Sponsored

going rate for Sirius subscription?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I am really surprised for those that think SXM doesn't sound good. Maybe y'all are expecting sound studio 128 channel FLAC 24bit or something, but SXM and Pandora sound as good as CD in a car.
Go back to back with any streaming service and you'll see it's not even close. Hell FM radio blows it out of the water. They run subpar bit rates and despite advancements in compression tech since they launched, be it negligence or incompetence, they've done everything but work on their quality. Instead they've decided to make their 'additions' into IP data and there are better options in that realm.
Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Go back to back with any streaming service and you'll see it's not even close. Hell FM radio blows it out of the water. They run subpar bit rates and despite advancements in compression tech since they launched, be it negligence or incompetence, they've done everything but work on their quality. Instead they've decided to make their 'additions' into IP data and there are better options in that realm.
I'm sure you're right but I've checked and can't tell the difference. With the basic stereo, highway noise, and 55 year old ears (with hearing loss and tinnitus from many concerts and industrial noise) I'm happy with just about any source. As long as it doesn't have autotune voices lol.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Back in December 2022 I got an offer for $4..99 a month for 12 mos. plus tax. I passed on it because I refused to pay sales tax on something nontangible. Yes, I pay tax taxes on landline, satellite tv, cell, etc but I'm old and grumpy & refuse to pay sales tax on satellite radio service. I may give in eventually because AM/FM is meh. Still wished we could've gotten a CD player with our B&Os.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
I have a sister who pays full price because she's one of those people who won't get on the phone and threaten to cancel.
Yeah a friend of mine has been paying full price for over 10 years now. I told him how to get it for $5 a month but he just won’t do it. Crazy.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I am really surprised for those that think SXM doesn't sound good. Maybe y'all are expecting sound studio 128 channel FLAC 24bit or something, but SXM and Pandora sound as good as CD in a car.
Quality varies greatly for reasons unknown to me.

Sounded like an underwater speaker in my 2011. Sounds only slightly better in my 2021. My uncle's older GM vehicle it sounds as good as FM. We listen to same stations. He's a paid subscriber but that shouldn't matter. The other annoying thing is if you listen long enough most the stations run the same 4-6 hour loop. Radio does the same thing because they don't want to pay for more music rights.

Having said that I'm giving some thought to it when trial runs out. If I get it for $5 or less. :)

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Quality varies greatly for reasons unknown to me.

Sounded like an underwater speaker in my 2011. Sounds only slightly better in my 2021. My uncle's older GM vehicle it sounds as good as FM. We listen to same stations. He's a paid subscriber but that shouldn't matter. The other annoying thing is if you listen long enough most the stations run the same 4-6 hour loop. Radio does the same thing because they don't want to pay for more music rights.

Having said that I'm giving some thought to it when trial runs out. If I get it for $5 or less. :)
I listen to live concerts so I don't have that loop problem. I've had SXM for 19 years and have never had it sound bad or as bad as FM. It has always been CD quality. Sucks for all you guys with bad experiences. Seriously, feel bad y'all have had poor experience.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I call it being lazy. Retaining legacy support for hardware from the dawn of satellite radio means they can't use any modern compression. Much of which now would give lossless audio on same bandwidth. You'd think with enough suckers paying full price they would have money to invest in new tech and satellites. 🤷‍♂️

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I call it being lazy. Retaining legacy support for hardware from the dawn of satellite radio means they can't use any modern compression. Much of which now would give lossless audio on same bandwidth. You'd think with enough suckers paying full price they would have money to invest in new tech and satellites. 🤷‍♂️
I don't doubt it's something along those lines. They should have started a migration 6 years or so ago when new compression allowed for a better experience. They give free trials in millions of automobiles each year and the best part about that is that most of the vehicles sold in the last 6 years or so should be able to get an update to allow for better compression. Had they started many years back with multimodal hardware they could have started migrating over by now. Yes, some people with 10 year old hardware would have to 'upgrade', but these things are relatively inexpensive and I couldn't see someone really having a leg to stand on in the bitching department by getting substantially better quality to upgrade their tuners.

The lack of strategy on their part many years back in making multimodal receivers is what's been digging their grave deeper and deeper. I mean I haven't even seen them poll their customers on it. I was once a customer, but the quality is just shit compared to similarly priced alternatives. I'm working on making a little PC for the truck that'd allow much better internet access and thus limitless 'free' options by using the truck's hotspot which I'm more than happy to pay $15/mo for completely unlimited data. By doing so I'll have access to just about every bit of content out there completely free.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am not up on streaming music, so I have some questions, if someone can take the time to answer. I have Amazon Prime for TV at home and along with it comes Music, all I need is to down load the app. Is there anything I need to have enabled in my truck to play the music? Do I need Ford's Connect enabled? Will this streaming music will be against my data?

Thank you in advance

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
It would use your data.

Amazon has placed annoying limits on the free version of the music app.
I mainly use it to listen to music I bought on CDs that get automatically added to my "library."
Paid version is more,money than Sirius but you get access to pretty much every album you can think of old and new. The day the album releases on CD you can listen to it on the app.
Usually around Black Friday they run a promo for $1 to get 3 months of the paid upgrade.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It would use your data.

Amazon has placed annoying limits on the free version of the music app.
I mainly use it to listen to music I bought on CDs that get automatically added to my "library."
Paid version is more,money than Sirius but you get access to pretty much every album you can think of old and new. The day the album releases on CD you can listen to it on the app.
Usually around Black Friday they run a promo for $1 to get 3 months of the paid upgrade.
Thanks - don't think I will use it.

nrmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost 302A; 2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
I pay $43/mth for a family plan with two vehicles and mobile devices.

Deerock

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum FX4 w/Powerboost, Azure Gray
Occupation
Magazine Publisher/Photogapher
I just say I'm cancelling and they always come down to 6 or 7 a month for the next year. but I have to pay attention as it will renew at $23 a month at the end of said year. I do like it, but if they get more expensive than that, I'll do without. That's with my wife's Mini Cooper '22. Then I did it with my '23 F150 when the 3 month trial was up and got the same price. Mobile app too.
Sponsored