Glare free lights acting funny

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
I‘m happy to be a test mule if anyone thinks they have identified something, but I think it’s a software change at this point and not an as-built issue. New normal
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
If I remember I'll save my Canadian asbuilt before and after to see what happens just out of curiosity. Could just be a software change as mentioned though.

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
I did notice the new IPMA has the the Highbeam config with ADB and Glare Free seperate.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Antho,

What has changed is the “ramp up” when you cross that 35 mph threshold and the brights come on initially or after going out completely for street lights etc.. Previously that was a smooth ramp to ON, now it’s instant. All other functionality, ramping after a “squint” for traffic still works. The latest IPMA update seems to be the culprit. It also seems to set 706-34-01 to xx00-0 for some (me included) which creates some truly crazy behavior until that is fixed.

I have poked around and found no why to restore the initial ramp. I have basically come to the conclusion that is gone now
IPMA 706-01-01 xxxx-xxx?-xx-- 9
IPMA 706-34-01 xx??-?xxx-xx-- AA 8
SCCM 724-04-01 xxx?-xxxx-xx-- 4
HCM 734-01-01 xxxx-xxx?-xx-- 1
HCM 734-01-02 x?xx-xxxx-xx-- 3

hey @antho , you didn’t ask me, but I figured where I’m having the same issue after updating I would share my values.

Previously it would definitely only work over 35ish mph so when I was testing tonight I was sure to use dark roads that I could get over 40 mph on. The behavior is very strange, it’s almost like a mix of glare free and standard high beams. I did try the suggestions earlier in this post changing right/left but no luck.
I quoted both of you gentlemen because you both made the same point in respect to "a mix" between traditional auto High/Low and what we became accustomed to with Anti-Glare ramping.

I have done all the recent updates and every drive I make after dark includes the ~5 minutes of perfect dark road for witnessing this lighting technology. I noticed that the feature now launches at 32mph instead of 33, as it did before the updates.
And it's obvious that the first low>high is NOT ramped, but pretty much the traditional instant high. But the same reflections and occasional yard/house light that would trigger beam shaping still triggers beam shaping and that beam shaping is a "ramping" experience.
Also, if a car enters the road from a driveway and suddenly presents significant oncoming lights, rather than a car that was already coming at a distance but finally close enough to trigger light shaping/dimming, that sudden bright light adjustment is the unramped dimming. Yet the gradual approaching car will trigger the normal Anti-glare dimming/shaping. I hope that makes sense.

I'm convinced this is a change in Anti-glare strategy, more than it is a malfunction of some kind. Or put another way, I am not experiencing any codes and it's still very much an Anti-glare experience compared to my other vehicles with auto high/low headlights.

I admit I preferred the previous strategy overall, but I'm still experiencing what I MOST enjoy about Anti-glare. Which is seeing that my truck is literally projecting more light to the left of an oncoming vehicle, and further, than it is AT the vehicle. It's still amazing to see the ditch and front yard on my left as a car approaches, but not be lighting up the road in their lane. I want so bad to know how the heck the projector can accomplish that.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I've never noticed light to left as you describe. It is more cutting out all the light on left side than shaping. I'll have to monitor it more. Really I don't drive much at night outside of going to work so not a lot of time to see it in action.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I've never noticed light to left as you describe. It is more cutting out all the light on left side than shaping. I'll have to monitor it more. Really I don't drive much at night outside of going to work so not a lot of time to see it in action.
Easy to see if the road has trees in the yards of houses.
The trees will be lit up farther out than the lane the oncoming car is in. You normally do not look in that direction when driving. So it goes unnoticed until you intentionally look for it.

Then look at the trees to the right of the road you realize it's casting the same. Are very close to the same.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Always notice it on right and I've thought it's cool seeing brightly lit right side and dim left side at same time.

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
I did notice the new IPMA has the the Highbeam config with ADB and Glare Free seperate.
Mine throws an incompatible DTC if I set ADB in the IPMA.

I will try GFHB in the SCCM just for completeness since I have messed with pretty much everything else headlight related at this point.

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
I quoted both of you gentlemen because you both made the same point in respect to "a mix" between traditional auto High/Low and what we became accustomed to with Anti-Glare ramping.

