Going power-boost over super duty here’s why

Hotdogoil

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150
This is more of just throwing it out there to get folks thoughts on why I’m going powerboost. I currently have a 2021 king ranch powerboost being made.....I’m a sucker for the interior. I pull a 7k trailer in the summer with my 17 coyote. It does good but likes to go all over the map with downshifting. Outside of the summer it will be trailer less. As we all know these trucks are expensive and at 77k with all the options I could have easily gotten a super duty...but here’s what sold me. The 7.2kw generator is huge. The ability to charge anything and stop with the trailer but still have it going is awesome. The fuel economy is also good but to be honest the torque is what I like. Lastly I just like the ride of the f-150 better. We may upgrade to a 9.5k trailer but I still feel confident with the f-150. Overall I just hope I’m making a good choice. Give me your thoughts
Sponsored

Poalpo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I test drove 2021 f250/350s this weekend, after which i decided that i’m 100% going with f150, no doubt left. Super duty doesn’t drive as well, it really feels like a truck, every bump is registered, it gets thrown side to side. even with the platinum trim and all the niceties can’t escape the stiffness. Also, my wife felt like its interior was 10 years behind where it should be, yet she loved 2021 f150 platinum one.

i still admire the beefy exterior look of super duty, it’s raised height. it’s on another level. But to be honest with myself, i won’t need to tow a 20,000 pound trailer or load the bed with 3000 pounds of brick and just getting it for the look that i enjoy makes little practical sense.

And i agree with you on the generator. I feel like they will figure out a way to throw it into SD 2023 model somehow. All its got now is a 400 watt outlet, no way for long…

I think in your case, if you’re going to tow 9,500 daily, SD might be worth considering. But just for occasional summer trips, f150 should be fine.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
For what it's worth, the 2022 Super Duty trucks will have some of the interior upgrades of the current F150s, with the large center screen but not the digital dash. And it won't be long before you can order a 2022. I have an F150 and like it, but if the interior is a big factor for you they will be addressing it in 2022.

2022-ford-super-duty-updates-revealed

Poalpo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
For what it's worth, the 2022 Super Duty trucks will have some of the interior upgrades of the current F150s, with the large center screen but not the digital dash. And it won't be long before you can order a 2022. I have an F150 and like it, but if the interior is a big factor for you they will be addressing it in 2022.

2022-ford-super-duty-updates-revealed
At this time some 2022 SDs are actually already showing up at the dealerships. The only real update to its interior is a large 12 inch screen and some control knobs around it. Nothing else. Everything else looks rather outdated. Exterior they just added a new color. Maybe in 2023 they will update it to look more modern the way of f150 interior.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
My buddy was here a couple weeks ago. He absolutely loved my PowerBoost.

If he was in the market and didn't need to pull horse trailers, he'd trade his F-350 in a heartbeat. But, his needs are different.

kmayer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 F250
Occupation
Web Design Agency
I completely agree. I’m going from a F250 Powerstroke Diesel to the F150 power boost for all the reasons you mentioned. If all I was doing was towing a trailer with it, might be a different conclusion. But this is my daily driver and summer tow vehicle for a 6000 lbs airstream. Everything is a compromise, and just need to figure out what works for you

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I am a "full-timer" in an RV and have 3 other RV's for traveling in, depending on what the mission is. (people, toys, boondocking...)

I love my new Powerboost for all the obvious reasons, especially the electrical grid on wheels.

I don't see you struggling with a 7000lb load as long as you get everything dialed in nicely. (oem shocks and tires on that fully loaded KingRanch are marginal for 800lbs+ sitting on the hitch)

9000lbs is on the other side of what I would be willing to tow in RV format. Maybe a flatbed with low out of the wind load would be comfortable enough, but barely.

Awesome trucks though, regardless.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Just FYI.

I’ve towed a 38ft bumper pull TT weighing in at 8000lbs with at least 2000+ lbs of cargo loaded in the camper/bed of truck all over the country with a 2007 F-150 Lariat 4x4 back in 08-09.

