Sponsored

2022 Power Boost Intercooler Upgrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Power Boost
2022 Now in production and have been doing research on minimalistic power upgrades the last few months. The intercooler swap seems like a no-brainier but there is not a ton of feedback on this. Looking for feedback/experience and preferred Intercooler MFG's i.e. CVF, Whipple, Titan or others. Which has the best plug and play abilities and better power increases. Also blow off valve and any other integral turbo upgrades while doing this one. TIA!
Sponsored

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
What would changing the inter cooler do for me ?

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
2022 Now in production and have been doing research on minimalistic power upgrades the last few months. The intercooler swap seems like a no-brainier but there is not a ton of feedback on this. Looking for feedback/experience and preferred Intercooler MFG's i.e. CVF, Whipple, Titan or others. Which has the best plug and play abilities and better power increases. Also blow off valve and any other integral turbo upgrades while doing this one. TIA!
Is your truck tuned? FWIW, I did an intercooler upgrade on a Golf TDI and w/o tuning and other changes, performance bump is minimal.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Power Boost
Is your truck tuned? FWIW, I did an intercooler upgrade on a Golf TDI and w/o tuning and other changes, performance bump is minimal.
I have not received the truck yet should ship in another week. From what I have read the 2022 PB comes from the factory like a tuned truck from a few years ago. If you do some searching on YouTube there are a few videos that they had on a Dyno to prove performance of the upgraded intercooler. Numbers were anywhere from 40-60HP gains on the performance. Well worth the money if accurate in my opinion.

Sponsored

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
If accurate that is an amazing bump.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
How much it helps you is going to be dependant on where you live and how you drive. Don't live in the Southern US, actual gains are going to be lower for DD trips, and unlikely to change anything. Same thing if you're rarely getting into boost as you wouldn't be heat soaking the intercooler.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Without a tune to go with it, I dont think you'll get much performance improvement (if at all) over stock. However, an upgraded intercooler will certainly give you *more consistent* performance when putting a consistent workload on the motor (ex. towing).

An upgraded intercooler is primarily going to keep the turbo heat from *negatively* impacting your existing performance when temps are up.

That all said, I also plan to upgrade the intercooler on my PB for future towing reasons. Eager to see some feedback from those who've upgraded their PBs.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
I have not received the truck yet should ship in another week. From what I have read the 2022 PB comes from the factory like a tuned truck from a few years ago. If you do some searching on YouTube there are a few videos that they had on a Dyno to prove performance of the upgraded intercooler. Numbers were anywhere from 40-60HP gains on the performance. Well worth the money if accurate in my opinion.
Livernois has video of a PB with upgraded intercooler on YouTube but, they also had a tune. Sure it wasn't the Livernois video? They showed some solid 40-60hp gains on dyno with their tune.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
3.5 Ecoboost has now been around for more than a decade. Lots of real world data shared with knowledgeable owners.
The oem cac is built to a cost point, so yea, the aftermarket upgrade is a worthy option.

Having said that, as mentioned a couple of times previously, an untuned Ecoboost would not likely experience an appreciable increase in power, but it would very likely benefit from not LOSING power from being heatsoaked as easily and having timing being pulled as a result.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I would be curious to see how much more flow/cooling the upgraded intercooler produces with the active louver system in place. Unless you are really in the gas (spooling), those intercooler louvers are going to stay closed. It is my understanding that mpg loss is noticeable without the louvers.

Between normal cruising, engine and electric, the majority of owners are probably not going to see any marked difference. I do agree with upgrading the intercooler, and replacing the plastic blow-off valve, if you are going to be regularly towing or romping on it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I removed the louvers a few tanks ago and did not notice any change in fuel mileage at all. Or at least the difference was well within the variance of one day's commute and the next.
But on a Powerboost I also didn't notice a substantial change in IAT2 temps. But it seems that is more a result of the repeated EV events which leave the Intercooler inoperative while at the same time the heated engine block cooking the stale air captured in the intake plenum.

The louver removal does cool the IAT2's a bit quicker, once the ICE is re-engaged. So there's that. But the overall drop in temp was only about 5F from what I witnessed.

Still, I'm not putting the louvers back in.

bowling

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
why bother? 430 horsepower and 569 lbf.ft torque is more than enough.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Power Boost
why bother? 430 horsepower and 569 lbf.ft torque is more than enough.
Why not is more the question.
If you can add 20-50HP with little investment and or effort why wouldn't you? Just seems like low hanging fruit not to mention the benefit of the upgraded components.
Sponsored