12PSI

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Yes there was an error/warning

I just can’t get my get the pa on the bracket.

did you install the pa on the bracket before putting it back?
Yes I left PA attached to mounting bracket. Also plugged in cable before inserting it into open area. The hole under square hole is one of the mounting hole for PA bra ket. I used just that hole to secure PA it feels pretty solid after tightening bolt. I was going to zip tie as well but felt it was secured enough.
Ford F-150 2022 Power Boost Intercooler Upgrade 1664213113353
Sponsored

12PSI

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I left PA attached to mounting bracket. Also plugged in cable before inserting it into open area. The hole under square hole is one of the mounting hole for PA bra ket. I used just that hole to secure PA it feels pretty solid after tightening bolt. I was going to zip tie as well but felt it was secured enough.
1664213113353.png
I can remove mine after work and reinstall with recording. It's kinda hard to explain but worked out perfectly once it's in.

This thing is like a rocket ship out of the box! Ive launched it a couple of times just cause it’s so much fun. That said most of the time I drive to keep the turbos nice and quiet and I’m averaging well over 25mpg.
I'm averaging 18mpg combined driving conservatively. How did ford get 24mpg in city driving is beyond me. Electric motor rarely kicks in.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I don’t know but I drive about 50/50 freeway and back roads. On the back roads the engine kicks off a fair amount for me. That’s where I get the best mpg. Today I left Costco anfter filling up drove 22 miles annd got 28.9mpg. It’s definitely possible. And when I know I will need to slow down I’ve learned a quick tap of the brake pedal will cause the engine to shut. I do drive in eco most of the time.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
This thing is like a rocket ship out of the box! Ive launched it a couple of times just cause it’s so much fun. That said most of the time I drive to keep the turbos nice and quiet and I’m averaging well over 25mpg.
I've had several Ecoboost F150's and was an immediate fan from the first one I test drove. Which amazed me because I was refusing to even consider one as my long-time salesman urged me to just TRY it.

Fast forward to the Powerboost....
Like you stated, it's THE King of the Ecoboost hill, in my opinion. Insane performance for an OEM tune too.

Yet, as you mentioned, I'm amazed at how well I can scoot without tapping it for boost. I was NOT expecting that.

Mrvp83

First Name
Viet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Fx4
Occupation
Constrution
1664213113353.png
Ya I’ll try again later it was getting late last night. The intercooler was the easiest thing to do. But that PA is a pain

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Well just found out Livernois won't ship the tuner to California.
What the hell is wrong with California?
Having spent more than a decade there including parts of my youth, the simpler question to answer is "what's right with kalifornia", the answer is not much.

I've been waiting to find some results on tuning the PB. As for the stock power numbers being enough, you can never have enough power! You can always use less by reducing throttle, but you can only push the throttle so far before there's no more on tap.

Someone give Banks a PB for them to play with so they can get the derringer working on it.

Mrvp83

First Name
Viet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Fx4
Occupation
Constrution
How’s your
Mpg after getting the intercooler in?

I’m noticing it’s taking longer for the numbers to go down on the gages

I can remove mine after work and reinstall with recording. It's kinda hard to explain but worked out perfectly once it's in.

I'm averaging 18mpg combined driving conservatively. How did ford get 24mpg in city driving is beyond me. Electric motor rarely kicks in.

12PSI

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How’s your
Mpg after getting the intercooler in?

I’m noticing it’s taking longer for the numbers to go down on the gages
MPG is about the same maybe a bit better with new intercooler. I was averaging 17mpg before, now it's 18. Normal mode for both. If I stop trying to make the pssshh sound maybe I'll get 19mpg. I didn't take note of how quick mpg goes up or down.

that1guy

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Cloud Engineer
Hey is the placement on these the same as stock? I am looking into a hidden winch mount and they seem to require a new off-road intercooler that opens up some room for high clearance bumpers (or in my case, a winch mount). I was looking at SVC intercooler but they are pretty spendy.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I'm installing mine right now and there's no way to get intercooler in without removing PA and mounting bracket. Not sure if wire is long enough to remount somewhere else. I'm leaving unplugged for now.
The Livernois intercooler will clear the Powerboost speaker and you don’t need to remove that rectangular plastic trim piece. Not trying to be a fanboi but it’s a legit drop in. I don’t know of another intercooler where that’s the case.

it also looks to replace that sharp angle 45* to a smooth radius. I would imagine a portion of gains from pipes would be smoothing that turn.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The problem with IAT2 temps with the Powerboost is that regardless of the intercooler, IF the truck is going to be driven in EV mode, much at all, the IAT2 (just before the intake valves) is relatively higher than ambients much more than an ICE only 3.5 Ecoboost.

Those EV events, absent of fresh air being continuously pumped through the intake tract, allow the truck to heat soak. Especially near the IAT2 sensor? I assume that's located in the intake manifold?

I drove Gen2 (2018) 3.5 Ecoboost for several years. The IAT2 was significantly lower even with an OEM intercooler.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I am considering these two intercoolers

the Livernois for absolute drop in. Easy install. No removing shrouds or worrying about the speaker.
Livernois likely developed their tune with this intercooler and I run a Livernois tune. Last point is not a big deal tho. It’s priced considerable lower than others. Their 11 second Powerboost proves it cools and flows well enough. Def not a dud.

if I am going to move the speaker and shroud, I will do a Wagner. They are tube and fin like the stock unit. So it will have the same characteristic as stock, but better. Same traits. This makes me feel more comfortable that fords testing max tow in extreme conditions would still apply. The intercooler reacts heats recovers the same as oem but is just better.

thoughts?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
I've yet to see a 3.5 intercooler provide ANY metered data at all. I do believe they've placed probes appropriately but they fail to deliver results enough to sway someone one way or another and as such are absent in marketing. To be clear I'm talking about road tested results.

If anyone comes across some road-tested results showing temp deltas pre-post intercooler, I'd love to see it (as in ambient temp, intercooler inlet temp + outlet temps -- not interested in IAT temps, just the dope on the intercooler cooler vs factory).

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I hear ya. There are a few decent posts here and there with temps plotted in matlab but prob not setup how you stated.

I am resorting to mostly dumbed view: fast list 1/4 mile results. Tuned trucks with Intercoolers listed seem to be easily picking up over a quarter second. I believe Livernois Wagner Mishimoto are there.
I mean, these improved times are a result of removing heat into the engine. That to me is a seriously good thing.

My thought is Wagner is the same price or cheaper than Mishimoto Cobb Garrett. Wagner is the only tube and fin available.
that is just making sense as every oem unit is tube and fin which weights less on the nose, and do better in saturation than bar and plate.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The poor man's approach to collecting the comparisons data could be the mentioned IAT2 values, right?

And doesn't the Raptor put a fan on the intercooler to aid in keeping it from hot soaking when the truck isn't up to speed?
Sponsored