Not saying that I just put my pinky on the steering wheel and set the cruise at 70. Because every time an 18-wheeler passed, you had to steer multiple directions in perfect timing to stay your lane, but I’m still alive and never crashed. Lol.

I plan to tow 11,000 lbs in travel trailer configuration, but I work on the road, and only tow between jobs, so I may tow the TT a small percentage of time, and drive the truck working all day in between.

Ride quality allowing me to do some paperwork on the road, 7.2kw gen, blue cruise allowing a lot more paperwork to be done on the road, and NON-towing MPG are the reasons why I’m not in a SD 250.

Watch these 2 videos if you have any reservations. They towed 10,000lbs with PB through the Ike Gauntlet just a few seconds behind the GM HD Truck they compared against. They towed at REAL highway speeds, not that 45-55MPH junk.

Anyone thinking of getting PB vs SD should check these videos out. If you watch the first one, please follow through and watch the 2nd video explaining what Ford had to say about it all. Which, if you know anything about the SAE test for towing capacity, you would know the towing rating is calculated towing at 45MPH using a much lighter gauntlet than the one TFTL used.

Basically Ford said, well you were driving the posted speed limit and through a much tougher test course than the manufacturers use, at a much higher speed than the manufacturers use.

Ford F-150 Hybrid vs Chevy HD Diesel Ike Gauntlet:

Here Is Why My Ford F-150 Hybrid Overheated on the Ike Gauntlet!:

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
With all due respect that 10,000lb load didn't have anywhere near the frontal "parachute" load of an RV. And if it's the video of Andre's Powerboost, it went into power reduction mode to protect itself as it overheated.

Nobody is more pro-Ecoboost/Powerboost towing, but it's a 1/2 ton chassis and little to be done about that.

Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
With all due respect that 10,000lb load didn't have anywhere near the frontal "parachute" load of an RV. And if it's the video of Andre's Powerboost, it went into power reduction mode to protect itself as it overheated.

Nobody is more pro-Ecoboost/Powerboost towing, but it's a 1/2 ton chassis and little to be done about that.
Oh no. I agree 100%, towing a wind block is different from towing a heavy load with drag coefficient of the new Corvette.

I once owned an enclosed race vehicle trailer 22 feet, double axle with the heavier tonnage axles, and was the tall option to fit a 4x4 truck through the back opening.

The trailer had crazy tongue weight unloaded. If it was empty, the wind drag alone at 75 would cause such negative tongue weight that it would start whipping bad. And it got the same economy loaded with 10,000lbs or unloaded. So I know exactly what you mean. It was as tall as a class A Gas RV, and completely flat front with no V.

I was just saying with my prior post that I’ve towed super extra overloaded many miles with F150s since I was young, and this new PB/camper rig will be one of the first that has ever been within the manufacturers towing / payload spec. I expect it to do much better than all other travel trailers and trucks that I have driven/towed before it. I think that the fact that the truck can do what TFTL did with 10,000 lbs on the Ike Gauntlet, means that it’s going to tow most travel trailers within the tow rating fairly decent.

Cant wait till I tow a camper that is under my tow rating. Lol.

The videos are impressive, they weren’t driving slow for sure, and I’m not sure if many other gas engines can compete with what I saw on that video. They were pushing the truck hard, and most owners would pull that same load slower through a gauntlet of that magnitude. They were maintaining speed limit the entire time because they were basically racing it against a HD truck “track time ET”.

The HD won of course, but to me, that’s like saying your Corvette beat an Ecoboost mustang in a drag race. You can’t compare the two vehicles. And Ford has this truck set up to keep on towing in the overheated mode by reducing power vs. the GM 1500 Gas equivalent which basically failed keep the tranny cool (TFTL YouTube has that video too).

This video truck test is more like saying my Ecoboost Mustang hung with a new corvette through the entire quarter mile, and only beat me by a half car link at Finish.

