the dealer was Larry Miller in Provo. Look for the video on YT if you are a stickler for confirmation.

I ordered through Granger, although I am in Texas and had many dealer choices. The experience thus far has been good. The sale price was fair, considering the market described. I have not read a bad review on these guys. If anything, they seem overwhelmed with orders right now, and it might take a day or two to hear from them.

Sponsored

RoccoL

First Name
Rocco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer
Occupation
IT
So I went to Phil Waterford’s Manteca Ford in Manteca,Ca to see a F150 Tremor they had on the lot. Then I saw the markups they had on all trucks and I was stunned. For the tremor they wanted 20k over MSRP and the other F150s they wanted 15k over MSRP. I attached pictures. How do you guys feel about this? Have you seen any higher markups?
E1F185CE-09DA-4D34-BC7C-1AD9F2AE1140.jpeg
F9E3D6C6-F23B-443B-A142-B71D865ABC1E.jpeg
81778198-40A5-468F-8028-8980B610E807.jpeg
FF003D5C-FC9C-42D5-866E-2842FAEA3898.jpeg
That’s
Just to add to this a little bit, I originally went here when I was wanting to order my truck. I went in and no one took me seriously. Granted, I am 18 and went in right after I got off work and they probably thought I wasn’t serious. What they didn’t know is I’m an electrician apprentice and I was 100% serious about custom ordering a truck. When I asked to test drive a powerboost they had on the lot they told me they can’t let anyone test drive it because it was a higher trimmed truck. But after going back and fourth they finally let me. The test drive they took me on was about 3 blocks in a residential behind their dealer. It was a complete waste of time. While on the test drive I asked the salesman what motor he would pick if he was ti get a truck and he told me that they were all JUNK! When I asked about ordering they said I wouldn’t be able to get the truck until second half of 22. Keep in mind this was in August of 21. They also said they can’t lock in interest rates or rebates. And they wanted 10k override MSRP. All of this ended up being a LIE! I believe that they probably tell people this stuff so they buy the truck on the lot for 10k over. I ended up ordering ag Tom Hilliar Ford in Escalon,CA and I custom ordered my truck for 11k UNDER MSRP, locked in rebates and 0% interest for 72, and the truck took less than 3 months to arrive! David Hilliar is amazing and I would recommend him to anyone. He made a life long customer out of me!
never heard of 11k under MSRP in this market….

rado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
That’s

I got my lariat for ~9k under MSRP from granger a few months ago (67.5k lariat for 58k). I'd believe 11k under if they got the right incentives and higher trimmed truck.

Wedge

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Platinum PB
That’s

I’ll be paying about $9500 under MSRP (negotiated 500 under invoice, plus incentives, plus 3500 PCO because my 21
Was converted )

Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I’ll be paying about $9500 under MSRP (negotiated 500 under invoice, plus incentives, plus 3500 PCO because my 21
Was converted )
Wow, that's better than I got with my A plan, not by much with the incentive at the time, but still better.

mrgoalie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Platinum 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Just to add to this a little bit, I originally went here when I was wanting to order my truck. I went in and no one took me seriously. Granted, I am 18 and went in right after I got off work and they probably thought I wasn’t serious. What they didn’t know is I’m an electrician apprentice and I was 100% serious about custom ordering a truck. When I asked to test drive a powerboost they had on the lot they told me they can’t let anyone test drive it because it was a higher trimmed truck. But after going back and fourth they finally let me. The test drive they took me on was about 3 blocks in a residential behind their dealer. It was a complete waste of time. While on the test drive I asked the salesman what motor he would pick if he was ti get a truck and he told me that they were all JUNK! When I asked about ordering they said I wouldn’t be able to get the truck until second half of 22. Keep in mind this was in August of 21. They also said they can’t lock in interest rates or rebates. And they wanted 10k override MSRP. All of this ended up being a LIE! I believe that they probably tell people this stuff so they buy the truck on the lot for 10k over. I ended up ordering ag Tom Hilliar Ford in Escalon,CA and I custom ordered my truck for 11k UNDER MSRP, locked in rebates and 0% interest for 72, and the truck took less than 3 months to arrive! David Hilliar is amazing and I would recommend him to anyone. He made a life long customer out of me!
When I was 20 I ran into the same thing. Drove to a town 60 miles away to look at a car. Told me I could not afford it, would not let me drive or sit in it. Found a car closer to home & bought it. Really wanted to drive back to the first dealership and rub his nose in to but as an afterthought I didn't want to give that guy anymore of my time. Glad you found a dealership you can trust. I am lucky to have found a good one.

RoccoL

First Name
Rocco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer
Occupation
IT
I got my lariat for ~9k under MSRP from granger a few months ago (67.5k lariat for 58k). I'd believe 11k under if they got the right incentives and higher trimmed truck.
This is great news, thanks!

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
Here's my question. What are all the dealers, car companies, and banks going to do in a few years when the market corrects, and no one can trade their vehicle because they paid WAY over a real value. Houses are the same, you pay $100K over asking which is already $75k over real value.

Hope you want to own these vehicles and homes forever because I don't see how you sell them. If Ford was smart, they wouldn't let the dealers do that and play the long game and sell at MRSP not the short game of rip off our customers and sell them something they can never sell or trade.
Sponsored