First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
My Powerboost transitions from electric drive to ICE so smoothly that I thought Ford must be using the hybrid drive motor as a starter. Nope, the specs note a 'belt-driven starter used for the starter motor and water pump.' OK, so where is it? The drawings of the bare chassis indicate it is engine-mounted on the driver's side somewhere, but it sure is hard to find. Clues anyone? Starter AND water pump? Odd combination.
Sponsored

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
My Powerboost transitions from electric drive to ICE so smoothly that I thought Ford must be using the hybrid drive motor as a starter. Nope, the specs note a 'belt-driven starter used for the starter motor and water pump.' OK, so where is it? The drawings of the bare chassis indicate it is engine-mounted on the driver's side somewhere, but it sure is hard to find. Clues anyone? Starter AND water pump? Odd combination.
Man, I would really love for someone who knows to answer this one. I'm a bit mystified by the "Belt driven starter is used for water pump and belt starter motor" in Ford's marketing about the PB. Are the "belt driven starter" and "belt starter motor" different components, or the same thing? Does the water pump operate in EV mode?

PFD664

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Crew 502a Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
On one of Ford‘s pictures of the 3.5 Powerboost motor I noticed the alternator looked really large, like fire truck alternator size, so maybe it does double duty as a starter/generator ? Maybe someone who has some intimate knowledge on this could clarify.
Ford F-150 Belt-driven starter? E3961245-F18C-419A-AEB3-4497E2CB2304

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
On one of Ford‘s pictures of the 3.5 Powerboost motor I noticed the alternator looked really large, like fire truck alternator size, so maybe it does double duty as a starter/generator ? Maybe someone who has some intimate knowledge on this could clarify.
E3961245-F18C-419A-AEB3-4497E2CB2304.png
In my background of aviation, starter/generators are very common....could be what they did

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Builder
Why would there need to be such a large starter/generator with the electric motor in the hybrid transmission? I assumed all the charging was done with that component...

Sponsored

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Builder

Attachments

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
It's not that weird when you consider that the marketing guys writing the ad copy have no idea what they're talking about.

Whoever's job it was to take notes when the engineering department did their presentation must have zoned out when it came time to discuss the belt driven starter/alternator.

Ford F-150 Belt-driven starter? 6C58CB28-3E1E-41D3-886A-252FF20962F3

The guys that put together the brochures have as much to do with the trucks as the people that made the box art for Atari had to do with the games.

Ford F-150 Belt-driven starter? 6F7A768A-A8E5-4AA2-B17D-776972295425

Ford F-150 Belt-driven starter? 2FF5B9E7-72FC-4831-A9F3-6B235E697F6D

Which is why there's often some disconnect or bad translation in the promotional material. It's also why the salesmen that the manufacturers have doing press conferences sometimes just pull shit out of their ass when they don't have an answer for something. Luckily, Ford is pretty good with having the actual dudes involved with development at some of the press junkets.

PFD664

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Crew 502a Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Hmmm, so basically we have 3 means of starting the truck…”Pedaldude” thanks for that link, interesting clips on the replacement prices, I’m definitely getting the Ford ESP Premium Care…

Sponsored

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Builder
It would be interesting to know under what circumstances each of the three engine-starting strategies are used.

As for the larger starter generator, if all models have this size unit, maybe that's how they all provide 2kW power at the plugs, even the non-PB models.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...if all models have this size unit, maybe that's how they all provide 2kW power at the plugs, even the non-PB models.
One way to find out is to get the VIN of a truck with Propower and see which alternator shows up in Parts.Ford.Com, the diagrams and descriptions will probably improve over time. I have been having trouble looking things up for the 2021s compared with when I was looking for a used truck.

Hmmm, so basically we have 3 means of starting the truck…”Pedaldude” thanks for that link, interesting clips on the replacement prices, I’m definitely getting the Ford ESP Premium Care…
You are welcome! The three different starters also could explain why people are noticing varying degrees of smoothness or lack thereof when it comes to the ICE segment engagement. The parts prices might come down as people start actually needing parts. The core price for the alternator/starter is pretty
low, so the part can't be that special.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
The diagram I posted is showing the mechanism that does the hybrid start/stop while on the move. There's no physical starter that's engaged, which is why you don't hear a starter sound.

I imagine that the other starters are for regular engine startup from off, or a backup starter that uses the 12v battery and not the HEV battery.

Last edited:

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
The diagram I posted is showing the mechanism that does the hybrid start/stop while on the move. There's no physical starter that's engaged, which is why you don't hear a starter sound.
I've had my Powerboost for 4 days now and was sitting in it tonight for quite awhile in accessory mode. I hit the button again to back it out of the garage, and it cranked over the gasoline motor and sounded just like my 2020 3.5 ecoboost cranking. It was odd because I hadn't heard it ever crank up to this point, so I shut it off and started it again, and once again it cranked over to start. I drove it around and charged it back up and now its back to silent electric "ready".
Sponsored