Just in case anyone doesn’t understand my analogy using the cars to the trucks, the Ford Mustang is the Powerboost and the Corvette is the GM HD Truck. Lol. Two vehicles which aren’t matched for comparison, but ran a close race anyway. Impressive as heck if you ask me.

Disclaimer:
Don’t tow over the max tow rating of your truck. I’ve been lucky, and I might know a couple things about towing. Just check out YouTube search dash cam crash and you’ll probably see a few offender’s rigs get trashed and a few properly loaded folks crash too.

Towing is like a box of chocolates, (With mouth full of candy chewing) you never know what you gonna get. Towing overloaded is worse. Lol.

OP
OP

Hotdogoil

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150
I test drove 2021 f250/350s this weekend, after which i decided that i’m 100% going with f150, no doubt left. Super duty doesn’t drive as well, it really feels like a truck, every bump is registered, it gets thrown side to side. even with the platinum trim and all the niceties can’t escape the stiffness. Also, my wife felt like its interior was 10 years behind where it should be, yet she loved 2021 f150 platinum one.

i still admire the beefy exterior look of super duty, it’s raised height. it’s on another level. But to be honest with myself, i won’t need to tow a 20,000 pound trailer or load the bed with 3000 pounds of brick and just getting it for the look that i enjoy makes little practical sense.

And i agree with you on the generator. I feel like they will figure out a way to throw it into SD 2023 model somehow. All its got now is a 400 watt outlet, no way for long…

I think in your case, if you’re going to tow 9,500 daily, SD might be worth considering. But just for occasional summer trips, f150 should be fine.
Yea I don’t pull that much weigh often so it should be good

OP
OP

Hotdogoil

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150
I completely agree. I’m going from a F250 Powerstroke Diesel to the F150 power boost for all the reasons you mentioned. If all I was doing was towing a trailer with it, might be a different conclusion. But this is my daily driver and summer tow vehicle for a 6000 lbs airstream. Everything is a compromise, and just need to figure out what works for you
Totally. Super duty have there place just not for what I need

OP
OP

Hotdogoil

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150
Just FYI.

I’ve towed a 38ft bumper pull TT weighing in at 8000lbs with at least 2000+ lbs of cargo loaded in the camper/bed of truck all over the country with a 2007 F-150 Lariat 4x4 back in 08-09.

Not saying that I just put my pinky on the steering wheel and set the cruise at 70. Because every time an 18-wheeler passed, you had to steer multiple directions in perfect timing to stay your lane, but I’m still alive and never crashed. Lol.

I plan to tow 11,000 lbs in travel trailer configuration, but I work on the road, and only tow between jobs, so I may tow the TT a small percentage of time, and drive the truck working all day in between.

Ride quality allowing me to do some paperwork on the road, 7.2kw gen, blue cruise allowing a lot more paperwork to be done on the road, and NON-towing MPG are the reasons why I’m not in a SD 250.

Watch these 2 videos if you have any reservations. They towed 10,000lbs with PB through the Ike Gauntlet just a few seconds behind the GM HD Truck they compared against. They towed at REAL highway speeds, not that 45-55MPH junk.

Anyone thinking of getting PB vs SD should check these videos out. If you watch the first one, please follow through and watch the 2nd video explaining what Ford had to say about it all. Which, if you know anything about the SAE test for towing capacity, you would know the towing rating is calculated towing at 45MPH using a much lighter gauntlet than the one TFTL used.

Basically Ford said, well you were driving the posted speed limit and through a much tougher test course than the manufacturers use, at a much higher speed than the manufacturers use.

Ford F-150 Hybrid vs Chevy HD Diesel Ike Gauntlet:

Here Is Why My Ford F-150 Hybrid Overheated on the Ike Gauntlet!:
Great post thanks

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
You guys towing more than 8000lbs real weight with a 150 Powerboost or 5.0 are gonna be disappointed…….just sayin’.
The 150 has the guts but not the “ass”. Better reconsider the Super Duty platform.
Sponsored