I have done all the recent updates and every drive I make after dark includes the ~5 minutes of perfect dark road for witnessing this lighting technology. I noticed that the feature now launches at 32mph instead of 33, as it did before the updates.
And it's obvious that the first low>high is NOT ramped, but pretty much the traditional instant high. But the same reflections and occasional yard/house light that would trigger beam shaping still triggers beam shaping and that beam shaping is a "ramping" experience.
Also, if a car enters the road from a driveway and suddenly presents significant oncoming lights, rather than a car that was already coming at a distance but finally close enough to trigger light shaping/dimming, that sudden bright light adjustment is the unramped dimming. Yet the gradual approaching car will trigger the normal Anti-glare dimming/shaping. I hope that makes sense.

I'm convinced this is a change in Anti-glare strategy, more than it is a malfunction of some kind. Or put another way, I am not experiencing any codes and it's still very much an Anti-glare experience compared to my other vehicles with auto high/low headlights.

I admit I preferred the previous strategy overall, but I'm still experiencing what I MOST enjoy about Anti-glare. Which is seeing that my truck is literally projecting more light to the left of an oncoming vehicle, and further, than it is AT the vehicle. It's still amazing to see the ditch and front yard on my left as a car approaches, but not be lighting up the road in their lane. I want so bad to know how the heck the projector can accomplish that.
I agree with everything you said and I have the same conclusion at this point.

Sponsored

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
man who would have thought a simple update would be such a huge disruption! what update did this? not an OTA right? you guys updated through FDRS?

anyway, the ramp up/down IMO is a super nice feature. i love how the lights behave in Glare Free compared to Auto High Beams...that said, if there is no way to fix it, at the end of the day, seems GF is still working. Maybe Ford thought the ramping down was too slow for oncoming traffic so now they've eliminated the ramping feature. this is a lot to follow. mine still ramp which means i'll assume i havent gotten the said update yet.

OP
OP
Ffdlt371

Ffdlt371

First Name
Erik Preteska
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid Platinum
I can't speak for everyone here, but I used FDRS. I believe the update is meant to be OTA. The update was for the IPMA. It also enabled the ability to turn on the side cameras view with turn signal while towing. If you have those cameras.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
No one has it OTA yet.
Ford isn't rushing into it (they never do).

CheifT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
man who would have thought a simple update would be such a huge disruption! what update did this? not an OTA right? you guys updated through FDRS?

anyway, the ramp up/down IMO is a super nice feature. i love how the lights behave in Glare Free compared to Auto High Beams...that said, if there is no way to fix it, at the end of the day, seems GF is still working. Maybe Ford thought the ramping down was too slow for oncoming traffic so now they've eliminated the ramping feature. this is a lot to follow. mine still ramp which means i'll assume i havent gotten the said update yet.
I have a Canadian truck. After an update in FDRS GF changed from being gradual to almost instant.

OP
OP
Ffdlt371

Ffdlt371

First Name
Erik Preteska
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid Platinum
IPMA 706-01-01 xxxx-xxx?-xx-- 9
IPMA 706-34-01 xx??-?xxx-xx-- AA 8
SCCM 724-04-01 xxx?-xxxx-xx-- 4
HCM 734-01-01 xxxx-xxx?-xx-- 1
HCM 734-01-02 x?xx-xxxx-xx-- 3

hey @antho , you didn’t ask me, but I figured where I’m having the same issue after updating I would share my values.

Previously it would definitely only work over 35ish mph so when I was testing tonight I was sure to use dark roads that I could get over 40 mph on. The behavior is very strange, it’s almost like a mix of glare free and standard high beams. I did try the suggestions earlier in this post changing right/left but no luck.

My settings are the same as above. I just made a change in my SCCM. The value was a 4. I changed it to a 3. The 3 is glare free lighting. We'll see if it makes any difference tonight.

You will see in the pic that the option for Auto high beam is set to Adaptive driving beam. I changed that value to Glare free lighting. It changes the above value from a 4 to a 3.

Ford F-150 Glare free lights acting funny 20240126_132134
Sponsored