Sponsored

Good jump starter for truck

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I have the problem where the battery can discharge to where it cannot start the engine. I have been looking at the jump starters on Amazon but now that they have outsourced the management of reviews their accuracy is not longer to be trusted. On jump starter for sale has more than 600 5-star reviews for December of 2022 and it was only listed starting in December so obviously bogus reviews.

The Clore ones seem to be good but their instructions state that it should be stored at 50 degrees or higher which precludes keeping it in the truck. It may be better to invest in some extra long jumper cables.

Curious as to what others are doing. Thanks
Sponsored

LilCorky61

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired, currently IT

TheCleaner

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 eco boost
Occupation
Ex Cleaner
A mechanic friend told me "you'll find they are never charge up when you go to use them". They take a lot of care to always be ready. Keep jumper cables in the truck and get the dealer to test and replace your battery. I'm on my second one in a year because of Ford problems that cause it to discharge when door sensors don't turn off.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i have the NOCO ones found at ford accessories
got 2 of them and hard cases with points :love: :love:
i would have to go outside see which ones, but it took 24 hrs to charge them up and supposed to last a year full charged????

Sponsored

WestlakeHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 (on order)
I have a NoCo charger as well and has been well worth it given my Raptor has battery management issues as well. So much easier than carrying jumper cables and flagging someone down to help use their vehicle to jump your truck.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I have this and has never failed me. Unlike lithium jumper packs the Autowit is a supercap jump starter, so you never have to keep it charged. Even if the source battery voltage is as low as 7 volts it will charge the capacitors and provide up to 800 amps of power for starting. Takes about 3-7 minutes to charge the caps then connect it to the battery and crank. When done toss it in the storage bin and ignore it until the next time you need it.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat V8
Occupation
Happily Retired - USMÇ
I used my Ford Points to get the NOCO from ford parts. Works great. I just recently used it last week to repeatedly jump start my portable generator when we lost power last week. Amazon costs about $100.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
OP
OP

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Lots of reported problems with the NOCO units and a lack of customer support. The capacitor based jump starter is not going to work with a near dead battery as is happening with the F-150 2021-2022 trucks.

What is good about the Hulkman (in theory) is that its lithium-ion battery pack is going to self discharge at a much slower rate than a jump starter with a lead acid battery. I have 12V lithium rechargeable batteries that have 95+ percent SOC after 90 days.

Jglew82

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Occupation
Tech lead
Lots of good choices.

I ended up getting the GooLoo.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Lots of reported problems with the NOCO units and a lack of customer support. The capacitor based jump starter is not going to work with a near dead battery as is happening with the F-150 2021-2022 trucks.

What is good about the Hulkman (in theory) is that its lithium-ion battery pack is going to self discharge at a much slower rate than a jump starter with a lead acid battery. I have 12V lithium rechargeable batteries that have 95+ percent SOC after 90 days.
That's the beauty of the capacitor jump starter, it does work on a near dead battery. The wife's car battery went dead a few months back while we were out. No start condition with barely enough power to bring up the infotainment screen. My wife was positive it wouldn't work since the car's battery was almost dead. I plugged in the unit it showed 8.2v source. Waited 15 minutes and the unit was at full charge ready state. To her surprise I able to start the car with it. The unit is designed to charge the caps to full capacity even off a 5v USB inlet like from a USB powerbank.

Specs on the voltages and capacitor charge times.
  • Max. Voltage: 15.5V
  • Peak Current: 800A
  • Working/Storage Temperature: -40℃-70℃
  • SuperCap 2 Charging Time
  • Input Voltage 12V: <3 mins
  • Input Voltage 6V: <20 mins
  • Input Voltage 5V (USB): <30 min
I have two, and keep one in both my truck and her car along with a 42800 mAh solar battery bank just in case the 12v system is completely dead.

Last edited:

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
I forget what brand of battery jump start I have. All I know is that it still works after three years. USed it to help out many times.

I'll recommend a battery and alternator tester. I use a Foxwell 705. Not the cheapest at close to $100 when I got it but definitely useful with all the stuff I have.....
Sponsored